Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 361 to 380 of 4,712

WebHead

I only expect PS4 BC. Tbh at this point its laughable not to expect it.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

Octane

If it looks fake, it is fake.

Octane

kyleforrester87

It doesn't look particularly legit, but it could well be some sort of work in progress for devs to use. But it could just as well obviously not be

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

teknium_

Fake or not I don't think the ps5 controllers will be radically different from the ps4 version, I think the console itself is where will see the big changes, i simply don't see how they can keep a similar design to the ps4 with its awful air flow, as we know games are going to be pretty hefty on ps5 so I'm thinking it will bear some resemblance to a micro pc case, needs some room in there to get that air flowing.

Edited on by teknium_

teknium_

redd214

Oh yeah I knew it was bogus that's why I said uh oh as in the fake leaks are already starting

redd214

JohnnyShoulder

So it's been announced then. I did see the news pop up earlier in my feed but I ignored thinking it was another rumour article. Thought this section would be chocka. What is everyones thoughts. Sounds like it could be pricey.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WebHead

It also matches up with what the reddit guy said, who correctly said no spoy at e3 amd anthem being a mess. He said small tease mid 2019 thena full reveal later in 2019

WebHead

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder I'm hyped, but this news really caught me by surprise.

I'm happy they did it, though. It's a smart way of controlling the messaging, instead of having it all leak drip by drip.

Also really good to have PS come out first - versus the last two generations. It's cool to Sony be confident like this.

Kidfried

WebHead

PS4 BC confirmed means Sony can likely get away with $499. Most year one adopters are fans/enthusiasts and people will certainly be trading in their PS4s towards PS5.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

JohnnyShoulder

I'm less inclined to buy Ghosts, The Last Of Us 2 and Death Stranding now as I might as well play the shinier ps5 versions now.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

Digital Foundry's discussion of the 'specs' and news - inc their thoughts on Back Compatibility and Ray Tracing...

Its a great discussion and well worth a watch - just need to have around 45mins to listen to it

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JJ2

@BAMozzy
People (and some sites) downplay what they actually announced but DF are right. It's a big deal to have basically the best we could hope for (Zen 2, Navi, SSD etc)
Now of course it's not going into specifics but it's great news.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

BAMozzy

@JJ2 Its worth a Watch - if only to have some perspective and discussion on the things that were mentioned as well as tempering expectations.

Its not necessarily discussing the hardware because some of it is unknown - especially clock speeds, RAM and even Navi is unknown. Ray tracing is something DF have 'some' experience of with PC games and even how it affects cards that were not built with Ray Tracing in mind. Ray Tracing 'can' be implemented without a dedicated Ray Tracing segment - like the GTX2080 GPU has. Of course it can be quite 'expensive' to use with other cards as its taking away some of the resources (obviously) from other processes - so its affecting frame rate or meaning you have to drop other aspects down - like resolution - to get the frame rate back up.

There is also an interesting discussion on Backwards Compatibility too. Looking at the Xbox implementation and discussing whether or not the PS5 could be similar, talking about licencing - which may impact on whether or not it will be 'total' BC or Partial and the problems Mark Cerny encountered with the PS4 Pro and its 'compatibility' with the existing PS4 library - something that forced the 'butterfly' design of the PS4 Pro's GPU (ability to shut off half the GPU), keeping with the Jaguar CPU and even the reluctance to offer the 'boost' mode at launch - that also came with a warning that 'some' games may not run as intended warning.

Believe it or not, even the X shuts down some of its GPU when running non-enhanced Xbox titles. Point is, its not as simple as just building a much more powerful system and enabling old games to run on that. It has to be 'built' in, a way to 'limit' some of the specs (shut off some of the GPU, change something in the CPU) so the 'old' games work and 'new games' use the 'full specs'. PC's can get around the problems because they can search for new drivers and the fact that games are made for a wide range of hardware.

Its always 'great' news to hear that a new and much higher spec Console is just around a corner. Its great news to hear that some of the details are what people hoped for - like SSD, BC etc but whether its to the degree that people want, ie 2TB+ SSD and Total BC with improvements to most/all PS4 games, BC with 'older' gen - Partial or even total and all this for under $400....

There is still a long way to go between this 'reveal' and Sony actually given us the full specs, the full information about every thing so that all questions are answered - whether that happens before launch or not. After all, not every aspect of the PS4 or Xbox were known and some things even changed after launch with MS dropping Kinect which freed up more resources and Sony too freed up a CPU core too in the first 6months or so. From the E3 Reveal to Launch, MS boosted the CPU clock speed from 1.6Ghz (like the PS4) to 1.75Ghz. From the E3 reveal, MS backed down on Virtual Reality with the X - maybe because that would mean the X had unique software that the base models couldn't run but it was still announced at the reveal. People hear Backwards Compatibility and expect 'total' and with enhancements yet the Xbox is regarded as BC with only a quarter of the previous gen games available as BC and few have X enhancements. The base doesn't always perform better than the 360 did either.

In other words, its not ideal to have 'little' information as we have had and then have 'greater' expectations than is realistically possible for the price point and legalities (such as gaming licences) allow. Maybe some aspects will live up to and even exceed expectation but others may end up 'disappointing' too because of higher expectation. Its why this video is great because it discusses things in a rational way which may temper expectation - at least until the actual reality is revealed.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Zukato

Given the news about PSVR specifically being supported on PS5 and the focus on VR going forward, it's kind of difficult to decide what to do here. Should one buy it now or wait for the new version (PSVR2) that's better on the high-end? I guess it's smarter to wait regardless of the choice considering the inevitable price drop. At the same time, when the new one comes around, surely they would make exclusive titles to that one alone.

Edited on by Zukato

Faithful to Jesus.

PSN: ZukaHoly | Twitter:

WanderingBullet

@29:43 That water animation doesn't look right as the protagonist in Death Stranding was walking through it.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JJ2

@BAMozzy
I didn't feel they were trying to temper expectation. On the opposite they seem very excited with the great news (keep saying it's awesome) while they were a bit worried before like the cpu the mentioned. SSD was a big surprise they clearly say it's surprised everyone.
The only bit of reservation was about Ray Tracing but I do think the host guy (forgot the names) reasonably suggests its not just a software thing.(because what's the point of announcing it then?)
Also even most ps4 games might play better due to SSD even without patch, wouldn't they?

Yea I mean I don't see a problem with 2 versions of DStranding being cross gen either.
As long as the PS4 version works on the PS5 that's fine

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic