Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 581 to 600 of 2,757

PossibLeigh

@render Sorry to hijack your question! I do love roguelites.

PossibLeigh

Quintumply

@render There's a lot of variation among rogue games. PossibLeigh has some great recommendations above but ones I've personally enjoyed include Rogue Legacy, Slay the Spire, UnderMine, Enter the Gungeon, Curse of the Dead Gods, and Spelunky (1&2). Hades is probably coming to PlayStation at some point — I've been holding out for that.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

render

@PossibLeigh @Quintumply Thanks guys, some interesting recommendations and it's good to see that people are generally passionate about the genre. I will definitely put some of those on my list. I've seen some gameplay from Spelunky before and that looked both good and infuriating at the same time. Dead Cells definitely was when I played that as I seemed to be making zero progress but I'm not sure I'd spent enough time understanding what the deal was with regards unlocking things etc.

Even if Returnal is missing a few things from the best rougelikes it seems like a good starting point. It gives you a good idea of what to expect in one, and in a very well presented package. I think it's probably got a lot more people interested in genre in general.

render

JohnnyShoulder

I think the only Rogue-lite/like I've really liked is Dead Cells, and even then I bounced off it initially. The others I've played I eventually get bored of going through the same areas repeatedly.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

Phew, that's Ixion done for me! I had a decent load out with a Hollowseeker that had the serrated projectiles trait and had 125% integrity. Didn't take a hit in the first two parts but the red rings on the third got me good. I probably could have finished without it but I had a health consumable to make sure I got there.

It was also lucky as it was one of the few runs where I've found a data cube on the map!

@JigsawPieces Any joy for you? With regards to the swooping, he only ever comes in the same direction. There's a larger rock structure on one side of the arena so I always headed for that and he would then come left to right across the screen and is very easily avoidable.

I videoed the fight so it's around the 1:15 to 1:20 mark that you can see what I mean (I've only linked to the vid for spoiler reasons for others).

There was a little surprise when a random lamiadon appeared around the 2:20 mark!

Thrillho

render

@JohnnyShoulder Yes that got me with Dead Cells definitely. I was playing something else at the time as well so just ended up moving away from it because it was just going over the same ground again and as I hadn't completely sussed it I just ended up not going back.

That's where Returnal is different as you've got that story to pull you along, and it doesn't take too long to learn how things work that it's fairly accessible. I know the difficultly might put some people off but it's a bit like a bridge between a 3rd person shooter and a proper hardcore rougelike.

@Thrillho That's a classy effort, way more controlled than my winning attempt 👍

render

Voltan

Watching these boss fight vids lets you fully appreciate how cool the designs (both the models and the attack patterns and stuff) really are. No time for that when it's you doing it lol

Voltan

render

@Voltan Ha ha yep I'm not sure I've taken the time to really appreciate that during a fight. I've done all of the bosses now except the last one and so far I think I like Hyperion the best just because of the build up to it and the music. I could definitely read the attack patterns of Ixion easier and it was a great battle but I will have to mark it down due to the fact that I managed to fall off the platform and only just survived!

render

JigsawPieces

@Thrillho Congrats! Very professionally dispatched

I've not had a chance to have another go yet, but I'm hoping to try this evening. That looks like a great way of dealing with the swooping, thanks, so hopefully that will help. Just having the chance to look at it while not under pressure helps, too, so thanks for the vid.

The third phase looks a bit crazy!

JigsawPieces

PSN: JigsawPieces

JohnnyShoulder

@Feena That is good to know, from what I've seen and read about it, it does seem I will like it and what render mentions about the story too should keep me hooked.

@render Yeah same with Dead Cells, I was in the middle of another game when it came out, so my mind was on that and could not concentrate on Dead Cells. Not sure exactly what is about Dead Cells that clicked eventually. I liked the sound effects when you used the frying pan on enemies! 🤣

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@JohnnyShoulder Awesome, I'll have to at least go back to Dead Cells then just to experience the frying pan 😀

render

nessisonett

@render Yeah, Hades is PC/Switch only but one of the best out there. Isaac, Spelunky, Slay The Spire, Gungeon and Dead Cells are probably the most popular ones and thus the most supported online with mods and tips. Crypt of the Necrodancer also comes recommended as it’s a great mash-up of rhythm games and roguelikes. My personal favourite is Tales of Maj’Eyal though, a ludicrously complicated true roguelike that’s PC only and has 1755 achievements on Steam. I like a good dungeon crawler and the runs are incredibly different each time despite going through mostly the same areas. That’s my problem with Returnal, it sacrificed fun builds to make the gameplay more homogenised. There’s no potential for stupid or over the top builds, which was my favourite part of Binding of Isaac.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Scratchy_Seal

@Voltan well I hadn’t intended on looking at the location but spoilers aren’t hidden in email notifications, 😳. No biggie but wow, failing a decent run it could’ve taken me quite a while to find that if you know what I mean! I would’ve been trying all the ‘obvious’ places and no doubt dying before fully exploring.

@nessisonett @render @Feena @JigsawPieces @roe @Thrillho

Sorry for the random one but just out of interest are any of you lot PSN friends? Just thinking re Daily challenge scores...😉. If you want to feel good about yourselves by smashing my scores please feel free to add Wax_Fondler

Scratchy_Seal

render

@nessisonett They all sound interesting. I've pretty much just got the Playstation these days due to getting fed up years ago with spending more time maintaining a PC than actually using it for anything fun. Hopefully some of these will come to Playstation one day or I guess I could always try out something like GeForce Now.

@Scratchy_Seal I think I've got like 3 PSN friends as I don't spend a great deal of time playing multiplayer or anything. If I'm on later I will add you to that ever expanding list and you can then laugh at my scores also 😂. Actually I think as you've finished the game you will be doing a different daily challenge to me?

Edited on by render

render

Scratchy_Seal

@render yeah it’ll be tier 6 so if you’re not doing that yet I’m sure you will soon enough!

Scratchy_Seal

Thrillho

@render Ha, thanks! @Voltan I do occasionally record big boss fights that I enjoyed because it is interesting to watch them back afterwards. Like this one, it feels so frantic but it looks so calm when you watch it back! It's also funny to see how long it actually took as some boss fights feel like they've gone on forever but have only been three or four minutes. Thankfully on the recorded run I didn't pause the game to have a breather and recompose myself; I sometimes find it helps settle the adrenaline down and help focus and sometimes turning boss music down helps me focus if I'm struggling.

@JigsawPieces Good luck with your run! In hindsight, the first two parts you can take your time as you definitely need to save your health for the third section

As for me, I'm just about to hit boss number three having got there straight from the previous fight (with the help of an astronaut figure and the resurrector anyway..). I'll be gutted to lose this build.

Thrillho

Thrillho

So...err.. I guess that was Nemesis then?

And I lost my build despite beating him!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Wow, congrats. Getting to Nemesis was more painful than the actual boss imo so if you had a good build then you were bound to beat it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic