Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 381 to 400 of 4,712

BAMozzy

@JJ2 Did you watch the video properly? without your hype or rose tinted specs?

They were quite reserved over the 'ray tracing' expectation and questioning whether it was said as a 'buzz word', whether it will use 'part' of the GPU power that could be used for other aspects or whether it will have a dedicated Ray Tracing block built in. They were cautious here - not expecting GTX2080 (or better) levels of Ray Tracing capability. Also very cautious of going overboard with the Back Compat, not enthusiastically expecting EVERY game to be BC at launch and/or performing better thanks to the jump up in specs.

Therefore tempering expectation on several key points that were mentioned in the Wired interview. Obviously there were parts that were more exciting - such as the fast travel load time in Spider-Man thanks to SSD's and 'not' disappointed about the choices of Zen 2 (hoping it also has multi threading) and the prospects of the future games that up to now, have been built with one eye on the 'weak' Jaguar single core design and clock speeds of the current consoles. This was the most positive part of the discussion and left them enthusiastic over the potential that a Zen 2 processor in a Console can have across the board for gaming - not 'just' the PS5. In their mind, they believe (not that I disagree at all) that Developers have been held back by the consoles Jaguar CPU (inc both Xbox consoles and the Pro too) in ground breaking game design and thus happy that Sony don't appear to be 'cheaping' out on the next CPU. It may still be curtailed a bit comparative to desktop Zen 2 CPU's because it cannot run at the same clock speeds for the power saving and cooling that will be easier to manage. Obviously the drop to 7nm will help with cooling requirements and power draw too - no doubt the power brick will be inside the console which will add to heat issues if CPU, GPU and of course the Fans keeping everything cool are drawing a LOT of power from the brick.

They couldn't really enthuse over Navi too much because Navi is still an unknown and relying on leaked info and insider comments - like Navi outperformed expectation in preliminary testing. In other words, AMD predicted performance from this GPU was greater than that but as its not out in the wilds yet, its an unknown for DF. They cannot have a guesstimate as to how [computational] powerful Navi could be. They also couldn't speculate on RAM, what type and/or how much the new system could have - other than they are expecting more than 8GB - I would expect at least 12GB but again may depend on type and bandwidth they use. It can't be too small or slow as the Spider-Man demo's proved with the ability to stream in assets extremely fast either swinging through the city or when jumping from one area to the next - the assets still need to be loaded in for the 'new' area.

I am not saying that DF didn't have any 'excitement' over the Specs and accompanying info but they weren't making more of things and actually lowering expectation on several key points that were mentioned in the original source material. Considering that most people here are most excited by the prospect of BC (according to Push Squares poll), the way DF downplay it - based on their knowledge of Xbox and what they had to do for just the 'limited' selection of games they have made available in their BC programme - a team of 100 involved in that - its not 'total' and a simple case of just flicking a switch and suddenly every game now works and of course discussions around the build of the Pro and the necessary steps that Mark Cerny had to do just to keep the Pro compatible with existing software.

Of course there were some enthusiastic parts but overall, and certainly as far as some of the features (not necessarily 'hardware') were quite conservative and, as I said tempering expectation. If it does turn out to be total BC with every PS4 game, some (of not all) boosted by the 'higher' specs so that games that drop frames and/or resolution now run locked to the maximum cap, if Ray Tracing is enabled without taking resources away for other GPU needs, for example dropping down to HD or dropping the frame rate down to enable Ray Tracing - much like a GTX2080 instead of it being more like the GTX1080, then that is better than DF are speculating and down-playing. They are not jumping on the Hype train and being overly expectant on what can be achieved in a console and, at the price point expected. I do think they were cautiously optimistic, not reading too much into things and, as Wichard says, better to expect the 'worst' and then be impressed than expect too much and be disappointed - and in this video, I think that comes across. That doesn't mean they weren't optimistic about the hardware but not overly optimistic to the point that no Console at a 'reasonable' price could ever deliver.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JJ2

@BAMozzy
I watched the video twice.
Stopped reading your comment after the first sentence though. I have no time for silly arguments.
I told you my feeling about the video.
I note though that not long ago you were going on about the cpu being zen+ but now Zen 2 sounds meh or something.. Whatever.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Jaz007

@BAMozzy I think it will be fully backward compatible because people will be very unhappy if it’s not. They’ve set that expectation are already.

Jaz007

Ryall

I don’t see why the new PSVR would have any exclusive games. I can attach my PS4 pro up to either a Black-and-white 420p screen or a 4K HDR screen and it will play the same games in the same way. The difference is the games are going to look better on the 4K screen. @Zukato

Ryall

WebHead

There are 3 cost saving measures that could help PS5 be cheaper than Anaconda:
-Sony seems heavily involved with Navi development so it is possible they have a better deal on their chipset
-Sony does not have to pay royaltee/liscence fee for blu ray
-Sony makes proprietary Ssds for their dedicated camcorders. They said the PS5 uses a "custom" SSD so could be saving there too
-Sony likely to be willing to take a loss on the hardware and make up for in in other revenues

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

Jaz007

@Ryall @Zukato Well, bacis information displayed through menus and environment, fine details of puzzles the world not looking absolutely horrific, and important view draw distances. All of those things factor in. That doesn't include more advanced motion tracking and/or being designed to work with a new camera.

Jaz007

JJ2

@WebHead
Good points.
Also, we had this conversation before but then we got new perspective now, the launch window probably matters too.
Not only for components availability specially the chip but I guess things like memory and SSD will be more affordable as time goes by. Thought it maybe March but I'm more thinking of Fall 2020 now.
Just my thoughts as little as I may know.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

WebHead

@JJ2 yeah though i don't think fall necessarily means November. I think September is perfectly plausible as well.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

Zukato

The speculation about the upgradable new console seems to be over for now, where the idea was that you would buy parts to further enhance your own gaming experience. The Pro as a concept didn't become a problem for the PS4, so why change the blueprint?

Edited on by Zukato

Faithful to Jesus.

PSN: ZukaHoly | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@Zukato I don't think the majority were keen on that idea as that sounds too much like pc gaming.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JJ2

@WebHead
Yes I saw that but not sure its reliable tbh. I think its speculation. I agree though, I think March is unlikely.

Edited on by JJ2

redd214

@WebHead lol don't use DigiTimes as a source. Can't think of a more unreliable resource for info t I be honest.

redd214

themcnoisy

I've just realised if the PS5 releases next year it will be the result of Mark Cernys 2020 vision.

Boss eye sight.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

themcnoisy wrote:

I've just realised if the PS5 releases next year it will be the result of Mark Cernys 2020 vision.

Boss eye sight.

You sir, have won Easter today.
Untitled

Jaz007

Octane

Jaz007 wrote:

themcnoisy wrote:

Boss eye sight.

You sir, have won Easter today.
Untitled

Octane

JJ2

So I reckon I'll just put my thoughts here. Be nice, I'm just trying to make sense of what I find on the Internet from a very humble point of view.
I doubt Anaconda is more 'advanced' because what could that mean? For instance if it uses Navi 20 instead of Navi 10 then that would leave Lockheard facing PS5 on launch window while Anaconda releases a year later? They likely mean more powerful for instance using more compute units, more memory, more storage space (though that s nothing to do with power
(I think it's all speculation even from insiders).
So based on DF apisak Gonzalo findings and adoredtv leaks we have something like a 1.8 clock speed and between 48 to 56 CU. That means between 11 and 13TF?

Edited on by JJ2

johncalmc

It really doesn't matter if the new Xbox is more powerful than the new PlayStation - power has never won a generation. Ultimately, price and games matter, and on one of those fronts, the new PlayStation will almost certainly be the better option. If the price is right, I just don't see the new Xbox doing much unless Microsoft has done something really novel.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic