Forums

Topic: Favorite Video Game Music

Posts 241 to 260 of 275

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Yeah, absolutely do steer clear of playing 007 Legends, whatever you do!

That clip made me laugh; it's funny how, when playing a Metal Gear game for the first time, you get totally absorbed and take it all seriously, but then afterwards you stop and think about the dialogue and how hilarious it is when taken out of context, or seen through somebody else's eyes! Metal Gear Rising was something particularly special, given how different and yet how familiar it all felt. That, plus Raiden is my favourite character from the entire series, so having him in a starring role again was a treat for me!

Part of the reason I'm desperate to clear a lot of my backlog is because I wanna revisit the entire Metal Gear saga from beginning to end, and know that I'll have to basically pause all other distractions for a couple of months in order to do so. I can't just "dip in and out" of something so important.

Do you watch streamers a lot, then? I used to be dead against 'em, but I've come to appreciate one or two specific individuals in recent years, and have used 'em to watch games I'd never normally play, as well as a few old favourites I haven't got the time to revisit. They've become such a huge part of the modern gaming landscape, and it's great to find one you can actually endure, because (no offence to any specific creators or their fans) some of the most famous examples are intolerable, and perhaps give the wider public an unfair, slightly distorted view of what streaming is (or can be) all about.

Anyway, always worth posting my favourite bit of Metal Gear music again!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger You know, I also want to revisit the entire Metal Gear saga as well because of the reason you pointed out, i.e. you don't really reflect about what's being said in the moment. But when you go back, you notice the meaning behind it a lot more clearly, as well as other details. Hopefully the streamer from that clip will go through the rest of the MGS series so I don't have to do it myself because I'd rather be going through my backlog just like you. This way I get some entertainment and can revisit this series all over again. Besides, I still have MGS5 left to play through. One of these days I'll get to it!

I don't watch a lot of streamers in the traditional sense, i.e. people who film themselves on platforms like Twitch. I genuinely think people like those are so obnoxious and they irritate me to no end. But still, I do follow a few who stream on Twitch, one who used to work at the company Rooster Teeth and a couple from Dechart Games (who starred in Detroit: Become Human, for example the actor who played Connor) and they're very entertaining to watch. In fact, Dechart Games are playing through the Mass Effect series now so it's been nice revisiting those games as well.

I've been watching a lot of Vtubers in recent years and the primary reason for that is because this concept originated in Japan and Japanese people are so polite and likeable that I prefer watching them over the typical Western streamers. Not to mention that I have an interest in Japan, its culture, language and so on, so that helps as well. There are English Vtubers as well but I tend to only watch those from the same company as the Vtuber from the aforementioned clip since they're absolutely hilarious. There's another huge company that is more popular but their English Vtubers are literally the most annoying and unfunny people I've ever seen. Basically like Twitch streamers, lol.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge That might make for a good lead-up to MGSV for you, watching somebody else play through the previous games in the saga and then stopping short to play the last one for yourself. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it. It's a game that demands discussion, for sure!

Yeah, that's what I was diplomatically driving at, those obnoxious screaming streamers were a real turn-off, and kept me away from the whole concept for so long. It's nice to find the few who prove that stereotype wrong, and it sounds like you have for you, which is awesome.

Seeing as you mentioned both Detroit: Become Human and Mass Effect...

That's an interesting approach, seeking out streamers from a different culture! Hadn't really considered that before, but it sounds pretty smart, and definitely cool if you've already got a pre-existing interest in a specific culture. I do love the positive side of the internet, how it can provide a window on the other side of the world and find common ground between strangers like that. The next time I fancy watching a Japanese game, I might look and see if I can find any Japanese streamers, to offer a different perspective!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Found this quite interesting and a good insight to how a video game soundtrack is made. From Auston Wintory who also did the score for games like Journey and The Pathless.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Great video, thanks for sharing! Austin Wintory is a superb composer, so this was a really neat insight into how he works. Didn't realise he'd done Aliens music, either!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No worries, and glad you enjoyed it! I tempted to pick it up, but not sure if is my thing, and I don't really wanna my love for the franchise to be tarnished even further. The recent films have done that enough.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I've seen a lot of people wanting to like Fireteam Elite, and it can apparently be pretty great if you get the right squad together. Suppose it ultimately depends on how much of an online gamer you are. Forgive me if I know this already, but have you played Alien Isolation before?

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger And there lies one of the problems, I'm not much an online gamer.

Yeah I've played Alien Isolation. Loved it. Kinda didn't know when to end, but yeah it was great.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, me neither. It's why I asked about Isolation (which I've watched, and thought was excellent). It's a shame, but here's hoping that the current holder of the Alien rights doesn't forget about single players going forward. Hey, at least we can enjoy the soundtrack!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Just thought I'd stop by and post some Triangle Strategy music to this thread. It has a great soundtrack, and considering the other two games I've been playing recently (TWEWY and Banjo-Kazooie) have been trying their damndest to make me hate that I'm able to hear sound, I appreciate being able to retreat to something that's actually aurally pleasing.

My favorite battle theme in the game overall. Very anime, but used sparingly enough that it's effective.

My favorite of the normal battle themes.

My favorite of the character-specific battle themes.

Literally the music that plays when you're setting up your team formation before a battle. I won't lie: sometimes I linger in the pre-battle menus longer than is strictly necessary.

A powerful track that certainly adds that extra little touch to certain story sequences.

Even the concentration camps in this world are able to enjoy good music!

Scary music for an even scarier dude.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah That is some genuinely lovely stuff, and definitely the perfect antidote to that mu... m... nope, still can't call it "music", let's say that noise you embedded in your recent review!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I've been listening to Deltarune's soundtrack for Chapter 2 the past few days & I think regardless of your like or dislike of it (& by extension Undertale and the can of worms that is it's fandom)... I think it's hard to disagree about the music being well composed at the very least.

I can't quite describe what exactly it is about Noelle's theme that draws me to it so much... but I love it.

The first overworld song in the new dark world is such a jam. Not much else to say about it really.

and the boss theme against Berdly is probably my favourite song of chapter 2. I also love their slower paced main theme (But it has their name in the title so I haven't linked it (The sadder main version is pretty good too)).

Honestly very few songs I dislike at all in the soundtrack that are actual tracks.

The bonus boss' themes are great Though everything regarding Spamton was ran into the ground within a few hours of ch. 2's release (The "fandom" around this series is obnoxious to say the least 😝), I love the chapter 2 opening/title music of "Faint Glow" [spoiler]any of the tracks involving Queen are a delight and really suit her whimsy [spoiler], Ferris wheel has an incredibly simple melody (at least to start) but it's another one that I just find enjoyable.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic