Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year of 2021

Posts 61 to 80 of 103

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho did you play all of the Yakuza games (bar 6) this year? If so, that’s impressive!

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore Good lord no! It’s over 500 hours I’ve spent with the series so far (according to my PS5)

I got my first trophies for Zero in Sept 2018 so I’ve been plodding through the series and the remastered 3-5 game out not long after I’d finished Kiwami 2.

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho yeah I’ve heard they’re long, I’m gonna start them in 2022 and I’ll probably just go for the one a year.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

Ah yes, the halfway point reckoning!

1. Replay at least 3 of my favorite games:
Still only 1/3 — Uncharted Drake’s Fortune
2. Revisit at least 3 games that I abandoned and finally complete them:
Still 1/3 — Persona 5 being the one. But oh what a big one it is!
3. Play at least 1 FromSoftware game:
Still not done yet. Demon’s Souls was on sale though and very tempting.
4. Play 6 games from PS Plus:
Made some progress here… 4/6 — Hitman Season 1, Bound, Control Ultimate Edition, Subnautica
5. Get a PS5:
Still accomplished. And lovin’ it!

————

Still a lot of work, er… uh, I mean play to do.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

Man, I’ve done alright to be honest. Better than expected.

1. At least try to play my Switch more
Really got back into playing it recently. Played 55 hours of Xenoblade which I still need to finish but I’ve almost beaten Mario & Rabbids so I’ll do that first. Finally beat A Link to the Past on it which is 100% a win for me.

2. Finish off the Assassin’s Creed, Tekken and Trails series
Assassin’s Creed I just have the Atlantis stuff for Odyssey and then Valhalla. Tekken I just have 7 but the lack of proper arcade mode endings turned me right off. Trails… I just need to play Ao then I can get on Cold Steel. I have the translation ready to go, I’m not waiting until 2023.

3. Attempt to play more games from my backlog
This is a hard one because I got my PS5 so have been playing a lot more new games than backlog. Although I’m starting to work my way through some retro games in my collection I’ve been meaning to play!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

johncalmc

johncalmc wrote:

My gaming resolution for this year is that I'm going to make a spreadsheet and keep a record of every game I play this year, give it an out of ten score off the top of my head, and that's about as far as I've got with this.

I have forgotten to do this for every single game I've played this year.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

I don't know if I ever posted them here, but here goes:

1) Continue my one-platinum-a-month-average. I started this a while ago and the challenge has really helped to motivate me to finish games more often over the last few years. I don't start games with the intention to platinum them, so it's not like I'm buying My Name is Mayo. I think I'm at 7 already.

2) Keep up with 2021 games.I still need to play Ratchet & Clank, but due to financial reasons I had to miss out on that one for a minute, but I'm still planning on playing that. I'm still not sure about whether It Takes Two is something for me, so that's kind of up in the air. I still need to play Overboard on Switch too. Basically: yes, I'm behind, but not that much has released so far, so I can easily catch up.
From August on things will become more problematic, with too much releasing that has my interest: WarioWare, Deathloop, Kena, Life is Strange 3, SMTV, among others, and more possibly to be announced. This will be a really hard on to do.

3) Finish Persona 5 Royal. Let's see! Haven't made that much progress these past few months.

4) Buy games that I'm looking forward to play the most rather than the ones being the most cheap. Yea, I'm not doing super great on this one, if I'm honest, but I did better than last year. I bought Spider-Man Remastered and Returnal even though they cost me quite the penny, because I really wanted to play them then. And I played them a lot, so that's a good thing.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

Lots of progress being made, I see! Well done to all thusfar, and best of luck going forward!

1) Get a PlayStation 5
Yep, and smashed my personal target of getting one by... well, last week, funnily enough. Been playing on it since the beginning of April, and fully appreciate how lucky I am.

2) Play the Rest of the inFAMOUS Series
Am getting there. I played and really enjoyed inFAMOUS 2 a couple months back, and have the standalone expansion Festival of Blood queued up for my next backlog gap... and, since it's only small, I can see myself carrying on to the PS4 games pretty quickly.

3) Clear 50% of My Backlog
Well, I've made a dent, but I'm nowhere near my target. Thanks to a steady influx of additions (both new to me and replays triggered by certain moods) I'm only managing to break even. Back in January, I needed to beat 42 games; since then, I've actually beaten 31, but a lot of those weren't on the list, so I still have five pages of colour-coded, console-segregated titles to tick off. I seem to be going through short phases of crushing three or four smaller games, then playing a huge "event" game for a solid month and losing all momentum. Now that we're the other side of E3, I feel safer knowing what's to come before Christmas, and can be stricter towards my random impulses (he says, naïvely).

4) Get Back to Writing Fiction
Shh. Although hey, at least I finished reading that novel.

5) Get Back in Shape
I'm still the same shape, and there's still nothing wrong with it, but I'm claiming a partial win because of my lifestyle over the past six months. By all accounts, somebody who sits on his butt all day should be twice my size by now, so I guess I've balanced the intake part of the equation. Once temperatures are back in the teens, I can do something about honing what's left.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Half-year update:

1. Write reviews for at least a third of the games I complete - I've actually done pretty well with this. I've completed 10 games, and posted 4 reviews, with two currently pending. This was the resolution I was most eager to stick to, so am pretty pleased.

2. Don't allow a backlog to develop on the PS5 - So far I've bought one PS5 game, which was Hitman 3, so I'd say I'm doing fine with this.

3. Complete 30 games in 2021 - 10 games completed so far, which means I'm actually a little behind schedule. Persona 5 Royal is the culprit, I tells yer!

4. Broaden my gaming horizons a little - Not really played anything all-new thus far, but do have Fire Emblem Awakening lined up. I'm a bit of a novice with Tactical RPGs, so reckon it counts.

5. Finish Red Dead Redemption II - Hahaha. No.

6. Play a higher proportion of PS3 and Vita games - I've not played any PS3 games this year, but almost all of my handheld gaming has been on the Vita, with 2 completions so far. Cold Steel was a bit of a slog towards the end because of appalling performance issues, and the game took longer than I was expecting.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

Here we are, at the end of the year. With very little time left to make any meaningful headway, I think I’m at the point of accounting. Although not totally set in stone, with 3 days remaining in the year, at this point it is was it is for me…

1. Replay at least 3 of my favorite games:

Looks like I’ll only go 1/3 — Uncharted Drake’s Fortune being my only success here. I still plan to play through the whole Uncharted series again. Others I’d considered replaying were the Mass Effect Trilogy and the BioShocks. Also deliberated over a replay of TLoU in prep for TLoU2. Alas, I only got one replay done this year (Unless one counts FF7R as a “replay” of FF7. It’s not really the same game, so I can’t really give myself credit there)

2. Revisit at least 3 games that I abandoned and finally complete them.

Looks like another 1/3 — Persona 5 still being the only game I salvaged from the partially completed pile. Games like Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 will still be in the “incomplete” stack.

3. Play at least 1 FromSoftware game.

Well, at least I purchased and downloaded Demon’s Souls a few weeks ago when it was on sale. A playthrough is imminent, but won’t happen before years end. 0/1

4. Play 6 games from PS Plus.

A respectable 5/6 — Hitman Season 1, Bound, Control Ultimate Edition, Subnautica, half credit for Rime which is close to being finished, and half credit for A Plague Tale which was in my library before PS Plus gave it away yet I played it with everyone else after it came out on Plus.

5. Get a PS5.

1/1 and my only true accomplishment this year!

——————

Something of a down year for me, goal-wise. 2021 has been weird. I still had a great time with the games I played though. Here’s hoping for a better year all around in 2022.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

I guess I could say I completed as many resolution as I made a year ago*

* that's 0

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

elvisfan1

Reduce my overall backlog to under 200 games.

Reduce Vita backlog to 0.

elvisfan1

kyleforrester87

My (none gaming) resolution was to cycle 3000 miles this year, it was the same resolution I made the previous 2 years and I didn’t hit it but I am glad to say I smashed it this year with 6142 miles which is roughly 10,000km which took 420 hours.

It’s been another difficult year for everyone with the pandemic. Also, my girlfriend and I split up after 12 years in the summer which has been hard to work through, we lived together and all the rest. Plus my cat died, which sucks. But overall I am happy with how the year has gone.

I’m not sure what resolutions I need to make for next year yet, I’m going to have a think over the next few days.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Thrillho

@Th3solution I think your completed resolution means the others were always less likely to happen!

@kyleforrester87 I guess the big ride this year helped you towards that tally nicely but that is a monster total mileage. The other things are rubbish resolutions so here's to a better 2022 for you!

Thrillho

Thrillho

Complete the original Yakuza story

Done and dusted, having finished Y5 as my first game of the year and Y6 mid-year, the latter bringing my only platinum for the series (thanks to being able to "cheat" and reload a save to do the final boss on the hardest difficulty to get the top difficulty trophy)

Buy one game at launch

This one was strongly helped by my acquisition of a PS5. Returnal was near enough a launch purchase for me (and coerced me into getting the Pulse headset too) and I got R&C: Rift Apart pretty much day one thanks to a money off code for it which nudged me into getting it straight away rather than waiting a bit.

Play at least four PS+ games

Concrete Genie, Titanfall 2, Maneater, A Plague Tale: Innocence were all freebies.

There was also Control: Ultimate Edition but due to how it stupidly worked on PS+ I had the PS4 version and decided to spend next to nothing to get the PS5 version. The Ratchet and Clank reboot was a freebie (but not PS+) and I completed that too but still don't need to count either of those game to class that as another resolution completed.

Platinum Kentucky Route Zero

Another tick but only thanks to my PS5 dying within days of getting it. This gave me a nice window to go back and replay the game and get the shiny shiny for it.

Keep up with the review thread

Erm... this one's probably a fail. I mostly browse the forum on my phone and don't really have the time to read the wonderful prose people have posted. When I do finally read it properly, I'm normally a few pages behind so apologies to those whose masterpiece I've missed out on.

Non-gaming resolution: With my running, hit 500km for the year and get up to half marathon distance ✅ ✅

SMASHED IT. I'm on over 1,000km for the year and have run four half marathons, my latest in 1hr 44min 26.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Ralizah

Ralizah wrote:

1) Review at least 30 games this year.

Nope. I've been slacking a bit in this department.

Ralizah wrote:

Complete at least three PS4 exclusives.

Mission complete. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Persona 5 Royal, and Concrete Genie were all played this year, I believe.

Ralizah wrote:

50% of games purchased this year must be new (i.e. published in 2021).

My purchases this year mostly skewed brand new, so yes.

Ralizah wrote:

Complete the following Falcom games: Trails in the Sky SC; Trails in the Sky the 3rd; Ys Origin; Ys: The Oath in Felghana; Ys: Memories of Celceta; Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

...nope. I beat Oath in Felghana, and am pretty deep into Trails in the Sky SC now, but the others are no-gos.

Ralizah wrote:

Reduce my Nintendo Switch backlog to five games or less.

sighs heavily

If anything ,the backlog is now worse than it was before.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

Did ok this year I think tbh.

1. At least try to play my Switch more
I fell off Xenoblade unfortunately and haven’t really played all that much of the Switch since the summer. But Metroid Dread was fantastic and the first game I really binged on the Switch since I got mine about 3 years ago!

2. Finish off the Assassin’s Creed, Tekken and Trails series
I’ve played all of Tekken that I really can. 7 not having arcade mode endings soured my experience of the game and I can’t be bothered playing the story. Annoyed. Assassin’s Creed wise, I’m several toes deep in Valhalla which I’m relatively enjoying. I’ll be ploughing through that for the foreseeable future. Trails wise, I’m a couple chapters into Ao (or Azure I guess now it’s been translated) and then I have Cold Steel 1 and 2 ready to go on PS5 afterwards. Wish the Vita versions of those had turbo modes but nope so I’ll play those on the TV.

3. Attempt to play more games from my backlog
Genuinely done well in the last few months. Playing Deathloop and Resi Village straight after buying them definitely helped. I went back and played games like Mafia and Mafia 2, Max Payne, Arkham City, Resi 3, Dishonored, Obra Dinn etc.

Retro-wise, RetroArch on Vita has been a godsend. I’ve sat in bed and played Gameboy games like Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, Pokemon Yellow and Crystal and the Wario Land games with achievements to keep me invested. And then Tomb Raider 1 for the first time which I did enjoy. Vita has also helped me play games like Persona 1 and Innocent Sin for the second time (love them both) and play the Ys and Trails games. Next up on the Vita will either be Tomb Raider 2 or Ys VIII.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Eight out of fourteen ain't too shabby. You've achieved over 50% of your objectives; many people would likely call that a victory, myself included! And if you had a little more free time, I reckon you'd have already made a start on Demon's Souls by now, so that's an understandable loss, too.

@kyleforrester87 Your cycling achievement from earlier this year is one for the history books, to the point where you've more than earned a break from cycling-related resolutions in 2022, I'd say! I expect to see stuff like "put feet up more" and "sleep in at weekends" when you make your new list!

@Thrillho Darn, so close! Excellent work all the same. A year to be proud of, for sure!

@Ralizah I find your reaction to that last resolution eerily familiar. I haven't even done the math on my backlog lists from the past twelve months yet, but I have a sinking feeling I'm gonna end up in the same boat as you, desperately throwing games overboard one by one as entire shipping crates of interesting diversions are piled aboard by the dozen. At least you scored some victories! Nicely done!

@nessisonett Completing a whole Switch game totally counts as a win for that first one. Steady progress on the others there, as well. I'd call that more than okay!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Hoping to shave off that number heavily next year. Even though a lot of big stuff releases next year, I'm... a little exhausted by staying on the new release treadmill. There are definitely some games I'm still getting ASAP, but most of them won't be on release, which should help me focus on my backlog. Gonna try to avoid sale purchases as much as possible as well.

@Ryoku omg I haven't even gotten to Tokyo Xanadu either. I feel like I have six years worth of Falcom games to catch up on as is.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KilloWertz

My gaming resolution will be to stop buying games on both PlayStation and Xbox. At times late last gen I'd be flip flopping between playing my PS4 and my Xbox One X, and I stupidly decide to buy a game on that one even though I already had it on the other because that was the console I was playing on at the time.

I was hoping to be able to make it through most of the gen with one console so that one would just be my primary console, but that didn't work out at all already. Both the PS5 and the Series X are very good consoles with very bright futures, which made me fall back into my last gen ways a bit in the first year. I do own several games over the first year on both already, but that has to end going into next year. I realize it's my own stupidity, but as of right now I have finally managed to put the PS5 first and will just use the Series X sparingly. Doesn't hurt that the PS5's release schedule for next year is fantastic.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.