Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 441 to 460 of 2,131

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty Enemies just refuse to die on hardcore, it’s better to shoot them in the face and run past them. Occasionally their heads explode which is great but I’m dreading having to go back and revisit areas with about 20 zombies running about.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Oh? I don't have an arrange game setting @RogerRoger on my copy. Just a choice of Easy or Normal difficulty (With easy giving you 128 or so Handgun bullets to start with)... That's pretty neat regardless letting you start with all those goodies!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Are you playing it from a disc, or as a PSone Classic download? Because I'm using the latter on my PS3 and did notice that it said "SCEA - Sony Computer Entertainment America" on the boot-up screen, rather than our usual SCEE for Europe. PSN must have just ported the American code over for the Region 2 store, and I guess (?!) that's why it's different.

Made it to the sewer drain in the Police Station kennels, and have saved nearby. I don't trust Ada Wong as far as I could throw her, by the way... just putting that on record. I'm gonna brace myself and stick my head down the drain tomorrow, see what these blocky spiders are all about and go hunting for the Club Key. Judging from a few map clues, the sewers don't seem too big an area, and my trusty SMG is helping me overcome all challenges with ease, so I might be alright. Wish me luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

It's a shame you won't be able to join us @Ralizah for this. I hope whatever it is that's causing you to be busy (Presumably work) eases up for you

I'm playing the original disc version @RogerRoger.

There was a dual shock version re-release in Japan and America only (So Wiki says at least) so that's the version you've got possibly? (Which might explain why you have an american version rather then the european one and the unique arrange mode setting too).

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, a variety of things, unfortunately.

Despite having other commitments, though, I'll be tethered to the TV tonight with my family. Time to see if we have any hope of righting this ship, or if America is going the way of the Roman Empire.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’ll probably stay up tonight and watch it too. I’ve been grinding for hours in FFV Advance and I have a sorta morbid curiosity to see how it pans out. I picked the perfect time for us to play Resident Evil 2 though, between the police station full of dead bodies, corrupt chief and deadly virus, it mirrors real life rather closely!

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, a variety of things, unfortunately.

Despite having other commitments, though, I'll be tethered to the TV tonight with my family. Time to see if we have any hope of righting this ship, or if America is going the way of the Roman Empire.

Oh shoot! It completely slipped my mind @Ralizah that it's the American election (thanks to me being fairly busy myself today).

Guess I'll be giving a look at it too and I know It's not much but here's hoping it plays out like you desire Ral.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah, that's it. My main menu has "DualShock" in the title.

I wonder what other differences it boasts? Once I've finished the game (if I ever finish the game) I'll do some research and see. I always find that kinda stuff interesting!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Col_McCafferty

Well, I've finally met Mr X and he has quickly gone from terrifying to flat out annoying lol

I think I'm doing okay overall but at times it's easy to forget what you are actually trying to do. Very good game though and I'm still on Standard mode!

Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

Okay, okay. The game can be frustrating at times but eventually the right path is found and progression, whilst slow, can be very satisfying. Haven't not played the original the story is fresh to me and has quite the few twists and turns.

I've had some interesting encounters and am now out of the original location. Not sure how far I've got left with route A but I suspect even more shocks are around the corner!

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

It’s the weekend, people! This week, I think we’ll set the minimum checkpoint as getting out of the parking garage. That’s a fair chunk of gameplay so hopefully you can get it done to keep the pace up!

nessisonett

Played a bit more today. I’m back into the police station but low on health, with only 1 ink ribbon left. Hardcore is proper tense 😂

Th3solution

I’ve made it through the initial parking garage section, then into the next section at the police station. I made it all the way through to Mr. X and have had a rough time with him following me around for the last couple hours. But I finally got all the puzzles done and have cleared the whole Police Station map... at least all the red rooms on the map are now grayed out showing that I got all the items in them. There are a few rooms that I don’t have access to and rooms behind a spade key that I can assume I’ll have to get later or perhaps only through Leon in playthrough B. After being sure I got everything, I obtained the parking garage key card, only to have the phone ring and it’s switched over to now play as Sherry where I’m supposed to find a way to escape from the Police Chief.
I think I’ll stop and rest right here for now. I’m not sure if this is the goal point for the week, but I’ve gotta be pretty close if not.

This has been a really tough section, but very enjoyable. Just when you start to feel confident, they introduce Mr. X. He’s not too terribly tough to avoid but if you haven’t cleared out a hallway or a room and you’re running away from him into a nest of lickers, you’re toast! That has scared and frustrated me the most. Stupid lickers. 😅

As a general comment — I feel like the quality of life improvements over RE1 Remake are just plain wonderful. The map is excellently realized. The way it shows you what’s in the room (after you’ve visited it) and color codes it red if it’s still not complete, and just the flow of the map is much better than the first game in my opinion. Also, the ability to drop and discard items is much appreciated so that I’m not fighting inventory management nearly as much. In fact, now having got 3 inventory expansion upgrades now, I feel like I’ve got room to spare.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Col_McCafferty

I'm making good progress, don't wish to get into spoilers but think I'm getting close to the end of Claire's journey.

I think so anyway.

🙄

Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

Done it, finished Claire's journey. Some very tense moments, some not so nice surprises and a few very memorable enemies. The puzzles were at times challenging, fun and a tad annoying!

Overall I really enjoyed it if that's the correct word. I think in a weird way playing both Days Gone and The Last of Us Part II earlier on in the year helped. Helped me get through some of the tenser scenes (in particular chapters like The Descent from Part II which I found to be the equal of almost everything in Resi 2).

Ammo definitely seemed more easier to find in Part II whilst you can of course stock up at a merchants in Days Gone. If I could add anything from either of those two games it would be having a better and more consistent melee weapon than just a knife. Maybe it could be breakable but it would be a good option to have.

Now I've just got to steel my nerves and start a second run this time as Leon. I guess I can't say I've truly finished the game until I have done so. It should be fascinating to see the similarities and the difference.

I only obtained a C grade as Claire so hoping to better that. I never put it down to Easy mode though, can't take that away from me.

😜

Edited on by Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

Th3solution

@Col_McCafferty Nicely done! Did you happen to notice what your time was for the playthrough? I’m at about 5 hours I think and I just made it through the orphanage. I was thrilled when Mr. X got skewered by the big G virus dude. Thank you!

The whole reveal that G monster is Sherry’s father was spoiled to me in the trailers. I think it would have been cool to learn that during that cutscene. Ah well.
And for some reason I remember very little of the game’s story from my playthrough a long time ago on PS1.

Are you able to rank the 3 zombie games in any order of preference? Realizing that you haven’t played route B with Leon yet, but I have not played either Days Gone or TLoU2. But actually feel like TLoU2 seems more creepy since it appears to be more realistic whereas RE is kinda campy and far fetched.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Col_McCafferty

@Th3solution Thanks! Around 14 hrs, a lot of going back on myself and dropping things off in s container and going out for more and waiting, lots of waiting especially for Mr X.

Resi 2 is obviously set up to be more of an outright horror game than einter of the other two BUT there are a number of scenes and locations in TLoU 2 that are just as tense as anything in Resi. They're both very good games.

Days Gone is more of an action game than a horror, there are some jump scares and a couple of battles that play out underground that had me on edge.

Col_McCafferty

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry been rather busy the past week with work. Lockdown may've happened but teaching certainly didn't 😅

I should get some of the original Resi 2 played today and make some actual progress beyond the first ten minutes and let you all know how it differs from the remake...

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The more I play, the more I realize how much I forgot about the original. And actually, I’m suspicious now that I may not have actually finished the game when I played on PS1 because many of these story beats don’t seem very familiar. But then it may be because the Remake added some of it, so I’m not sure.

HallowMoonshadow

You're playing as Claire in REmake 2 correct @Th3solution?

The main differences between the two that I know of so far is the statue in the main hall only has one medallion slot and gives you a key in the original (Club? Or maybe Spade if I recall correctly) and that scenario A doesn't involve Mr X in the slightest... He only shows up in the B scenario on the PS1.

Sherry's also a bit of a brat in this version if I remember right The orphanage you speak of with her is entirely new... Might be mentioned in the original but you certainly don't go there in this one. I believe there's just the station and two other locations?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yes, I’m playing as Claire for route A. I had read it was a little easier. The second weapon she gets is the grenade launcher with flame rounds or acid rounds so I think it’s stronger than Leon’s. I don’t know.

But that makes sense why so much of this is unfamiliar. First off, I think I played as Leon back on PS1 and I’m not sure I finished to the end and am fairly certain I didn’t play a route B so never ran into Mr X. And I didn’t remember the orphanage either, so it makes sense that it wasn’t even part of the playthrough. I do remember G virus dude. I distinctly remember the big eyeball growing out of his body. And Sherry is right adorable in this version. At least so far.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic