Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 281 to 300 of 810

LN78

@BearsEatBeets There were fleshed out characters in that film? I must've missed all of that character development when I went to buy popcorn. Damn it. And the Dearh Star weakness being an act of purposeful sabotage? You liked that angle? Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me the Disney produced films are all just various shades of godawful.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Obi-Wan and I'm with it so far. I've been nervous about the series because it can be a very fine line to tread when dealing with established characters and events and not doing things that can mess with what comes later.

I'm totally with you in regard to not expecting Leia to play such a prominent role and that Vivian Lyra Blair is excellent in her portrayal of her. Like you say when did child actors get this good. I'm glad about Obi-Wan's sly comment in the second episode about how old she is though, as she is clearly extremely advanced for her age. The weakest part of both episodes involves her but is in no way her fault. In the first episode I was almost laughing out loud at the kidnappers attempt to capture this small child that runs at 2 miles an hour. They should have just had them grab her when they had her surrounded rather than it seem like she was expertly alluding them for a couple of minutes. It just looked comical (in my humble opinion). And then they went and did it again in the second episode. In one shot she is inches from arms reach and then suddenly running down an alley and up a ladder before Ben is even in eyesight. Anyway I let it slid because overall I also think they are otherwise doing a great job so far.
It's greatest strength for me so far has been the slow pace and emphasis on the dilemma of having to lay low and not intervene when they want to. Whilst having yet another Jedi on Tantooine (the planet so far out nothing ever happens!) is convenient I get why it helped relay this point and liked his interaction with Obi-Wan where he denies who he is and won't help. I also liked Ben mentioning Leia reminded him of Padme(without saying her name), as being a bit of 'Original Trilogy' puritan it's easy to forget about Leia and Luke's mum.
I noticed C3-PO, Temuera and of course Jimmy Smit's (who is always good). I'm not familiar the Grand Inquisitor but liked them all the same. I reckon Liam will appear at some point, even if it's just a voice. I think right at the end of the series to get everyone eager for series 2. I thought the revelation of Anakin being alive was dramatic too as I had never really thought about the fact he could have gone a long time not knowing he's still alive.

Curious to know what you think of the theme? Unless my ignorance is showing the main theme by John Williams is new and I love it.

So yes, I still think it has to be very careful with the story it tells but I'm impressed so far. Roll on next week (assuming it's one a week now)

Edited on by BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 You prefer a hole that leads to it's core and obliterates everything if shot down be a design oversight? 😄 Hey, like you say we all enjoy different stuff. I sometimes wonder if I would hold the original Trilogy in such high regard if I had experienced them first as an adult rather a child. For me the Disney era has been a mixed bag. When it's not good it's felt bad as it can feel it weakens the whole saga or be a missed opportunity but for me Rogue One and The Mandalorian(so far) have been positive additions.

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets It worked absolutely perfectly the way it was - it didn't need any additional augmentation - sort of like the OT films themselves and their "special" editions in that regard. It'a art imitating life imitating art.
PS Forgot to mention the second most talked about aspect of "Rogue One" - the ghoulish CGI recreations of Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher. Didn't you find them disturbing?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Sure it worked perfectly fine, I just feel it being a deliberate weakness works better. I think the 'special editions' (now default) are similarly mixed. A lot of the changes (Death Star assault/Cloud City) do improve the films but some are of course bad. The Han and Jabba chat is unnecessary, the Greedo shooting first criminal and the RotJ musical number is a sin punishable by death. I think it's a shame they don't allow the OT films to be released in some form though.

As for Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher, I think they are passable enough not to detract attention without being great.

Regarding Star Wars films getting played around with, have you seen about this with regard to the original?

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets J.W Rinzler's trio of "Making Of" coffee table books about the production of the OT are pretty exhaustive and highly recommended if you're interested in all the behind the scenes shenanigans. The problem with the Cushing digital double in particular is that it was so almost perfect that the "uncanny valley" effect was exacerbated many times over - I was staring at it the entire time thinking "in 20 years they won't even need actors at all".

Edited on by LN78

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 I can't deny you're always aware your watching something 'synthetic' but thankfully it's only a few scenes.
It's an area that's fascinating and also concerning. I have an uneasy feeling when you see stuff like Albert Einstein doing TV ads. Sure they must have got permission from his heirs but can they truly say whether it's something he would be okay with. It's curious how stuff like this works with fake Leia and young Luke. In years from now what if Disney decided to make more stories with these characters using digital versions, will they need permission from someone or do they 'own' the face of the character.

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I think modern contracts probably stipulate that the studio owns the rights to the digital likenesses of the characters - it's only a matter of time before we see something like an adaptation of the Zahn "Thrawn" trilogy with CGI recreations of the OT cast as they appeared in the mid to late 1980's. Yuck.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Thank you for your reply at the top of this page. I continue to be sorry that modern Star Wars isn't catching your attention, and that you feel like you've missed the boat on content designed to expand and enhance something that clearly means a heck of a lot to you. I suppose it's a small comfort that Star Wars will continue to endure, way beyond our lifetimes, and that there's always a chance that one of its many projects will hold some appeal for you, somewhere down the line. In the meantime... well, at least you've got your framed posters, your Hot Toys figure and your fond memories!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Glad you enjoyed Obi-Wan so much, especially since I shared your nerves with regards the series' place in established canon, and did worry about it possibly breaking everything!

I retroactively noticed those two chase moments you mentioned in hindsight, when thinking back over the episodes afterwards. I was clearly invested enough during the viewing to let 'em slide. Filming action sequences with children is always a challenge, so I'll always forgive a few missing shots or choppy edits wherever they're involved. I think it's even more noticeable in a broader sense when you consider that The Bad Batch stars a little girl of the same age but that, because it's animation, she can get involved in shootouts, get herself grabbed and jostled around by enemies, even get blasted (on stun, but still) and it's all possible because it's digital cartoon characters doing digital things.

Using that other random Jedi to underscore Obi-Wan's current state of mind was an effective necessity, I felt, even though you're right, it's a tad convenient. Given his age, I figured he must've been a youngling during Order 66, which meant he wouldn't have been jaded by the Clone Wars, and I loved that generational insight into the situation he therefore provided. And yes, the mention of Padmé was beautiful!

Ah, yes. The theme. It is new, and it is by John Williams, and it's lovely.

The problem is, its first five notes are the exact same first five notes from another, slightly-less-famous theme composed in recent years. Because it's John Williams, you know it's happened entirely by accident, but every single time it started to play, even after I'd noticed the innocent similarity, I got ripped out of the moment by my brain asking me, "Wait, why are they playing that theme?!"

I won't tell you which theme it resembles, just in case it ruins the experience for you, too. Let me know if you wanna know, however, because it's really quite an eerie coincidence.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Oh I don't really feel like I missed the boat. More like I got unceremoniously thrown off the boat that I'd been on, helped maintain and loved for nearly 40 years. Trying to get into the stuff meant to "expand and enhance" the franchise is (I've realised) a complete waste of my time - a bit like (to extend the nautical metaphor) putting a spare wheel on a submarine. Oh well - as you say at least I've got my room full of 'Star Wars' related posters, books, comics, toys, VHS tapes, laser discs, DVDs, blu-rays, videogames, soundtrack albums, bedsheets and pajamas (OK, not those last two!) for the time being.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah - I saw that. Then I remembered how excited I was when I heard that Lord and Miller were making "Solo".

LN78

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder @LN78 God, once you get in with Disney then they really will just give you a movie won’t they? Part of me’s torn because while I do like a director having a particular style that’s applied to genre movies, it does feel an awful lot like selling out. I worry that Taika Waititi’s going to suffer from overexposure and that his ‘wacky’ brand of humour will grate. The genre movie dilution happens to other directors too. Chloe Zhao’s clearly talented but Eternals was a dreadful mess which felt focus-grouped rather than having any creative freedom at all.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KidRyan

@RogerRoger Thanks for the reminder! I'm hopeful they announced some new SW books I might be interested in.

Thankfully we did end up getting a Jedi Survivor teaser! It's coming in 2023 and next-gen exclusive (PS5, XBSX/XBSS, and PC). Also will be a direct sequel to Fallen Order with us play as Cal again.

Sadly I have to wait until my mom gets home from visiting my Grandma to watch Obi-Wan, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait

Finally regarding Stranger Things, I won't be watching Season 4 for awhile, plan to re-watch Seasons 1-3 fully and finally read all of the tie-in books I've been collecting.

@BearsEatBeets Ah gotcha, so more similar to Star Trek Prodigy! I haven't watched that yet but plan to eventually ^_^.

@JohnnyShoulder Exciting news, I've loved all of his nerdy films so far.

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@KidBoruto Thanks for the heads-up regarding the Jedi: Survivor teaser! Looks intriguing, and quite a bit darker in tone than its predecessor (which is quite the feat, considering how heavy it got in places). I'm really happy that Cal and Beedee are the protagonists again. I'm nervous about where they might take Cal's character, but I'm gonna try and stay optimistic!

Hope you enjoy (or have enjoyed already) Obi-Wan, as well as that Stranger Things marathon!

As for Celebration, they really did save the best 'til last.

Palpatine! Cody! What may or may not be a glimpse of cloned Zillo Beasts!

And wait, is that... it is, isn't it...?!

Untitled

GUNGI'S BACK!!

Making It So Since 1987

KidRyan

@RogerRoger Glad you enjoyed the Jedi Survivor teaser! I'm also hyped for the game, and plan to replay Fallen Order via PS5 version before I tackle Survivor.

I enjoyed the Obi-Wan series for what it was, but hoping we get some epic lightsaber/force battles soon...especially with Anakin/Vader set to return.

I highly recommend checking out both Skeleton Crew and Young Jedi Adventures when they premiere in 2023 on Disney+.

There's also going to be a Tales of the Jedi anthology animated series premiering Fall 2022, with at least one of the episodes focusing on Ashoka's backstory/early childhood.

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@KidBoruto Good plan, although be warned that the PS5 upgrade for Jedi: Fallen Order isn't as impressive as I'd hoped. Having played and platinumed both versions, I think I'd opt to play the PS4 version on my PS5 again, if I was just going through for fun and screencaps. See what you think, though!

I'm sure they wouldn't have put Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen and Moses Ingram through so much intense physical training if there wasn't a big duel coming!

Thanks, I definitely will watch anything and everything Star Wars on Disney+ as a priority. I've tried to keep balanced before, but I'm just such a hopeless fanboy, it's better if I just surrender to my fate. I was slow on the uptake for Star Wars: Visions (which is getting a second season!) but that was a bit of an outlier. Unless I do start to suffer from oversaturation, I'll be there for it all, day one.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention! And another of those Tales of the Jedi stories will be about Dooku training Qui-Gon, with Liam Neeson set to return alongside his son, who'll play the younger Qui-Gon! That was a genuine surprise, but a very welcome one! Looks awesome!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Who is Reva in "Obi-Wan Kenobi" and why is the actress getting bombarded with hate mail by a certain contingent of "fans"? Is it just because she's black?
EDIT - Just looked it up. Of course it is. That's pretty sickening but strangely predictable given the treatment Kelly Marie Tran got a few years back.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, as you say, the most tragic part of this whole mess is that it was entirely predictable. Not even just after the first few episodes, but from way back when the first trailer dropped. As with most things, it's a minority giving the rest of the fandom a bad name, but it shouldn't even be one of us. It's sick, twisted and evil, and hypocritical given that Star Wars has always been a melting pot of species and races.

Reva's character is designed to antagonise and frustrate. She's feared by her enemies, but she's also hated by her allies, and I think Moses Ingram is doing a solid job portraying that kind of universal irritant.

The other factor is that Reva's been placed in an important position in the mythos. She's a new face who's having a dramatic impact on beloved legacy characters, and a lot of people just can't stand that, because their passion unfortunately deludes some of them into a sense of ownership and protectionism. That's leading to general criticism of Reva as written, and as long as that's calm and rational then that's okay, but it's not an excuse for personally attacking the actor, on any level.

It's history repeating itself to a depressing degree. John Boyega received racist comments from the public about being a black Stormtrooper long before Disney's institutional racism wrecked his character. Like you say, Kelly Marie Tran then followed, but it's also reminiscent of the treatment Ahmed Best, Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen received, and that was before social media made the abuse instant.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic