Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 381 to 400 of 879

nessisonett

@Th3solution Kingkiller is just so good, despite it seemingly never finishing. It’s one of the few properties I hope never gets adapted, as it just would end up really cheesy when the books are grounded.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett I agree. The story is so good but also part of the charm of the whole thing is Rothfuss’s writing style. He’s one of the writers that has a knack for just making words flow off the page and reading them feels effortless. Which, unexpectedly, he stated recently that Book 3 has been worked on but a lot of the content was written back as far as 1998 and he said he was such a poor writer back then that he just had to rewrite much of it, which in turn made it incongruent with the other sections that were written and it sounds like it just turned into a complete restart.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution A series I've always meant to read but never got around to is the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Looks good, have you read those books? Maybe if I finish LotR I'll get around to it!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman No, it’s a series I’ve always meant to read also. I heard great things about it, but when I watched the movie I thought it was pretty weird, so it decreased my interest in the books.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

MightyDemon82

@Th3solution Have you read Malazan book of the fallen? Those are excellent books I'm currently finishing up Return of the Crimson Guard.

@TheBrandedSwordsman I've only read the first Dune book but I liked it enough to want to continue with the series, Just loads of other things to read first!

MightyDemon82

andreoni79

I just started Vasily Grossman’s "Life and Fate". The soviet jewish journalist spent over 1000 days on the WWII front and he was directly involved in the most important battles between Russians and Germans.
A punch in the gut.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Th3solution

@MightyDemon82 No I haven’t read those. I’m not familiar with that series or author. What are they like?

MightyDemon82

@Th3solution it's fantasy but pretty hard to pigeon hole it in that one particular genre. Large scale battles , scheming god's, Dragons, a unique magic system.

The 10 main books are all very different and take place in different regions around the world of Malazan. You could read one book and then the next one will feature different locations, Characters entirely unrelated to what you read in the previous book . The authors are friends who created it whilst coming up with a world for a role playing session of D&D.

MightyDemon82

Th3solution

@MightyDemon82 Sounds pretty cool. Maybe like the DragonLance series? I read a handful of those. Some were good some were ‘’meh’

MightyDemon82

@Th3solution I haven't read those but like most large series there is usually a dud in the crowd. The first book was initially written as a script for a movie I believe. It seems to turn people off, the book just drops you in the middle of the action and your kind of left to figure it out yourself.

No hand holding in this series but I personally loved it and am now reading all the books outside the main ones!

MightyDemon82

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution In LotR Frodo and company have just left the house of Tom Bombadil and run into a barrow-wight, summoning Tom through song to help them in their plight riveting stuff, and that isn't sarcasm, well, I'm enjoying the book anyway. I thought the barrow-wights were quite a cool creation

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

LordSteev

@MightyDemon82 Hey! Another Book of the Fallen fan!

I think this is my favorite fantasy series of all time, along with R. Scott Bakkar's The Prince of Nothing series. Love the realistic writing by Erikson,. He writes it for adults, it feels like. That's what makes me like this more than, say, Wheel of Time or any of the Sanderson stuff. Malazan is GRITTY!

LordSteev

MightyDemon82

@LordSteev Nice one that's my feeling as well, characters are like real people in the way they behave.

Have you read the Esslemont books? I'm starting Stonewielder this weekend. Really looking forward to the books following Karsa though!

MightyDemon82

LordSteev

@MightyDemon82 I think I read the first two Malazan add-on ones he wrote. I prefered Erikson's style, though. I thought Esslemont's had a bit more action, but Erickson's were a little deeper.

I go through different stages of what I want to read, and for whatever reason, I've bounced back in to more Science Fiction lately. Not sure if you're familiar with Neal Asher, but I've mowed down about 3 of his in a row recently, and currently about 3/4 of the way through Fall, or Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson. I like both of these guys, and have read everything Stephenson has written, most twice. Don't know if you are here in the States or Europe, but I would have read everything by Asher, too, if they were easier to find over here.

LordSteev

MightyDemon82

@LordSteev I'm in the UK . Will keep those authors in mind as I do fancy some sci-fi after several fantasy books in a row. I'd even like to read some shorter one and done books, but I seem to be drawn to multi book stories with huge page counts.

MightyDemon82

LordSteev

@MightyDemon82 I'm with you on huge page counts. Not only do I seem to seek out fat multi-volumes, but usually older ones that are already finished, so that I can binge read the whole saga rather than waiting years between books.

If you're looking for a break between epic sagas, one book I think will blow your mind is Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's got a razor sharp modern Cyberpunk vibe to it, and just expanded my mind at every turn with great ideas. It's only his second book, so it's pretty old now, not sure how easy it'd be to find. If you've got a good used book store near you, keep your eyes open for it. I'd never presume to tell you I'm sure you'll like it, but I'd say there's a great chance!

Edited on by LordSteev

LordSteev

Thrillho

@MightyDemon82 @LordSteev As well as the M Banks books, I quite enjoyed the Revelation Space trilogy by Alistair Reynolds.

It’s pretty much a continuation of the same story with the same narrative effect of each book having two separate stories that come together at the end. I was just left a little disappointed how the final book finished but they’re well worth a look.

Thrillho

MightyDemon82

@LordSteev I'd give anything to visit a real book store/comic shop at the moment. As I have my birthday coming up at the end of the month I've added Snow Crash to my basket on Amazon as I know I'll get vouchers for that!

@Thrillho I'll add those to my list as well cheers, I'm also interested in the 3 Body Problem series from the Chinese author that wrote the book that The Wandering Earth was adapted from. Anyone read those?

MightyDemon82

Black_Swordsman

Still reading LotR @Th3solution @LieuetenantFatman They have just left Tom Bombadil's company and are now in the territory of the Bree-folk; Men and Hobbits, and have received a most unwelcome welcome from the gatekeeper. Trouble afoot, perhaps

LordSteev

@Thrillho I do books like most people do games. That is, I have a huge backlog! I've bought the first book of the Revelation Space series, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Thank you for the recommendation, I'll move it up on my list!

LordSteev

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic