Forums

Topic: Gaming Tat (...Return of the Tat!)

Posts 701 to 720 of 729

RogerRoger

My bricky boy. <3

Untitled

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger Only just noticed your post. You took the plunge on BD1 then. Cool looking set, it looks pretty much 1:1 scale.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets That's a lovely Classic Sonic statue! Gosh, there have been a couple of very tempting pieces like that recently. Must be a growth market!

And yeah, I ended up getting quite a bit more LEGO than I'd planned. I think Beedee is a tad smaller than 1:1 but he's close enough, and turned out really well. Amongst all the sets I got, he's a definite highlight. Nice to see some of the Star Wars games get represented in LEGO form for once.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger It’s certainly a quality build. Maybe if it’s successful enough they might do a Mantis set with mini figs.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Now that the game's been a success and is getting a sequel, then there's hope, at least. I think they (LEGO) were nervous to commit early on, and said as much in an interview.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder It'll be nice to see Indy toys again. The stuff they did for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was pretty cool; lots of figures from all four films, and LEGO sets, too.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Amiami got some Mythra stock in (the 1/7 scale figure), and I managed to get an order in. Wanted her for a long time, so I'm happy. Wanted Pyra too, but she was out of stock.

For those that don't know, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters.

EDIT: Finally arrived! Hopefully I'll be able to get Pyra someday too.

Untitled

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ralphdibny

Finally made space for my reclining Buddah, and opened up my sealed Ken amiibo 😬 to make this scene possible:

Untitled

I also went through a bunch of street fighter games to find the correct colour Buddah to take a screenshot of (to show why I am trying to make this scene πŸ˜…), it was the last one I tried. Good job I have all these street fighter games on switch! Also, sending pics from switch to smart device is a total ballache:

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I've also put most of my amiibos and other trinkets in a display case that I bought recently. (I actually opened up a sealed Snake amiibo 😬 to take this photo). I don't even neccesarily want this lot on display but I have to put it somewhere. These are the ones I don't want to get rid of, everything else has been sold or is currently listed on ebay.

Untitled
Untitled

These are my remaining sealed amiibo that aren't being sold. Yes I did buy two Snakes, one to open and one to keep sealed πŸ˜…. Just took me a few years to actually open one of them!

Untitled

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Please tell me you sought out that reclining Buddha statue after buying those Street Fighter Amiibo, specifically to recreate that stage on your shelf, and that you didn't just luck out with some random souvenir that's been in your family for yonks...?!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger you always ask me questions that have long answers that you probably don't expect! πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

So the story of the Buddha.

It begins many years ago with the game Breath of the Wild. I loved the game and obsessed over it for many months, 100%ing the base game. You can scan amiibos into the game for goodies but each amiibo is only scannable once a day. During that time, I bought tons of discount amiibos from shops, anywhere between Β£3-10. Most of them are up for sale on eBay now though! My cabinet above is basically what's left. Anyway, Ryu was one such amiibo.

Fast forward some time to a family event at my uncles. I see he has this reclining Buddha on a shelf. My immediate thought is the Thailand stage from SF2 so I take a photo and Photoshop Ryu and possibly Sagat into it. I begin to desire this Buddha, wanting one day to make a diorama using my Ryu amiibo with it. But surely I can't ask my uncle for to hand over a decorative piece from his house. Where would I even put it?

Some more time later, the Ken Amiibo gets announced and I buy it because I still have this idea for a decorative scene in the back of my head. Ken isn't Sagat but he will do. It's nice to keep them both as amiibos right?

But I'm still too shy to ask my uncle for his Buddha. I start dropping hints to my mum that maybe she should ask for it for me. (She loves asking for junk and trying to give away her junk to other people)

So I moved in Dec 2021, maybe I'll have some space to make this scene possible? I find out during early 2022 that my uncle is refitting his kitchen to make it open plan with a dining area. The area knocked through is where the Buddha was displayed. I ask my mum to kick it up a notch, make a formal request for the Buddha itself. I received lots of pictures of Buddha's that my uncle had but none were the one I remembered. Lots of sitting buddhas but no reclining/sleeping buddas. I despair, perhaps the Buddha has been put in a skip during the refit!

I visit my uncles at some point still in early 2022. As I'm sitting down, I spot the reclining Buddha from afar, tucked into the back of an old TV unit. I don't say anything but later I tell my mum where it is and at some point my uncle drops it round to my mum's house. I go home to pick it up and it looks massive! Omg, where am I going to display this thing?!

With my dream so close, I start looking for other reclining buddhas but they are surprisingly hard to find. I've seen tiny ones for sale online, I checked in random stores whenever I'm in a new place, not a lot of luck.

Then I decide to rearrange some furniture and buy some new furniture. A space emerges. I go back to my mums, pick up the Buddha, open the Ken Amiibo, arrange it all and the picture above is the outcome!

It actually all worked out well to be honest because it looks like the Buddha is the exact correct proportions for the size of the amiibo!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny It's a gift. Or a curse. Whichever's the bad one.

The important thing is, you totally did find that statue in a random place, and it was a random bit of tat that's been in your family for yonks, and that's incredible! It's such a perfect fit for the Amiibo, and a frighteningly close representation of the Street Fighter stage!

Also, bonus points for the sentence, "I begin to desire this Buddha" which is something that A: I didn't expect to read today, and B: made me laugh out loud for some reason!

Quite the epic. Thanks for sharing (genuinely)!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha I had to read my post again because "I begin to desire the Buddha" sounds like such bad grammar πŸ˜‚

I realised I was speaking in the present tense while describing the past (whatever that's called grammatically πŸ˜…) so all good!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I believe it's just called "storytelling" and you're good at it, so definitely don't worry!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Wow what an adventure you went on to acquire that buddha @ralphdibny!

Found that line of "desiring the Buddha" quite ironic considering what he's supposed to represent and Buddhist beliefs in general but either way it was a great read and gave me a good chuckle this dreary Wednesday afternoon πŸ˜ƒ

Nice recreation too!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger danke Shan!

@HallowMoonshadow hahah yeah I suppose you are right. He shouldn't have made a cameo in street fighter 2 if he didn't want to be a desired ornament!!

Cheers! Glad it gave you a laugh too πŸ˜…

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic