Forums

Topic: Commute Times (UK)

Posts 141 to 156 of 156

RogerRoger

@NedStarksGhost Here's hoping the meds work!

@ralphdibny Sorry to hear that there's a jerk making your job more unpleasant than it should be. I think you're right, though, I think with folks like that, they've got a problem at the very core of their personality and subsequent attitude, and there's no reasoning with that.

Particularly since you're not there to diagnose or fix him, and you're in a temporary role anyway, so it's not like you're trying to build a future with him, either. I'm sure it'll be difficult some days, but try not to take him (or more specifically, the effect he has on you) home with you. Treat him as an unfortunate component of your current job, and nothing more. His behaviour doesn't deserve any consideration beyond that. Bullies do what they do to get a reaction, so don't give 'em one.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@NedStarksGhost oh dear, I hope the meds help!! I just had a quick look on the NHS website about it. Now I'm trying to avoid doing that thing where you read about a condition online and then think that you have it 😂

@RogerRoger cheers man. I'll definitely try to do that going forward. I had an acceptable day today and am looking forward to the weekend once I tick off a few more chores like doing the washing etc. I might moan to my friends over the weekend for a little bit if I can slip it in. Just bit of therapeutic moaning, nothing too heavy 😅

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I very nearly put "...and anyway, it's the weekend, so hurrah and have fun" at the end of my previous reply, but stopped myself because, knowing my luck, you'd have then turned around and said "yeah, I have to work" or something. Definitely do have a good ol' grumble if it helps, and enjoy your downtime!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha it almost happened, I nearly got talked into working. There's a lot of that at this place, people just love racking up the shifts. I just can't, personally it's just not worth losing an extra day or 2 each week. I don't think there's any amount of money that would get me to work 7 days/week on a regular basis!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, nuts to that. Work to live, don't live to work.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@NedStarksGhost heya, thanks for the tag! How are you doing? How's the thyroid? Did you manage to reschedule that interview in the end?? Anything else new with you?

Not bad here to be honest. The role I was placed in has gotten much better since I got moved to a different floor and I've sort of managed to mostly avoid the guy that was (perhaps unintentionally) gaslighting me. Don't get me wrong, there's still not a lot going on but I can sit and have a relaxed chat with other colleagues for most of the day until some tasks come my way.

I've had a couple of interesting and promising interviews since we last spoke. Unfortunately they didn't turn into anything material in terms of a new job. But I feel like I've met a couple really nice people during the process so that's good.

I'm still on the look out for new jobs and I've made a handful of applications. It's slowed right down as I'm moving into a new flat tomorrow so my mind has been focussed on that to be honest!! I've taken a couple days off so hopefully I can get the majority of the move sorted over the weekend

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger wrote:

@ralphdibny Yeah, nuts to that. Work to live, don't live to work.

Only just seen this. Quoted for truth. Amen brother.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Thank you! It's nice to know that, in amongst the hundreds of thousands of words that I dump on this poor, unsuspecting forum, there's a small percentage of good stuff.

@ralphdibny Best of luck with your impending move there, buddy! Hope it all goes smoothly!

Making It So Since 1987

NedStarksGhost

@ralphdibny you're welcome! I'm doing well thanks, the thyroid has improved thanks to the medication so I'm feeling much better lately! I didn't get round to rearranging that interview, I didn't want the stress of changing jobs around starting new medication. However in the new year I'll look into it and will revamp my job search!

Glad to hear the jobs treating you better now and you can relax more at work, that's super important.

Hope the move goes nice and smooth and best of luck in the new flat! Good choice to focus on that, it would get overwhelming I think!

NedStarksGhost

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers mate, it's been stressful. Lack of sleep, had to drive a van for 200 miles (I haven't driven a manual in like a year and I haven't driven a van in like 5 years!). Most stuff is in, just gota assemble and unpack. Still gota go back for the office stuff like desk and computers etc. I'm/we're finding it hard to motivate ourselves to do the admin side of things i.e. switching bills and checking the inventory which sucks because there's a time limit on the latter at least. It's just hard when there is so much logistics to think about and physical work to perform.

@NedStarksGhost really glad to hear it! I'm off for the next couple of weeks now (joys of being a Zero Hour Contractor). Bit miffed about the late notice but it couldn't have come at a better time really considering the amount of stuff I have to do. They said I'm coming back in Jan but I'll treat that with the same amount of scepticism that I normally do. Just glad to actually have a decent break to look forward to once all this moving stuff is complete!

Best of luck with the new year job search! (To both of us really! 😅) Hopefully we find something decent soon 🤞🤞

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny The inventory aside, all the other little things can be retroactively applied. Nobody expects you to have all your bills sorted in the first couple weeks, especially over the holidays. You've done the hard part now, you've literally moved. You'll get around to the rest in due course, I'm sure. Sorry it's been such a stressful long weekend for you, but I hope you're through the worst of it now. Well done!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers man! Yeah it's all good. Put up some curtains and nicked a vase from my mum's house to put some flowers in for when my partner came home. The Lappland (TV unit) is up, 55inch OLED is in situ. Gotta get some inserts for it from IKEA tomorrow so I can set up all the smaller games consoles/VR box etc. It's feeling much more homely. Just gota re-staple the backs of some bookshelves and empty some boxes onto them! Also gotta build a dropleaf/gateleg dining table (space saving design 😎). I've loaded the fridge up with beer. It's starting to feel more like a home now!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Beer in fridge, TV on, and you even remembered flowers for your partner...?

Yeah, you're basically done! Good work!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha, nah just the vase! She got sent the flowers by her aunt but they'd been sitting in an iron maiden trooper beer pint glass for a few days 😂

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny No vase, no matter how ornate, could possibly count as an upgrade from that!

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.