Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 261 to 280 of 810

RogerRoger

@KidBoruto Yeah, copies did seem plentiful, which also helps.

The Bad Batch is my total, wholehearted focus. According to rumour, Season Two has been ready for a while, and was supposed to drop earlier in the year, but it got reshuffled and now, between Kenobi and Andor and Mando, the calendar's looking tight. There's a dedicated panel for the show, though, so I'm hoping for a trailer (extremely likely) and firm release date (fingers crossed).

Beyond that, news about Star Wars Jedi: Survivor would be welcome, although I'm nervous about some of the possible directions for that, so I'm forcing myself to chill. Honestly, I think this year might as well be "The Bad Batch Celebration" as far as I'm concerned; it's my favourite ever Star Wars thing, without exception. I mean, sure, it's a sequel to The Clone Wars, a bridge to Rebels, and it's carrying and concluding the legacy of the prequel trilogy, so it's not like it exists in a vacuum, but still.

Anyway, that's me. What about you?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Sorry to interject, but I was wondering — as far as Rebels and The Bad Batch go, is there an essential list of episodes that you’ve created for those? I saved your list for The Clone Wars, although I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t utilized it yet. (I also notice Disney+ also pared down an “essential episodes” list themselves, although I don’t know how close it is to yours but it looks more restrictive) I have been holding off going back to the show and kept feeling like a Star Wars poser if I watch TCW with an abridged approach, but the more time that passes, the more behind I get in all things entertainment related, and so I think when/if I do go back to TCW that I’ll just use your list to skip through to the highlight episodes. Rebels seems to be about half the number of episodes as TCW and of course TBB is merely one (soon to be two) seasons, but I was just wondering. I’m assuming that given your appreciation of TBB that I’ll want to watch all the episodes.

And also, if I understand, then the watch order should be TCW —> TBB —> Rebels? What about The Resistance? Does that warrant any attention and if so, the same question about whether to just hit some essential highlights and where to place it in the watch order. 😅 Once again, sorry for the complicated questions! I just value your opinion and experience on the subject. 😁 If you don’t have any easily formed opinion on the inquiry then that’s fine too; don’t waste any time producing anything special on my account because honestly I’m not even sure how close I am to getting to any of these with Obi-Wan looming.

Edit: and it occurred to me that you might have said previously some of this info, and I forgot. If I don’t keep notes on things then sometimes they get lost in my cerebral filing system. There’s a vague memory scratching the back of my mind that wants to say that you (or someone) said that The Resistance is a completely separate entity and can be ignored or approached a la carte on its own. Apologies for my poor recollection all the same.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh, don't worry, I can't recall what I've typed and when, either! And I sympathise, what with so much new content on the horizon. I have a horrible feeling we're gonna hit a point where there's gonna be new Star Wars episodes dropping every week for months on end. Sure, it'll make me a happy nerd, but I've seen oversaturation kill way too many things over the years. In other words, if you do end up having to skip through The Clone Wars, I don't think anybody would blame you!

So yeah, whilst the chronological order of the story is...

1) The Clone Wars
2) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
3) The Bad Batch
4) Obi-Wan Kenobi
5) Rebels

...there's some overlap, and a lot of the interconnecting nods and references are inserted for the audience, and carry more weight if you've kept current with everything in release order. Therefore, I'd strongly recommend watching the entire story in release order.

1) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2) The Clone Wars (Seasons 1-6)
3) Rebels
4) The Clone Wars: The Final Season
5) The Bad Batch
6) Obi-Wan Kenobi

It's just safer that way, knowing that you'll "get" all of the references as intended. For example (and to mention something the trailers included, so it's not really a spoiler) Ming-Na Wen's character from The Mandalorian, master assassin Fennec Shand, appears in The Bad Batch and whilst it's entirely unnecessary to know about her live-action future for everything to make sense, her animated involvement carries more weight because you already know who she is, and what she's about.

And I'm including Kenobi as a precaution. Given its placement in the timeline and inclusion of the Inquisitorius, I'd be incredibly surprised if it didn't feature some nods to Rebels, or a follow-up to some of the character's storylines from The Clone Wars. I'm sure it'll work perfectly well as a standalone but, as I say, some of its flavour and depth might come from having wider knowledge.

Rebels is surprisingly serialised, and therefore difficult to skip through. It's a show that loves to make a random callback, and so I'd recommend watching it all, if possible.

Same for The Bad Batch, but not because I'm a huge fan of it. It's just impossible to predict what bits will be important going forward, since it isn't finished yet. I'd hate to say "yeah, you can totally skip this filler episode" and then boom, the Season Two trailer drops and it turns out to be the secret foundation upon which all manner of seismic revelations are built.

If you struggle with anything, however, let me know and I'll try and whittle down a list, no problem.

Can't speak with authority about Resistance yet, I'm afraid, as I still haven't gotten around to it (yes, even I've had to be selective with all this content!) but when I do, I'll confirm. From what I understand, though, it is entirely separate, it being set during the sequels an' all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@BearsEatBeets "This Summer, Lucasfilm is proud to present a spin off that nobody wanted from the movie that nobody can remember featuring the character that nobody cared about". 😉.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 HEY! I love Rogue One. I’m intrigued to see how this one turns out. Admittedly wasn’t crying out for his backstory but it’s certainly got my interest.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Stunning. Absolutely stunning. I'm there.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@LN78 I literally sat and watched Rogue One in the same room as my mum and she absolutely refuses to believe that she’s seen it. Just has no memories of it at all. I didn’t mind it although I too can barely recall most of the plot.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BearsEatBeets

Another Star Wars series coming - Star Wars: Skeleton Crew

''Spider-Man: No Way Home director Jon Watts joined Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni on stage during the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, California to announce Star Wars: Skeleton Crew, a new series set after Return Of The Jedi. The show will not be about the typical Star Wars crew but instead will follow four kids who get lost in the Star Wars universe.''

Bizarre idea, apparently Jude Law is going to be in it.

BearsEatBeets

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Awesome guidance there buddy. Thanks!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KidRyan

LN78 wrote:

@KidBoruto If they announced a beautiful 4K blu-ray release (a little akin to the "Blade Runner" boxset) containing all the incarnations of the OT then I'd be overjoyed. Of course that won't happen. They'll announce 20 new Disney+ series and 10 new videogames that I don't care about at all. Oh well.

I'd certainly be tempted to add that 4K set to my collection, for sure!

RogerRoger wrote:

@KidBoruto Yeah, copies did seem plentiful, which also helps.

The Bad Batch is my total, wholehearted focus. According to rumor, Season Two has been ready for a while, and was supposed to drop earlier in the year, but it got reshuffled and now, between Kenobi and Andor and Mando, the calendar's looking tight. There's a dedicated panel for the show, though, so I'm hoping for a trailer (extremely likely) and firm release date (fingers crossed).

Beyond that, news about Star Wars Jedi: Survivor would be welcome, although I'm nervous about some of the possible directions for that, so I'm forcing myself to chill. Honestly, I think this year might as well be "The Bad Batch Celebration" as far as I'm concerned; it's my favourite ever Star Wars thing, without exception. I mean, sure, it's a sequel to The Clone Wars, a bridge to Rebels, and it's carrying and concluding the legacy of the prequel trilogy, so it's not like it exists in a vacuum, but still.

Anyway, that's me. What about you?

Personally I plan to start collecting the Star Wars manga no later than November, depends on my financial situation.

We got both Mando and Andor news thankfully! As for Bad Batch Season 2, they have a panel for it on Sunday May 29, so that's when we should see a release date trailer.

I honestly didn't even know about the Star Wars Jedi: Survivor rumor, here's hoping it is revealed this weekend! Even though the public schedule doesn't mention a general video game dedicated panel.

As for myself, I'm super excited to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi tomorrow, hoping we get Jedi Survivor news, and wishing we get Bad Batch Season 2 trailer with release date.

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

KidRyan

BearsEatBeets wrote:

Another Star Wars series coming - Star Wars: Skeleton Crew

''Spider-Man: No Way Home director Jon Watts joined Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni on stage during the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, California to announce Star Wars: Skeleton Crew, a new series set after Return Of The Jedi. The show will not be about the typical Star Wars crew but instead will follow four kids who get lost in the Star Wars universe.''

Bizarre idea, apparently Jude Law is going to be in it.

When they say four kids who get lost in the Star Wars universe, do they mean the kids originate from the real world?

Or kids who just live in the Star Wars universe who are lost?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I was being a tad facetious- I've heard people call it the best of the Disney produced movies (not exactly stiff competition) but most (including myself) seem to remember the obviously tacked on Vader rampage at the end and that's about it. From what I've read about it, it was a film (much like "Solo") with a far more interesting original premise that got 'saved' (read 'sabotaged') by corporate mid-way through production. I'd love to see the original footage (from both movies) some day. Another thing on my personal "Star Wars" wishlist that'll never happen.

LN78

LN78

@KidBoruto It'll be "The Goonies" meets "Stranger Things" with a "Star Wars" coat of paint. I don't expect much imagination from the folks at the Lucasfillm content farm these days.

LN78

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets The premise of Skeleton Crew sounds alarmingly similar to Star Trek: Prodigy, the new animated show which is (successfully) walking the same sort of path as The Clone Wars. It's about a bunch of mismatched slave kids who stumble upon an abandoned Federation Starship and use it to go on some semi-serialised adventures. Must be a popular idea!

@Th3solution No worries, happy to help!

@KidBoruto Fingers crossed you're able to start that manga collection! There was a publisher's panel as part of the opening day of Celebration yesterday, I believe. Haven't looked at the details yet, but there might be something of interest in there?

Yeah, I'm definitely excited for Sunday's panel on The Bad Batch. I think there's a panel for Star Wars: Hunters, that new free-to-play multiplayer mobile and Switch game, but I doubt Jedi: Survivor would get mentioned during that. Things are just getting released all over, though. That teaser trailer for Andor came out of nowhere, so perhaps a title or logo reveal could spring up, ahead of a trailer or preview during one of EA's summer streams.

Hope you enjoy Obi-Wan when you watch it later, as well as Stranger Things, too!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Have you already watched "Obi-Wan" this morning? Did it meet your expectations?

LN78

RogerRoger

So, the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi are excellent. For something with only six instalments to its name, it's perhaps a little slower than I was expecting, but it gives the sumptuous presentation and surprisingly nuanced performances room to breathe, which I'm all for. The potential for the whole miniseries to end up being something really, really special is definitely there.

Seriously, don't look at these spoilers if you're planning on watching it for yourself.

It's a tragic testament to the mindset of a dudebro fanbase that nobody (and I mean nobody, myself included) managed to predict that the catalyst for Obi-Wan's adventure would be a threat to Leia, not Luke. It really made me stop and think, after I'd finished grinning like an idiot at Vivian Lyra Blair's brilliantly precocious performance (honestly, when did child actors become so reliable?!) because usually I recoil at heavy-handed attempts to redress the gender balance, but when Bail Organa told Obi-Wan that "she's just as important" as Luke, it was a proper light-switch moment, because of course she is. There's more freedom to play with Leia's backstory, and it's adding so much weight to that pivotal transmission yet to come, when Leia calls Obi-Wan her "only hope" in her most desperate hour. Love it. Absolutely, wholeheartedly love it.

Further fanboy squeals were emitted during all of Jimmy Smits' scenes, when Temuera Morrison cameoed as a homeless veteran, when I caught a glimpse of Threepio on Alderaan, and when Rupert Friend totally nailed the Grand Inquisitor from the get-go. I also appreciated the use of prequel footage in flashbacks and recaps, the Qui-Gon tease (please please PLEASE let Liam Neeson be in this, even if it's just as a disembodied voice) and obviously, that kicker of a cliffhanger scene where Obi-Wan realises that Anakin isn't dead after all, and that the strength of his revelation awakens Vader.

Really, really good start. It's not doing what I'd have done, but that's to its credit.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Ah, I didn't type fast enough!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Super glad you enjoyed it. Super jealous because 'Star Wars' just isn't my bag any more.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 It's all good I saw your wink, my reply probably just came across way too abrupt. Whilst The Vader scene is easily what is most commented on I feel the whole film is strong and stands shoulder to shoulder with the original trilogy. From my (admittedly limited) understanding the premise of the film was unaffected by the reshoots, it was more about fleshing out the individual characters of the group and their role in the final assault. From my prospective whatever they did worked because I love the film on it's own merit and also how it also makes the Death Star weakness more believable in the original film.
Whether the original 'cut' would have been better I couldn't say of course. I'm totally with you on Solo though. I tried another viewing recently and the only redeeming part for me is Glover's Lando.

@KidBoruto @LN78 @RogerRoger I would highly assume it's the later and can't imagine they would introduce characters from Earth into the mix. If one of the kids starts developing force powers I could totally see the Stranger Things angle. I wasn't aware of Star Trek Prodigy, I'm guessing it's a fairly small starship and these are teenage children. Whilst it seems odd from the little we know I try to keep an open mind, there have plenty of occasions where an initial idea has sounded silly to me but ended up good. I'm guessing Jude Law isn't playing one of the four kids so maybe is the main antagonist of the series?

BearsEatBeets

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic