Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 241 to 260 of 890

KALofKRYPTON

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
Despite my love for epic fantasy, I have tried and failed several times to get in to LOTR. Don't know exactly what it is - but it's never gelled with me.

The Hobbit is a good book though, had to read it at school.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

QualityGeezer

I'm lucky my sister works in a library so has the power to order stuff in. I tend to get a few autobiographies at Christmas so just started Tyson fury's book. It's very interesting and refreshing his honesty about his mental health issues and the negativity he faced for being a traveller

QualityGeezer

KALofKRYPTON

@QualityGeezer That must be an interesting read!

I'm not much for biographies, but Schwarzenegger's was a blast!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

QualityGeezer

@KALofKRYPTON funnily enough I have that too not got round to it yet tho. I've always liked an autobiography as long as it's written well and seems genuine. The best ones I've read have unusually been people I didn't have a massive interest in either such as slash that was a good read

QualityGeezer

LieutenantFatman

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
I read The Hobbit a few times growing up, was a favourite of mine. The Lord of the Rings, what sequel! Perhaps a bit longer than it needs to be though.

Just started reading Leave it to Psmith by PG Woodhouse. Fiction and comedy rolled into one has always been very tempting to me. And Wodehouse is easily one of the best when it comes to that.

LieutenantFatman

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles They are very long. Great, but very very long. I have an old copy of the whole trilogy in one massive volume and the pages are Bible-thin. Still love them though, the movies are great but nothing quite captures Tolkien’s imagination.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett i have one like that, it was my grandfathers, then my fathers now it's mine

it's not in the best of shape anymore so i brought a new set

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Thrillho

@QualityGeezer The best book I’ve read recently was an autobiography called Barbarian Days by a guy called William Finnegan.

He’s now a staff writer for The New Yorker and won the Pulitzer Prize for the book. It’s actually nothing to do with his career but all about his love for surfing and follows him through his life focusing on that aspect.

If you’re into surfing it’s a must read. If you’re not, it’s still a fantastic read.

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@Xianders Dracula is a wonderful book. There's nothing else I've ever read that pays so much attention to people washing and peeing!

KALofKRYPTON

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah. Van Helsing is pretty hot on making sure everyone has 'made toilet'

I have read J&H - also a very good book.

KALofKRYPTON

@JoeBlogs You mean the BBC one?

if so, yes I've seen it - it's terrible.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

nessisonett

@JoeBlogs I absolutely hated the first episode of Dracula but the second was brilliant. The third was ok but didn’t quite live up to the second. Claes Bang was fantastic as Dracula, probably the best I’ve seen in a long time.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KALofKRYPTON

@nessisonett I found it almost insultingly self-indulgent. Episode 3 is one of the worst bits of TV I've ever seen, the second was a close second to that. Dolly Wells as Agatha was the only saving Grace.

@JoeBlogs Despite the casting, the Bram Stoker's Dracula 90's film isn't too far off. It maintains most elements from the from the book and handles the overall story very well.

Black_Swordsman

I recently finished The Hobbit, I mentioned that I was reading it in The Creative Writing/Literature thread, I have just started The Fellowship of the Ring (first volume of The Lord of the Rings novel) and aim to get through that over the next few months.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RsC

Generally read a book per week - particularly when in bed, read and thoroughly enjoy any books written by 3 particular authors: Harlan Coben
Linwood Barclay
Shari Lapena
All write in an easy on the eye/brain format and all generally have a twist or surprise ending. I have a pre-order on Amazon for each author.
Try any of these authors, guarantee you will not be disappointed...

RsC

crimsontadpoles

My big problem with books is that I just never get around to reading them. It's too easy for me to play games or do other things instead. These days, I can go months at a time without reading, which means that it could take me years to finish a book. I'm trying to change that though, as I would like to read more regularly.

Currently I'm enjoying 1984 by George Orwell, getting towards the end of that now.

Elodin

Almost done with City of Brass. It's quite good and it's a trilogy to boot so I get to keep going. Unless of course Doors of Stone comes out then all other life stops, sorry wife, kids, and work it's time to see what Kvothe has gotten himself into.

Elodin

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic