Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year of 2021

Posts 41 to 60 of 103

Gremio108

@kyleforrester87 It seems weirdly straightforward compared to the last few instalments. Apparently the 'Drive 1000 miles' trophy was reduced in a patch from 'drive 10,000 miles' because fans kicked off about how long it would take

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Rudy_Manchego

To be honest - I have decided to go easy on myself for gaming New Years resolutions. 2020, with lockdown and all sorts was a time when I invested quite a lot of time and cash in hardware so I want to spend this time utilising them as much as possible. With that in mind, here are my plans:

1) Play more online with friends. Spent last night with two school friends playing Star Wars: Squadrons in VR (we all used to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter together back in the day) and it is a great way to stay in touch. Not a huge multiplayer fan and prefer co-op but locking S-Foils into attack positions with friends was awesome.

2) Support my local gaming stores - There is a great independent gaming store that does new games and retro titles about 20 minutes drive from me (they also post things too). I have started getting games through them and I'd like to do that with some other stockists in my area. They were able to source me a 3D pulse headset over New Year for the PS5 and it feels better than going through CEX or online stockists.

3) Continue my collection of physical PS4 exclusive titles. I have got into a bit of a collecting/hoarding of physical titles that are exclusive to PS4. Not so sure why but I still have a few to collect in physical form.

4) Go easy on myself and play what I feel like. I am weird and oddly my ridiculously huge backlog sometimes stresses me as I feel I should be playing everything. I want to sit back and ignore hype or anything and play games when the mood takes me. This is regardless of platform or game size.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

michaelpohara

Here's my gaming resolutions for the year:

1.) Beat at least 1 game a month on PS4/PS5, and try my hand at clearing out my backlog.

2.) Try to manage/limit my spending on the PS Store (I tend to buy in very large spurts approaching the max of the PSN dollar limit at times).

3.) Move away from playing/buying games on PC. I made the decision that when I walk out of my home office, that if I'm going to the couch/bed; that's where I will play games. No more sitting for 12-16 hours daily in said office, alternating between work and games.

4.) Actually wear my glasses when I'm playing games. 😂

Non-game related resolutions:
1.) Be a better husband to my wife.
2.) Exercise more often.
3.) Save for 2022 trip to Japan, provided the world is back to semi-normal.
4.) Keep at least one contract for my business the entire year.

"It is better to stay silent and let people assume you are a fool, than to speak and confirm their assumptions."

PSN: MikeOHara

Th3solution

@Rudy_Manchego I probably should be better about your #4 and I’m trying to follow my mood a little better. As a way to balance my need to relax and follow my mood along with the need to actually complete games and not end up with 50 games that I’ve started and stopped due to mood swings, I’m going to try a system where I have my backlog list broken down into a few categories and then use that as my way to plan my game time. Hopefully I can keep some gradual progression of reducing backlog while still getting the full enjoyment of completing games and simultaneously factoring in differing moods that way. I’m not sure if I’m making sense but I hope that I can relax and pick up a game from a certain genre rather than skipping around within several games within the same category and never finishing any of them.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

@michaelpohara Great list - I can particularly relate to number 3. I have my retro consoles and PC in my small work office which is where I spend most of my life as I currently work from home. I have gotten to a point where I am sat in my office for 8 plus hours for work, having dinner and doing bedtime with my kids then going straight in to game. Pre-lockdown, it used to be somewhere to go for some peace after a day at the office.

@Th3solution Thanks - it's a good ambition but I totally get where you are coming from. My progress on games seems to have slowed as I now have a few games on different systems to play through but I want to get used to that. I had a friend berate me for not starting Demon's Souls on PS5 yet as I bought it at launch and I want to play it but my current mood set is I want something a little easier to lose myself in. As it is, Hollow Knight has become my addiction as I can just spend ages wandering about and exploring.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

johncalmc

Oh another resolution is that I might start playing old games again that I might have missed or ones I haven't played for years. The Switch is great for this because I'm signed up to the online thing. I haven't played the likes of Super Metroid or Starfox for 100 years so I would like to get on that but I always just end up playing something on PS4 instead.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

An update is in order. The year is one quarter of the way done.

1. Replay at least 3 of my favorite games
1/3 — Uncharted Drake’s Fortune

2. Revisit at least 3 games that I abandoned and finally complete them
1/3 — I’m pretty close to finishing Persona 5. Not done yet, but I’m counting it because I’ve put some serious time back into it and I can almost smell the ending, I’m so close.
(Also tried to revisit Rayman Legends, but the second attempt also fizzled prematurely, so it will have to go back into the abandonment pile)

3. Play at least 1 FromSoftware game.
Not done yet, but because I accomplished goal #5 below, I might be headed toward Demon’s Souls. We’ll see.

4. Play 6 games from PS Plus
1/6 — if I count Hitman Season 1 which I currently am partially through.

5. Get a PS5
Accomplished
Only took me about 5 months of searching, bribing, and whining.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LieutenantFatman

@Th3solution
Nice work! I've still not managed to get one yet, should find one before the end the year, I'm sure!

LieutenantFatman

kyleforrester87

Literally halfway to my goal of 3000 miles for the year as of today, so baring any disasters this should be the year that I finally beat it, and by a decent margin!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

urrutiap

my current gaming goals/resolutions for 2021

concentrate on getting back into and playing through some of my Playstation 3 games mostly of Assassins Creed Brotherhood/Revelations, Killzone Trilogy along with with Persona 4, Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4

urrutiap

Ralizah

Ralizah wrote:

My new resolutions.
1) Review at least 30 games this year.

I'm on track with this goal so far, with 8/30 reviews for 2021.

Ralizah wrote:

2) Complete at least three PS4 exclusives.

1/3 so far, as I completed and platinumed Concrete Genie. Persona 5 Royal is well on its way, as we're more than 100 hours in, which'll make 2/3. Unsure of what the third one will be, but this goal obviously won't be hard to reach.

Ralizah wrote:

3) 50% of games purchased this year must be new (i.e. published in 2021). I'll make an exception for humble bundles and/or games costing $3 or less, because... c'mon.

Putting aside exception purchases, I'm counting six older game purchases versus four new game purchases. There are four or five other new games I'd like to pick up this year as well, so I'd really have to go nuts on the sale buys to not meet this goal.

Ralizah wrote:

4) Complete the following Falcom games: Trails in the Sky SC; Trails in the Sky the 3rd; Ys Origin; Ys: The Oath in Felghana; Ys: Memories of Celceta; Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

Ain't played any of these games yet, so I need to get crackin'.

Ralizah wrote:

5) Reduce my Nintendo Switch backlog to five games or less.

HAHAHAHA
This was a little unrealistic, considering how many little indie games I've bought digitally for relative pennies, and how I'll be buying Switch games almost every month of the year. With that said, if I play all of my boxed backlog games and the major outstanding digital ones, I'll consider this goal cleared.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Lookin' pretty good, folks!

Will probably provide an update somewhere around the middle of the year, as I think frequently keeping track of my goals (especially my backlog) won't do me any favours!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

crimsontadpoles

Here's how I'm getting along, doing fairly well actually.

1) Reduce the size of my backlog by at least 5 games. It's currently 2 games smaller than the start of the year, so I'm doing alright here. It was even better than this, but the recent free PS4 games promotion did skew this number somewhat.
2) Play 3 games on Wii U (including Wii and virtual console games). Nearly there already. I completed Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water and Rayman Legends, plus I'm in the middle of Super Mario Galaxy 2.
3) Play 3 PS Vita games. Making great progress with this. I beat Ratchet and Clank 1 at the start of the year, and I'm currently playing IA/VT Colorful and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

colonelkilgore

Halfway through 2021 and real happy with how it’s gone in regards to my aims at the start of the year. My big target was to have gotten my 50th Platinum by the end of 2021. I just popped #49, so well ahead of schedule on that front.

I’ve knocked five games off the PS3 backlog (MGS, MGS3, MGS:PW, God of War: Ghost of Sparta & God of War 2)… though, even though I promised myself I would no longer add anything to the PS3 backlog, I did… and it has been more than five games, so now it’s bigger than it was in January 😖.

Also, I’ve played quite a few older PS4 games that required online trophies (Dying Light, AC: Black Flag, AC: Unity & Watch Dogs 2). Although they were all games I really wanted to play, they were kinda shoved to the back of my list as I assumed the Platinum’s were now unachievable as the online would surely be dead. I saw a friend had recently Platinum’d AC: Black Flag in February though and it made me think it’s now or never. It’s been surprising to see how many people are still playing these games.

I also got the online stuff done on The Last of Us which was an incredibly intense three week period 😅.

Played a couple of what I’d consider great games so far this year (MGS, MGS3 & Remnant from the Ashes) and all the others were at the least very good (Ashen, Subnautica & Tomb Raider). I got what I hope to be some great games to come in the second half of 2021 too… including Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us part 2, MGS2, MGS4 and Demons Souls (PS5). I’m also looking forward to playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which I bought off of the back of an @Arugula (or @Rubber_Duck) suggestion back late last year… bought it at the time and have been chomping at the bit to play it ever since but as it’s such a long game I’ve been keeping it back until I have the time. Gonna try and start that in August.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Thrillho

Complete the original Yakuza story

Y5 done, Y6 to go (with Like a Dragon in the backlog but doesn't count!)

Buy one game at launch

Getting a PS5 has helped with this; I picked up Returnal almost at launch, picked up Disco Elysium day one, and have also got Ratchet and Clank but not played it.

Play at least four PS+ games

Concrete Genie, Titanfall 2, and Maneater all played.

Platinum Kentucky Route Zero

Tick!

Keep up with the review thread

This has not happened. Sorry folks.

Non-gaming resolution: Running, hit 500km for the year and get up to half marathon distance

460km already done for the year Feb, March, April all being over 100km months. Up to 18km for best distance and do 16.1km (10 miles) relatively regularly so should be able to do the little bit extra to hit half marathon at some point.

Thrillho

Starkei

My gaming resolution was to finally finish Dark Souls 1 some seven years after my first attempt.

Did that in January and decided to go through the rest of Fromsoft games. Major diversion into Bloodborne obsession meant two playthroughs (and a third planned for the platinum) for that one because its just so damn good. Finished Sekiro a few weeks back.

Starkei

colonelkilgore

@Starkei nice, I still have to finish off the Sekiro plat but have all the others. Agreed about Bloodborne, best game ever (c)!

**** DLC!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.