Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,621 to 2,640 of 2,757

render

@RubyCarbuncle Yeah crazy hey! I think a lot of it is building your multiplier early but also having level 3 traits unlocked. You still have to avoid getting hit though which apparently they are quite good at and we are maybe not so much 😅

render

Just2Milky

@render some of the videos out there for #1 are crazy. I could barely get to 9.5 mil before dying!

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

render

@Just2Milky I had a look at some and those people have some sort of all seeing ability that enables them to react in a way that I can never truly understand. They have possibly transcended to a level above mere humans and are now just beings of energy feeding off of spare cycles in their PS5s CPU.

render

CJD87

@render How are things up in the tower?! Ha....

I've finally put down Elden Ring after hitting the plat, and have returned to Returnal - it definitely took some time for the muscle memory to kick back in!

It feels unreasonably quick paced after ER, but I am slowly finding my feet... and nothing hits quite like a nicely levelled Hollowseeker with Portal Beam III...

I'm determined to hit all the trophies, but I cannot get to the boss final form - which is 3:20 right?

3:11 is the furthest I've got, but the enemies hit so damn hard! Any tips? Are you focussing on weapon progression or integrity?

CJD87

Just2Milky

@CJD87 the main thing that helped me was: run. Get through rooms ASAP, and try to be near the portal so you can get the 50 obolites. I focused on health upgrades and then weapon proficiency, just cause you’ll be killing so many enemies.

Don’t forget to use disgorgers as well - they aren’t stingy in handing them out

Edited on by Just2Milky

———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

CJD87

@Just2Milky Cheers man... its incredible fun, but a challenge for sure!

Yes, I actually have a bit of a tactic in that I try to clear all the hardcore enemies as a priority and then leave one 'straggler' (lower-tier) enemy so I can reposition right by the exit portal before taking him out.

The disorgers are awesome, and I'm doing my best to save these for the boss phases - they tend to absolutely melt through him, even his phase 2.

I think I'm trying to rush through the trophies so I can start playing Horizon... haha! I'm sure I can wrap this in a week perhaps.

Assume you've got all the DLC trophies now? RE. The 'Kill 100 enemies with disorgers' - can this be attained over multiple runs or does it need to be in a single session?

CJD87

render

@CJD87 Welcome to the tower 🥳

It’s a really tough mode and I’m amazed how big some of the scores are so far. I’ve only made it to 6.5m so far but I’m finding it very much like the main game. Sometimes you think you are on a good run and it all falls to pieces and other times you think about giving up on a run and it goes and goes. Either way it can go south in seconds on some of there later phases.

Your tactic about leaving a straggler near the exit is a good one and I’ve been trying to do the same myself. I’ve also been trying to use melee more early on and on any turrets due to it building the multiplier quicker. Another thing I’ve been doing is saving my disgorgers for the really busy rooms where there are a few elite hostiles as once you’ve got Algos’ moves down you won’t need the extra fire power with that. For now though I don’t blame you for using them there as some of the attack patterns can be hard to dodge.

Weapons wise I’ve been taking anything that as a trait to unlock but have been favouring Dreadbound with expanding + exploding and Thermo with full auto over other things. I have started to try out the coilspine and pyrocaster a bit more though but find them a real challenge as you have to be much more accurate.

Good luck out there 😀

render

CJD87

@render Some of the scores are absolutely insane, I honestly cannot comprehend how there are people out there with these skillsets! But for sure, you are totally right that even some of the strongest runs can fall apart in a matter of seconds - especially phase 3.

I like your thinking actually regarding utilising the disgorger weapons in the 'regular' rooms with some of the tougher enemies. In reality the boss phases are not actually that tough, and the moveset/s fairly well telegraphed. I'll change it up a bit and give that a try.

Haha oh wow so interesting you favour Dreadbound... I hate that weapon with a passion! (Although not as much as the shotgun ) Thanks and will report back when (or "if") I manage to scoop the trophies.

NB/ PSN Profiles is currently showing 1.7% (!!!) attainment on the Gold trophy in the DLC! You're one elite guy!

CJD87

render

@CJD87 Yeah crazy hey, I used to hate the Dreadbound as well but due to it effectively not running out of ammo you can really rip through things close up. It's not great for things further away though and I still get that brown trouser moment every now and then as I'm pulling the trigger and nothing is happening 😅

The lobber is still one of my favourite weapons in the game but I'm finding it a lot harder to keep on top of the crowds in the later levels due to it being a slower firing weapon and having to hit the overload perfectly to make the most of it. The other thing that's weird is that I used to love the pylon driver but now really struggle to make that work at all. Amazing how different things are 12 months on.

I really wish I was elite and then I'd be up there with those guys with the 350m or whatever the crazy #1 score is at the moment 😂

@Kairu I have no beef with the fact that I paid full price for this game on release. I'm still enjoying it to this day due to the DLC dropping and it's just so much fun. At some point I will likely ditch my save so that I can play through the main campaign again, it's just that good. However you get it I hope you enjoy it!

Edited on by render

render

Just2Milky

@CJD87 @render I used to hate the Dreadbound still do , and yes, kill 100 disgorgers is over multiple runs

After posting, I see that the emoji ruins the joke.

Last edit: you only need to get max run to phase 3:20 for all the trophies,

Edited on by Just2Milky

———

CJD87

@Just2Milky just hit 3:20 and melted the last form boss…. Against all logic and rationale, I stuck with a lvl32 Hollowseeker from end of phase 2 - all the way through to 3:20! (Despite getting full lv45 proficiency around 3:3)
Just a couple disgorged runs now and it’s a wrap… absolute pleasure as I’d hoped it would be!

@render your tip was great, and I used my disgorges pretty much exclusively on elite enemies… only keeping 1 on standby for the ‘unknown’ phase 3 of the boss on 3:20. Such an awesome game and a very welcome DLC. Honestly I would have paid for the DLC, so even better it was free! Are you fully trophy’d now??

CJD87

render

@CJD87 Awesome work, you've blitzed through that and it sounds like you had a good run going there. I've got the disgorger trophy to go still which I think I'm about 20 hostiles away from unlocking. I've not been in any hurry with it as I'm going to keep playing for a bit to see if I can push myself up the leaderboard a bit. It's unlikely but I just want to prove to myself that I can get something I can say is a reasonable score. It might change over time what "reasonable" is though if I'm having no success 😆

Are you going onto HFW next? I really enjoyed my time with that so hope you do too.

render

CJD87

@render Thanks man, not sure about 'blitzed' but luckily had a run that clicked. I think there is always a tendency with Returnal to go against gut-instinct and sometimes swap out a weapon because it has a higher star rating.... irrespective of how well you connect with it!
Glad I stuck it out with the tried&tested Hollowseeker

I'll definitely do a few runs over next couple days and aim to get the last trophy, but not sure I'll work to push up the leaderboard.... the metrics for "reasonable score" are just ridiculously higher!

Ah well I had planned to move straight onto HFW, but must confess I never played Zero Dawn. I reached out on this site for some advcie, and it became quickly apparent that I'd be facing a lynch-mob if I didnt at least do the MSQ from Zero Dawn!

So plan is to do HZD, possibly shoot for platinum if I am enjoying. Then onto HFW. Need to squeeze in Re3make also, but not sure when.

Thanks again for the tips, just checked the gold trophy stat and shows as <0.7% attainment on my PS app!

CJD87

render

@CJD87 Those scores are truly insane. I do wonder if HMQ expected people to get anywhere near those as they feel so out of reach. Some of the rooms are overwhelming stacked against you when you are trying to not only stay alive but also keep your multiplier from dropping too far - which makes them even more impressive.

It works amazingly well in this format though but it would be nice if there was a daily leaderboard, or even some sort of daily challenge with it such as locking you into one weapon.

I remember the discussion about HZD and HFW now as I was one of those that said you’ve got to play ZD first. It’s the right thing to do and I’m looking forward to seeing how you find it. Now that I’ve played FW I can see the shortcomings of the first game much more now but still love it as a game and would happily play it again.

Edited on by render

render

CJD87

@render Quick update mate - just mopped the Disgorger trophy, that’s a wrap

Such a pleasure to come back to this game, and took less time than I thought to ‘get the groove back’ and re-learn mechanics etc

Horizon (ZD) beckons next, but I’m flirting with the idea of having a blast on Re3make. Liking the idea of a shorter game, something more linear etc, before diving into another open world post-Elden Ring

CJD87

render

@CJD87 That was quick work but well done on getting those all wrapped up. I started a run on the tower last night that looked like it was going to be good. Got the multiplier up to 30 and had a few good carbine drops but in the end I got greedy and it all ended in seconds. The hardest part is keeping your cool when everything is closing in on you. I’ll have another go later and might well wrap that trophy up myself 😀

render

render

Path 3.03 out today is supposed to rebalance things in the tower and will result in the leaderboard being reset. Hope that means it’s harder on the later levels so those scores don’t get so crazy 😝

render

Voltan

@render That's exactly what it sounds like - just going by the patch notes.

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

Think these are pretty cool. Already got them on my tablet desktop.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic