Forums

Topic: Commute Times (UK)

Posts 121 to 140 of 156

NedStarksGhost

@ralphdibny sorry to hear that, I hope it improves. I did but have not heard back. Had a feeling I may not as the stuff they'd need to train me on is probably what they want the experience in. However I do have an interview with a company next week, will be for the same thing I'm doing now but better pay prospects and stuff!

@themcnoisy you sound like a good manager. Everything you've said is everything my company fails to do. We heard too much about financials for starters. I'm far too aware of the goings on. There's a lack of actual management, lack of handover of work, no training.

The fact you give pay rises for time served is great. I'll never, ever understand companies that will refuse to pay existing staff the same as someone of the same skill level for much higher wage.

It's good you don't pressure the good employees due to one person messing up. I hate that. Hey you're good at your job, so takeover your colleagues mistakes, and earn the same as them whilst your at it!

Sounds like you've got a great system. I bet your staff turnover is really low.

Apologies for ranting about my company a bit. It's just crazy how the things you've said are the things that don't happen where I work...

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

@Voltan sounds very good. I've started to find that by the 7th hour my brain is basically done with. The last hour is spent yawning, clock watching and just trying to get something done.

NedStarksGhost

RogerRoger

@NedStarksGhost Fingers crossed for your interview next week! Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

NedStarksGhost

@render thanks! It really is. Much bigger company, better pay prospects, more job security, proper management. Sounds like the dream haha!

NedStarksGhost

JohnnyShoulder

@NedStarksGhost Good luck! I think job interviews are one of my least favourite things to do, so I don't envy you!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

NedStarksGhost

@JohnnyShoulder cheers dude. Yeah I hate them too. Thankfully I know that I interview well as I've never had any bad feedback.

NedStarksGhost

ralphdibny

I just beat Mario Run. Didn't 100% it or anything. I've unlocked star world's so I'll give that a go.

See ya!

NedStarksGhost

Had to cancel the interview today as I had to make a last minute appointment with my GP. Thankfully they've agreed to rearrange it so just waiting for the new date.

NedStarksGhost

render

@NedStarksGhost Ah bad luck but hopefully you will get a date in the not too distant future.

render

RogerRoger

@NedStarksGhost Hope all is well and yeah, very good of them to rearrange the interview instead of letting it slide. Means they're interested in you, which is a good place to be in!

@ralphdibny Did you beat Mario Run whilst at work? They still haven't firmed up your role?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger uhh, I just think my role literally is what I couldn't believe it was, a glorified bellhop.

Which is fine, that's the clearly defined role. Be on call to do stuff throughout the day. What's not fine is the weird passive aggressive comments I get from the person who is supposed to give me stuff to do. Comments that question how busy I am when it's clear that I'm not busy. Comments that would make sense if my role was supposed to be doing something in particular that I'm not doing.

But the guy just comes off as rude and a a bit of a knob when he says stuff like that before giving me something to do, knowing full well that I'm not going to be doing anything until he gives me that thing to do. So yeah, just lame basically. I can't wait to get out of there.

Also not a lot to do so I decided to polish off Mario Run πŸ˜‚.

But yeah, this guy is attempting to punch down and act really important. The truth is that I think he is so insecure about his own delusion of self importance that he sucks up to certain people, acts all buddy buddy with others and punches down on people he thinks have no value to his career because he is scared of other people realising how truly insignificant he actually is.

See ya!

Voltan

@ralphdibny That seems to be a thing in a lot of office spaces. Being (or looking) busy seems to fare better with some managers than actually getting stuff done.
But especially if your job is to wait and be ready - that’s BS.
It might change a little with all the remote work being done now but I’m not holding my breath (also luckily it’s not really a thing at my workplace).

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

ralphdibny

@Voltan it's so weird. When I have something to do, I do it quickly and properly. Unfortunately because of the way my job works, I can't "look busy" by staring at a computer screen, checking emails, looking at random software that's indecipherable to random passers by etc.

I think it's just this one dude though, everyone else seems really nice and knows what the deal is. I've experienced people like that in other jobs but the culture of the company has usually fit that personality type. Here it just seems really out of place in comparison with the rest of the culture I've experienced.

I don't need to feel happy at these sorts of jobs, I just need to not feel unnecessarily unhappy because of the whims of some random nutter. I don't mind being bored or apathetic but these comments take me from a perfectly acceptable neutral state into a negative state which is just something I can't get on board with.

See ya!

NedStarksGhost

@ralphdibny @render @RogerRoger cheers guys. Yeah all is well for the most part. I had a blood test and it transpires I have an under active thyroid! Which explains why I'm so drained all the time no matter what. Been put on medication so hopefully will see improvement soon!

@ralphdibny that sounds really frustrating, sorry to hear all that. He's probably the type who says stuff like "look busy" when there's literally nothing to do as he hates the idea of you earning money for doing nothing at all (despite the fact you're being paid to give up your free time to be there...)

NedStarksGhost

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.