Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,131

Kidfried

@Th3solution In learning to drive. I had about three hours of lessons so far. And it's all still very new to me, but I like it. I'm about as good at it as I'm good at Dark Souls.

Kidfried

Kidfried

I'm half an hour or so into Erica and I have to say it's pretty good so far. Scarier than I thought, but the visual direction and music is amazing. The main character's acting is also pretty good so far.

I'm hyped for the rest of the game, but it's already past midnight. So I'll try again tomorrow!

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I fear for my future driving instructor because of the carnage I cause in games like GTA. At least I’m alright at racing games, that might help 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

crimsontadpoles

I always figured that I'd love FMV games, and now I know that to be true.

After playing for a couple of hours or so, I've reached an ending. Out of all the decisions, the toughest one for me was the very first choice: whether to control the game with a smartphone app or the controller touch pad. Naturally I spent some time on the internet looking to see whether the app is worth it. Either way the game uses fiddly touch controls, but supposedly a smartphone is a bit better for precise actions so I went with that.

With these kinds of games, I'm always fascinated by what would have happened if I had made different choices. So perhaps I'll do some more playthroughs at some point, make different choices, and maybe go for the Platinum trophy.

Th3solution

@Kidfried Lol, driving is nothing like Dark Souls. And it’s actually nothing like DriveClub, GTA, or Gran Turismo. It is more like... a walking sim on wheels. Slow and methodical. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@crimsontadpoles The platinum trophy requires 6 playthroughs or something. If you're up to it, power to you, but that's way too much for me.

I just finished the game, and I'm actually more positive about than I expected to be beforehand.

The great production, acting and music certainly helps. But what also helped was that this game had me actually scared, which hadn't happened for quite some time. I actually turned on some more lights at some point, because it was getting a bit too much.

I think the combination of having agency, but at the same time not having it, works to great effect here. Every choice I made, had me shiver, because I was afraid of what might happen. And with the game being so short, it also felt like every choice might be my last choice. Pretty impactful stuff.

Could the execution be better? Absolutely. More branching of story? Could have elevated this thing. The story could also have been way better.

Oh, and of course, the game could have been way better at picking what moments are great for some interacting. Opening a door myself is exciting because it's exciting to see what could be behind it, but opening the lighter on the other hand, rather feels like a distraction from the game than adding anything to it. Devs should have trimmed that fat.

But it's like Kanye West once sang "you're not perfect, but you're not your mistakes". And I think that's true here too. This game is pretty good for what it does deliver, and with it being cheap and not too long, it's an easy recommendation to anyone who could dig this genre of game.

Kidfried

ralphdibny

@crimsontadpoles was anything shown on the smartphone screen out of interest? Just wondering if anything would be missed if I just played on the touchpad. Both ways are obviously quite unique methods of play, just wondering what your thoughts are on it!

See ya!

nessisonett

I should really put this onto download, Flight Simulator was 120GB so took up a day and a half and I totally forgot about Erica!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

phil_j

@ralphdibny the touch controls work better in the app. I found it a bit hit and miss on the touchpad sometimes. But fundamentally they work in the exact same way.

phil_j

ralphdibny

@phil_j hmm well hopefully I can give it a go today, if not tomorrow. I'm definitely curious about this game, we've come a long way since night trap!

@nessisonett Christ! I really Wana try flight simulator but I definitely don't have a computer that's good enough to run it. Hopefully it comes to Xbox one but somehow I think they're going to save it for series X

See ya!

ralphdibny

Just played through Erica, bit of a mixed bag for me tbh. The sets, direction, acting and execution of the gameplay including the seamless blend between the controls and the on screen action were all brilliant. Unfortunately I just found the story really uninteresting, I'm not sure why but it didn't really grab me. It's weird, it's kind of like a good game/film just made bad by its story.

That being said, I am interested in what happens on the alternate pathways so I'd love to hear what other people did. Personally I checked on Toby, got drunk with Toby, questioned basically everything, I trusted the cop but unfortunately got him killed. I was resistant to the killer woman but I did go with her and obviously something was up at Delphi and I wasn't being given the full story so I decided to kill that bald doctor dude even though I said I wouldn't. Oh yeah and I burned the place down.

Did anyone actually work out what was going on there?

As for phone/controller, my screen protector is so messed up I daresay I'd have better luck trying to open a lighter on the DS4 touch pad but at least my phone gave me a bigger canvas to draw willies any time I had to clear some dirt or mist in the game!

The video was so in sync in the interactive moments it almost seemed like it was CGI rather than film in places. Definitely a cool execution of these ideas! I doubt I'll play through it again though to find out what happens on alternate paths but hopefully some of you will share your stories and fill in the gaps!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

Oh yeah and why do they keep police evidence in the sort of half plastic half paper pastry bags you might get from M&S 😂

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LieutenantFatman

@ralphdibny
Dual purpose, you can use them for transporting doughnuts as well. It's like the multi tool of the bag world. Can even place one over your head when you need a last second disguise.

LieutenantFatman

crimsontadpoles

@ralphdibny That's fairly close to what I did. I made some fragrances with Hannah instead of getting drunk with Tobi, but the rest of it is about the same. Similarly to you, I begrudgingly went with the killer woman, shoot the bald doctor dude, and burnt the whole place down. I did mess up when trying to save someone near the end though.

So I'm also not too sure what was going on.

My plan is to play through the game once more over the weekend, and make the complete opposite choices to my first playthrough. After that, not sure if I'll do any more or not.

ralphdibny

@LieutenantFatman my mate once did magneto with a red bucket on his head with an M cut out of it to show his face, it looked quite good but considering we'd all made some serious X men costumes for ourselves he did look a little out of place! I just remembered another mate actually did Raiden from mortal Kombat with a lampshade on his head painted yellow and a dressing gown on another night out but that didn't look too bad either

@crimsontadpoles nice yeah I guess I just chose things depending on how I felt toward the situation which is how I tend to play these sorts of games usually, so I'm glad im not alone in my reactions to certain situations. I considered your option but I just thought Tobi would be more fun/interesting and apart from some implied sexual tension, it wasn't really. That other poor girl on the balcony didn't even get a look-in! I only noticed the option to go see her just as I was choosing Tobi. Was it her you didn't save by choosing the right drug? I knew epinephrine was adrenaline and I didn't think it would work but I didn't know what lidocaine and the other one was so I just went for the adrenaline in the end and it seemed to do the trick!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic