Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,881 to 4,900 of 10,111

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter You could always try them on Game Pass and then buy them physically if you enjoy them. I do that with movies and music too, I’ll stream and if I like them, I’ll support the artists by getting them physically. Everybody wins.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Anti-Matter

@nessisonett
Funny, i have subscribed NSO (Nintendo Switch Online) but i rarely to touch any app from NSO. Even the NES and SNES games from NSO despite i might have a little curiosity to try out. Something that telling me digital only are not for me. It already happened with my digital only games i have purchased, i didn't touch them anymore since then.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter But... they’re on the console? It’s the exact same game, you’re not missing out on anything and those NSO games aren’t on the console in any other way. I just don’t get why you wouldn’t play the game if you already owned it digitally. Think about that Sims 4 DLC you have, was that on a disc? No, it was added digitally.

Anti-Matter

@nessisonett
It was strange.
My body is refuse to accept the existence of my purchased digital only games but my body reacts normally for DLC things as long the main game is physical.
I found myself neglected some eshop only games such as FF Tactics Advance GBA Wii U VC, Dr Luigi Wii U, Super Mario World Wii U VC, a few of under $1.00 eshop games.

Anti-Matter

Kidfried

@Anti-Matter is it always easy to get the games you want physically? Because here in Europe it would be pretty difficult to find some of the games you like on a disc.

Thanks to digital I was able to discover some non-Western games that were hardly for sale in my local game store.

Kidfried

Anti-Matter

@Kidfried
Some of physical games are very hard to find or nearly impossible due to its rarity or the price.
But once i get them, it will be very worthy treasure.
The games i'm looking for mostly in physical and have no digital version.

Anti-Matter

Thrillho

25 years today since the PSone released in the UK!

That sound

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Wow, do I feel old today.

Is it me, or did the first screen of that two-part logo last a little longer than usual? Shows how big an impact that console had on me, that I can spot an errant second of lag!

So many memories, and almost all of them good (thank you, rose-tinted specs).

Many happy returns, PSone!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger It’s longer than it ought to be.

However, it is pretty on point for my experience as I had a “modded” console that would frequently freeze between the two screens or after the PlayStation logo so I always had to wait to see if it was going to work or not.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho I remember the day my Dad opened up my PSone in an attempt to mod it, because one of my cousins had successfully done so and was playing a bunch of... let's call them "alternately-sourced" games. After a couple seconds watching him prod circuit boards with a screwdriver, I quickly said "Nope, I'm happy with my normal games, thanks!" and took it away from him.

Was always surprised by how little was inside the plastic, though. You get an impression of consoles having this solid mass of really clever guts working overtime, but most of it was hollow!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger I seem to remember there was a way to play “alternately-sourced” games without modding by swapping discs in and out as the spin speed changed while you held the little button inside the console down.

I don’t know if anyone ever did so successfully though.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Ah, the good ol' days, when you could fiddle with discs and cartridges as the console booted up and get all sorts of wacky results.

Like the infamous "tilting" of an N64 cartridge to produce this hilarity...

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Yeah, I take back what I said about studying from home being great. They’ve squished my classes into one semester so I do 3 this semester and 3 after Christmas. This means I’m currently doing an assessment worth 30% of my final mark in week 2. Poor Ezio’s not getting the love he deserves but I’m trying to at least polish off Hollow Knight in my self-designated breaks from bashing my head against a wall thanks to the wonder that is Haskell. Why couldn’t I have picked an easy degree like history or nuclear physics 😜

nessisonett

@Kidfried Writing a text editor in Haskell feels like using an oar to pick your nose.

Black_Swordsman

Does anyone else feel like gaming is truly a double-edged sword? Sometimes I feel quite frustrated and stressed and just quit, some people call it rage-quitting, I don't really feel rage so much as frustration though. But anyway, I do pick up the game again the next morning and have another go, rinse and repeat until I break through the barrier. Do you think that is something we have in common as gamers? The hardcore 'players' who just won't let it go? It's all worth it for that feeling of satisfaction once we have finally triumphed over an obstacle.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I definitely think gaming is a unique form of home entertainment, specifically because of its skill requirement. No book has ever slammed itself shut halfway through and quizzed its reader before opening itself back up, and no movie has ever asked us to perform some hand-eye co-ordination tests before showing us its final act. I don't get the same sense of achievement from marathoning a television show than I do from completing a game.

You're not alone in "rage-quitting" (agreed, it's a bad name for it, but it's what we've got). I can get frustrated by games which have great stories, but which prevent me from seeing them through in a timely manner because I suck at pushing buttons fast enough.

But a little frustration can be healthy for gaming, I think, as it'll inevitably make victory sweeter. Like all relationships, we put up with the occasional disagreement because we're in love; I love gaming, so I'll accept its challenges every once in a while (and besides, once I've got the trophy to show for my struggle, I'll never have to do it again... yes, I'm looking at you, Uncharted on Crushing).

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@Draco_V_Ecliptic @RogerRoger I know you feel. I get frustrated with games if I don't feel I'm making progress towards something. I think that because I only 1 or 2 hours a day (and not every day) to game, I want it to feel like I have accomplished something and with such a large backlog I get frustrated. Also because I'm not a great player, it means I have to be really dedicated to some things to continue.

Gaming is weird as a hobby - you can literally spend 2 hours and not progress a game one bit (except for perhaps getting marginally better). It's not the same as a movie and book. You can't say, well I watched a 2 hour film last night and now I need to watch it again because I didn't get anywhere with it.

I felt hugely down playing Sekiro which is why I quit. I was spending literally evenings of gaming time getting my bottom kicked and being so bad at the game that I had to hit a brick wall everytime until I learnt all the boss moves. It just wasn't doing my mental health much good. That said, for others this process of getting better and self improvement is WHY They game and that's good as well.

It is why i am in favour of accessibility options in games. I know a lot of Gamers (tm) don't like it but it does mean that games can't gate content. I'm playing Hades at the moment and it has an option to subtly reduce difficulty as you progress through runs. I haven't used it yet but I think it is great because I like the story and character but if I hit a brick wall I can push through. At the same time, there is a crazy difficulty level for those that want it and fair play to those that do.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic