Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 341 to 358 of 358

LieutenantFatman

Currently reading Summer Lightning by PG Wodehouse, classic comedy, hurrah! Found a copy of Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell so I'll probably read that next.

LieutenantFatman

Vahla_Hanesh

Just finished reading Book 3 of the Saga comics by Brian K. Vaughan. I was very much a fan of his from the excellent Y: The Last Man so I bought this series without knowing much about it. It's a beautiful story and its setting most often compared to Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. It's hard to describe without it sounding trite (doesn't much work well with synopses) - a forbidden romance between two warring races? I trusted that I would enjoy it based on the author's previous work and I wasn't wrong. It's one of the easiest graphic novels I've ever read, especially for a fictional universe that has little to reference to. It flows so well and before I knew it I was through 54 issues and desperate for more.

Edited on by Vahla_Hanesh

Vahla_Hanesh

Vahla_Hanesh

@LN78 Yeah, I heard that too, unfortunately. It's a shame as it seems like a series that has definite end point. I will check out Barrier - thanks! I think he's very good at writing social commentary in a more interesting way than most.

Vahla_Hanesh

nessisonett

@Vahla_Hanesh I love Saga, I’m a huge fan of Brian K. Vaughan mostly because I had all the Runaways comics growing up. Shame about the Runaways show being cancelled, it was hokey but great fun. Paper Girls is excellent as well but I never did read Y: The Last Man. They’re making a show of that as well so should be interesting.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Vahla_Hanesh

@nessisonett Highly recommend Y: The Last Man if you love Saga. It's the first comic I really loved as an adult.

Vahla_Hanesh

Draco_V_Ecliptic

I'm almost at the end of The Lost Estate (Le Grande Meaulnes) by Alan Fournier. It's a great book and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the classics. Nostalgic, bittersweet and poignant.

Edit: I've finished it now and was thoroughly satisfied with the conclusion.

Edited on by Draco_V_Ecliptic

"Guinevere herself was unworthy of the love she inspired, but then a queen steps so lightly even when crushing a louse."

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

Realised that I get 5 free books through Amazon Prime and the Kindle app a bit like a digital library. I can return them and pick a new one. Thought for now I’d read some comics so started the original Spider-Man Lee/Ditko comics which are really quite fun. Also picked up Flashpoint, Batman Year One, World War Hulk and Hickman’s Avengers.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

TheFrenchiestFry

About to wrap up Dune and start Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but I'm also going to continue with Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run, as well as reading Batman Earth One, catching up with Marvel's Empyre event and Superman: For All Seasons

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

Read Spider-Man: Blue. Now I feel blue. Lord, that’s an emotional rollercoaster but utterly brilliant. One of the best limited series I’ve read and possibly my favourite take on Spider-Man. Strange to think it came from Jeph Loeb. Shame I can’t get the Daredevil or Hulk ones through this Prime thing but I’ll buy them soon enough if they’re anywhere close to that quality.

BowTiesAreCool

@TheFrenchiestFry I've literally just started Dune on my lunch today. Hoping to get a decent self-made visual of the world locked down in my head before tomorrow's trailer for the film wipes it all away!

BowTiesAreCool

Draco_V_Ecliptic

@LieutenantFatman Sounds good, do you reckon you'll get around to reading either Nadja by Andre Breton or Le Grande Meaulnes by Fournier? Or have you read either of them already? Do you like the classics in general? Shelley, The Bronte Sisters etc. ? Perhaps, like myself, you enjoy sitting down beside the metaphorical fireplace with a fine glass of red in hand, to read.

"Guinevere herself was unworthy of the love she inspired, but then a queen steps so lightly even when crushing a louse."

LieutenantFatman

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
I suppose it depends on how you define a book as being a literary classic. I've read Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dune, Lord of the Flies, The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings and plenty of PG Wodehouse. I usually read more recent books but I like to mix it up a bit now and then. No wine for me!

@BowTiesAreCool
Dune is great, quite an epic novel at almost 600 pages long. There's a lot of books in the series. Many people suggest sticking with just the first book is a good way to go, so that's what I did. Should hopefully make for an awesome film.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

Draco_V_Ecliptic

@LieutenantFatman Teetotaller then? Just a cup of coffee by the metaphorical fireplace then?
No, but yeah, all the literary classics you mention are great, perhaps I should employ some PG Wodehouse for a hearty chuckle, myself.

Draco_V_Ecliptic

I'm currently about halfway through Nadja by Andre Breton, not too bad so far, good little surrealist novel.

LieutenantFatman

@TheFrenchiestFry
The book has sold over 10 million copies. Yes, there were less in the first edition but different editions will have different numbers of pages. Maybe try losing the condescending attitude, there's really no need for it.

LieutenantFatman

Draco_V_Ecliptic

I just finished Nadja by Andre Breton, I didn't think it was particularly surreal, overall, despite my previous statement, though it did have surrealist themes, ideas & motifs - Nadja's dreams, in particular, fall under that category. It's good, but not really a surrealist novel, and it isn't as good as The Lost Estate by Alan Fournier - a much better novel.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic