Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 5,261 to 5,280 of 10,087

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @Kidfried @TheIdleCritic Another one here that just couldn’t stay with that show beyond about 20 minutes. It didn’t help that once I tuned in it was a bunch of e-sports awards that I couldn’t care less about and the epitome of bloat — Stephen A. “Hyperbole Incarnate” Smith was a presenter. Click. Turned it off and decided to use my time playing some God of War instead.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

I watched the whole thing without touching a drop of alcohol. I somewhat regret my time sink.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheIdleCritic

@Th3solution I really do want it to be good, for Geoff's sake, but it's just not worth it. Especially currently living in the UK, I can't be doing with staying up until 3am when I need to be up by 8.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oof, they do eSports as well now? Nothing had me running from a previous E3 faster than tuning in early for a show and catching the last five minutes of some open-air eSports thing. I get it, there's diversity in gaming and yay for achievement and whatnot, but it was 98% obnoxious screaming.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

TheIdleCritic

@RogerRoger Lots of "Twitch's best streamer", "best esports team", etc. Yawn.
It has the opposite problem from the Baftas and other film awards ceremonies where they don't showcase some smaller but integral positions within a crew, and relegate them to the website list or a quick rundown during the credits - whereas TGA needs to show less!

Edited on by TheIdleCritic

Th3solution

@RogerRoger To be fair, the e-sports awards were divvied out in pretty quick succession, and a presenter who kept it flowing and had a pleasant cadence and appeal, although it was enough to put one into a deep slumber. Then they put on Stephen A. to make the next e-sports award presentation and he started off with his ridiculous pandering to the e-sports crowd and his preacher style ranting and I just couldn’t.

So, it’s very possible that I just happened to tune in at the wrong 20 minute section. But based on the comments, it apparently just went from bad to worse.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I have to say that I really didn’t see this coming. Considering that this year has essentially been defined by staunch unwillingness to change opinion in any sense or admit failings, both in gaming and outside of it, I would have thought there’d be more people defending CDPR until their dying breath. I can’t wait for the exposé to come out though, the internal conflict in CDPR sounds like an absolute mess.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I feel like the game's failings are so profound that even the Cyberpunk community couldn't ignore it. But, you're right, kudos to them for rising above the tribalistic instincts currently swallowing American society whole.

Given the state of the A.I. in this game, I feel like everyone must have known this was a year or so away from being fully baked. This is reminding me a whole lot of the debacle with No Man's Sky, honestly. Hopefully that stays true in terms of persistent post-launch support to fix the game up.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, graphical glitches aside, it’s the shoddy AI that’s turning me off. I can deal with animation glitches and the like as they can be funny but AI where cars follow predetermined paths? Where everyone has the same reaction to being ‘scared’ by doing the same pose? It’s just kinda mad considering how long this game was in the oven, how badly the staff were overworked and how many times it was delayed.

Ralizah

Definitely. Stuff like, err... basic or altogether absent A.I. for NPCs and drivers, lol... isn't a lack of polish. Parts of this game are just plain unfinished. The project's internal and external timelines seem to have been VERY mismatched, and I'm guessing the management kept announcing mini-delays out of desperation when they realized this. The proper thing to do would have been to announce it for a mid-2021 release and emphasize that it's a game primarily designed to be played on next gen systems.

It's particularly funny when you consider that there was even one of those promotional videos for it where the Ghost in the Shell trailer narrator guy talked up the game's believable A.I.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

Arugula wrote:

@JohnnyShoulder Wow. Nice work! I haven't even started on Christmas shopping. 14 hour days 6 days a week kind of puts little things like real life on hold. 😅

@Arugula I thought I move our conversation here. I'm usually quite organised, but even more so this year due the current circumstances, and working from home has its advantages. Not that I have a great deal to get anyway. We scaled things back a few years back in our family as it was becoming too expensive for some people to buy for everyone.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

TheIdleCritic

YOU KNOW WHAT I CANNOT FATHOM??? HOW I'VE SPENT HOURS AND HOURS ON A LEVEL OF CRASH BANDICOOT 1 THAT SHOULD TAKE 3 MINUTES. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

nessisonett

@TheIdleCritic Is it the one on the bridge perchance?

nessisonett

@TheIdleCritic Oh yeah that one was pretty annoying. I will say that I just couldn’t be arsed getting 100% on the first Crash game but the second is a lot better and the physics engine seems to suit it a lot more as well.

TheIdleCritic

@nessisonett I hate it. I really hate it.
It doesn't have the slamming, or the sliding, or the helpful little landing indicator. And WHY does he move on different planes (plains?) Some of the levels are 2D, why on earth does he have movement depth? Sometimes when I jump on a turtle, he lands off behind it. Sometimes he doesn't hit the box above it because for some reason he's jumped up and he's moved from the X axis (?). Grrr.

nessisonett

@TheIdleCritic Congrats, you’ve done what I genuinely said ‘sod it’ to! I look forward to seeing your frustration towards the later levels 😂

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic