Forums

Topic: Push Square Formula 1 thread - F1

Posts 501 to 520 of 763

themightyant

The top 7 were all within 0.15 of a second with a few minutes to go. Albon in the Williams with a fastest middle sector… All very exciting… until Max went 0.53 ahead with a minute to go in a car he’s struggling with this weekend. Just a shame that it’s all so close except that one car! We’re so close to a thrilling season, except that gap to red bull.

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant I couldn't quite bring myself to get up for quali live but just watched the 9am rerun as if live.
You're right, if RB is taken out of the mix it is an incredibly close battle for the rest. Hulk and Albon were smashing it all through quali. I don't recall Melbourne Park being great for overtakes but hopefully things remain close and there some good battles tomorrow. I'll make the effort to get up for the race tomorrow but might not catch the usual hour and half build up.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Mr_B021

Just 0.236 between P1 and P2. And with the car concept Mercedes is looking to ditch for more performance. Interesting 🤔 I just hope it is cold and wet during the race

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

BearsEatBeets

@Mr_B021 Does make you wonder if some in Mercedes will start to wonder if they really do need to scrap the concept and not just develop it. Dry start, then some rain which stops and starts to dry up again normally makes for some good fun.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@Mr_B021 Worth bearing in mind when you look at Max's lap that he was struggling with the car in these conditions, lots of corrections, as was Checo with disastrous results. Max was also out of sync with the others on that final run, having just pitted, everyone else had an additional warm up lap.

I'd LOVE it to be closer. But I think this is more of a blip. This Red Bull, on this track, in these specific conditions, with their strategy, etc. rather than anything longer term. And STILL, despite their struggles, Max got P1 by almost a quarter of a second and I think the REAL gap is still larger.

More worryingly they have generally set up their car for race pace rather than qualifying this year as they have so much in the tank. All in all i'm still expecting Max to disappear into the distance tomorrow, but who knows off the line, crazy things can happen!

It is interesting on Mercedes side, but I think the reality is they want to be winners, not P2 and they don't think this car can win against Red Bull.

I can understand some people getting annoyed at them and their drivers for 'moaning' about their cars performance when they end up scaping a podium or here get P2&3 in Quali, but the reality is they are marking themselves against that Red Bull. It's a winners mentality, not to be happy with second place.

@BearsEatBeets I've got the alarm set for 6. Warm up lap etc. then the race. Not doing all the grid walk etc. either.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant I'm going to try for about 5:30, catch just the grid walk and any incidents or events that may have affected the grid/start. Plus it gives me more time to rouse from my morning zombie state. I will likely still be watching from bed though 🙂

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

What a start for Mercedes but can’t see them holding of a RB with drs.

Sucks for Leclerc, that’s the downside of gravel traps.

Well that helped wake me up.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Chances are there will be another sc.

Update: Just as I type that red flag. Unlucky for George, Carlos, etc. Didn’t look like it would be red

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

Wow! Gone from looking great for Russell to terrible in a blink of an eye. Don’t like that they can change tyres with a red flag, think they should change that and only allow it for weather condition changes.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets 100% agreed.

Ferraris awful season continues. Charles out, Carlos also compromised by red flag

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

I agree with Jensen that the Red Flag seems overly cautious and spoils the race. Unlikely to be any pit stops now.
Odd one for Albon, only seen it back once as I took the opportunity to grab a cuppa but the backend just seemed to flip out suddenly.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Ooh cuppa good idea! And perhaps a oil change 😂

Not made it out of bed.

Definitely an odd one for Alex and super dangerous for the others who wouldn’t have been able to see with the dust cloud, yet slowing down suddenly just as dangerous with cars around. Cross yourself time

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant I never acquired a taste for coffee so I think your higher caffeine strategy will give you an advantage over me 😁

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets it was a Ferrari like omni-shambles ran out of tea yesterday. Shops later. Coffee was Plan Z

themightyant

themightyant

Talking of omni-shambles that formation lap! Looks like Lewis got it wrong, might get penalised. (EDIT: he was right)

But the cars stacking behind round a blind corner, amazed, and thankful, nothing worse happened. Scary stuff!

Max disappearing as expected. Easy overtake.

George great restart and back up to fourth. They look quick today

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

Another great start from George thankfully. And as I type Max takes the lead which is not in the least surprising.

I’m hoping the hards end up not lasting to spice things up near the end.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets Yes on the hards. Though they all changed about the same time. Who are the usual Tire Whisperers? Lewis, Checo (who’s only made up 3 places!!! EDIT: he’s carving the field now), Jenson (oh he’s been pitted for a while)

themightyant

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic