Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 321 to 340 of 882

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I like Black Cat specifically because she wants to show Peter the kind of life he could be living, free from all his personal responsibilities and turmoil, and it emotionally toys with him as someone who constantly feels that his personal and heroic life could crumble at any second if he didn't balance them out. It was actually really nice seeing them become close again during the Nick Spencer run on TASM after Otto Octavius basically threw that relationship into chaos. Rogue and Gambit are also great in terms of general chemistry. Rob Liefeld would be interesting in that department but I feel like Deadpool's romances only really work with Copycat. She's like the one persisting figure in his life who stuck with him, even going as far as cheating him out of prior commitments.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

I’ve been reading the Empyre comics, the latest relatively woeful crossover from Marvel. While 12 year old me is squealing that Wiccan and Hulkling are married, they decided to completely sh*t all over their characters as usual. Got to love it when they ‘subvert expectations’.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Wiccan and Hulkling getting married was awesome but my fanboy moment was seeing Wolverine and Spider-Man leading the Fantastic Four (Wolvie in a blue suit actually looks really sick). It feels like now that Disney has all these characters under their belt for use in films again they can just go all out with crossovers in the comics to that extent like they used to. Shame that Peter didn't wear a bag over his head though

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Bag-Man was great, I was so glad he was in Spider-Man PS4. I’ve never actually been much of a Wolverine fan in the X-Men comics but I do like his crossovers and interactions with other heroes like Ms Marvel and Spider-Man. It’s not been the worst crossover but they really haven’t been great in a good few years.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Wolverine was great in that one issue of Ms. Marvel when they were going after mutants who were being used in The Inventor's plan in the sewage line. Wolverine is actually really well developed in solo stuff like his Chris Claremont solo series from the 80s (where he goes to Tokyo) as well as Old Man Logan. I didn't like the stuff with Spidey post-Parker Industries because it felt like Slott was just writing things in for his character just to piss fans off with the discontinuities in his personality, as well as bringing back his roomate Robbie Robertson just for him to be a dick to Peter even though they were like best friends during the 90s comics. The Nick Spencer run is actually really freaking good so far.

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Oh yeah, Wolvie’s solo series are really really good. On that note, the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game is amazing despite the movie being a dumpster fire. I did like The Wolverine though, that’s an underrated movie.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett X-Men Origins the game was actually great and ended up rectifying quite a few of the problems I had with how disastrous the movie's plot was. The Wolverine was really good for two acts but the whole Silver Samurai CG fest with Viper and Yashida was so out of place in an otherwise pretty decent film. Even after Dark Phoenix I still believe the Fox film series would've been better off ending at Logan.

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Ah yes, Dark Phoenix. Oh dear. Now that’s a classic comics arc they’ve stuffed up twice. Unfortunately that means Disney are unlikely to adapt that in the MCU. Same as Days of Future Past as well, it’s already been done so I struggle to think what sorta stories they would look at for a potential MCU X-Men. Hopefully not Avengers vs X-Men, I wasn’t big on that.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I honestly don't know what kind of result Fox execs were expecting when they got the writer of The Last Stand to not just write, but also DIRECT the film as well.

In terms of untouched X-Men material that the MCU can adapt, E is for Extinction from Grant Morrison's New X-Men run is definitely a noteworthy story if they actually want to finally give a crap about Cyclops and Jean Grey after how royally Fox screwed them both over not once but twice. I also think if the MCU is more intent on giving everyone comic accurate aesthetics and origins, another shot at Weapon X with Wolverine's time being weaponized for the government would be a great way of finally doing the story justice after how much it was hyped up and anticlimactically disserviced in X2 and Origins

TheFrenchiestFry

BowTiesAreCool

@TheFrenchiestFry it'll never happen but House of M would be a dream (although from what I can gather the Disney+ series with Scarlet Witch and Vision will take a few elements from it?)

Currently going through a re-read of LotR and a first read of Watchmen. Annoyed at myself that I never gave it a chance sooner. It's soooo good.

BowTiesAreCool

TheFrenchiestFry

@BowTiesAreCool I imagine WandaVision will take light elements from it but if they really wanted to go all out on adapting House of M firstly they'd make MCU Scarlet Witch an actual mutant, and secondly Civil War would've definitely been the time to take elements inspired from that story given the fact Wanda is largely responsible for a huge amount of the universe-level destruction in House of M and that particular event as a result of being mind-controlled by Doom as well as the killing of her family, who they could've subbed in with Zemo because film rights issues

Also enjoy Watchmen. It's easily a top 5 contender for best graphic novels of all time. Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan are among my favorite DC characters

TheFrenchiestFry

Porkfiend

Am working my way through the Absolute Sandman collection (Vol 1 to 5, Overture and Death)...haven't read these stories in nearly thirty years, and of course Overture not at all, and coupled with the artwork on these books it's quite the experience.

Porkfiend

Porkfiend

@LN78 Unfortunately I've never been able to relate at all to audio books. I fully appreciate that they have their place, especially for those with vision challenges, but I just can't get on with them! With Sandman I imagine even more so, bearing in mind the artwork is such an integral part of the stories.

Porkfiend

Porkfiend

@LN78 Thanks! Between all the binge-watching and gaming these days, I do find it more of an effort to tear myself away and start actually reading something, but always enjoy it when I do so.

Porkfiend

rafitafi

Atm reading Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. Only started, but the beginning seems to be promising!

rafitafi

LieutenantFatman

Currently reading Summer Lightning by PG Wodehouse, classic comedy, hurrah! Found a copy of Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell so I'll probably read that next.

LieutenantFatman

Vahla_Hanesh

Just finished reading Book 3 of the Saga comics by Brian K. Vaughan. I was very much a fan of his from the excellent Y: The Last Man so I bought this series without knowing much about it. It's a beautiful story and its setting most often compared to Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. It's hard to describe without it sounding trite (doesn't much work well with synopses) - a forbidden romance between two warring races? I trusted that I would enjoy it based on the author's previous work and I wasn't wrong. It's one of the easiest graphic novels I've ever read, especially for a fictional universe that has little to reference to. It flows so well and before I knew it I was through 54 issues and desperate for more.

Edited on by Vahla_Hanesh

Vahla_Hanesh

Vahla_Hanesh

@LN78 Yeah, I heard that too, unfortunately. It's a shame as it seems like a series that has definite end point. I will check out Barrier - thanks! I think he's very good at writing social commentary in a more interesting way than most.

Vahla_Hanesh

nessisonett

@Vahla_Hanesh I love Saga, I’m a huge fan of Brian K. Vaughan mostly because I had all the Runaways comics growing up. Shame about the Runaways show being cancelled, it was hokey but great fun. Paper Girls is excellent as well but I never did read Y: The Last Man. They’re making a show of that as well so should be interesting.

Vahla_Hanesh

@nessisonett Highly recommend Y: The Last Man if you love Saga. It's the first comic I really loved as an adult.

Vahla_Hanesh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic