Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 3,301 to 3,320 of 4,712

colonelkilgore

@Voltan yeah F.IS.T. and Tales of Arise have taken my fancy too...Still, I do hope you click with Demons Souls, the PS3 version is one of my all-time faves.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@Th3solution I don't think I played a Tales game either. Will definitely check out the demo before buying (if it's still available). I enjoyed the Scarlet Nexus demo so I got it when it was on sale on PSN (I think it's on sale again now) but haven't got around to playing it yet.

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

@velio84 @Voltan I will probably pick up Deathloop after I've got and finished with Kena. I've seen a few impressions of the former which has piqued my interest in the game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Voltan Definitely curious to hear how you get along with Scarlet Nexus and potentially Tales of Arise. Some of my reluctance with Arise is the concern that I’d be coming in so late to the party, so to speak, in the Tales series. And I know that each entry is completely independent from the others like Final Fantasy and Persona, but I suspect that the combat, lore, terminology, magic systems, and style is all common across entries. Hopefully the game does a good job of training and giving entry level teaching about how things work.

I remember my first Persona game that it took me a while to learn the terms for all the elemental attacks and their upgraded versions. I mean, of course it would make too much sense to call something “Fire” instead of “Agi”, or “Fire+” instead of “Agilao”, or “Fire-All” instead of “Maragi”, etc, etc. It’s like learning a new language 😅. And elemental weakness exploitation is so key in that series that if you don’t use it, you’re toast. Fortunately, once you get all the terms down, all Persona games (and all SMT games I believe) follow the same basic system and jargon.

Final Fantasy’s system is a little easier to follow (“Blizzard”, “Aero”, “Thunder”, etc) and the terms make more sense, and are also less critical for success in combat typically.

And I know that one can pick up the basics of the Tales system probably pretty quickly, but you can’t help but feel a little behind when entering a series this late in the game after numerous prior entries.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@themcnoisy It sounds like you might have picked the game up already but I bought it day 1 and played it not long after with zero problems.

I hope you post in the thread for the game as it's a great one to hear how other people get on. Just embrace the weirdness!

Thrillho

JJ2

@velio84
Alan Wake?
I have no idea what to expect but heard about it for years. It’s cheap enough too
My next purchase 😛

(I’m hoping the PS5 version is decent with DualSense support etc)

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Voltan

Right, I wanna get Alan Wake too

Voltan

themcnoisy

@Thrillho thanks bro. Will get on it. Had a better time with Returnal last night, but I'm after a boss story and it looks perfect!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

render

Count me in for Alan Wake too. All of a sudden there’s loads of games I want to play. Almost good that Horizon has been delayed.

render

Voltan

I’m reading that in order to transfer your save from Death Stranding to Director’s Cut, you need to make a special delivery in the PS4 version.
Kojima is a madman lol

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan I love it when games do these fourth-wall breaking things like that. Like Kojima’s MGS games, Hellblade, Nier Automata, etc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

This wall probably make the front page in a minute but I thought I’d share it here anyway.

Following God of War being elected the best game ever in a series of IGN polls, Christopher Judge (the actor who played Kratos) revealed that his health problems were the main reason behind GoW Ragnarok being delayed, as he required multiple surgeries to be able to walk again. Apparently Sony Santa Monica put the project (or the performance capture part anyway) on hold to give him time to recover.
He also said he wanted to quit after learning that Cory Barlog wouldn’t be directing but Cory convinced him to trust Eric Williams.

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan oh wow… I know God of War 2018 was his first time as Kratos but I honestly would have been devastated if he wasn’t able to return for the sequel.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore He was voiced by Terrence C. Carson in all the previous games (including Kratos' guest appearances in Everydoby's Golf, Soulcalibur, Mortal Kombat etc).
The reason they changed actors was that GoW 2018 relied heavily on performance capture with multiple actors on the set and Carson just wasn't tall enough

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan yeah but it’s the voice for me. I’m not detracting from Judge’s motion capture performance nor Carson’s many turns as Kratos… but Judge’s vocal performance was a massive part of the change in perception of Kratos. Suddenly, he had so much pathos and deep-rooted emotion… it’s up there with Baker as Joel for me.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore I agree, the change definitely worked out for the performance even if the reason for it was something else.
Carson was still very good as the younger, angrier Kratos though!

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan @colonelkilgore Wow. Just goes to show that one never knows what’s going on behind the scenes. I bet everyone who was cranky about the delays feels really bad right now that the poor guy was laid up learning to walk again. We gamers are an impatient and demanding bunch, and sometimes can be a little unfair.

That said, is it really that essential to have the mo-cap done by the same actor who does the voice? I could see it being easier for the facial close up shots, but it seems like I’ve heard of plenty of times that a stand-in does the action scenes and body work. But I don’t know how all this works.

colonelkilgore

@Voltan @Th3solution just goes to show that Sony Santa Monica are pure class. Didn’t even try to deflect… they just ate the ****-sandwich rather than wheel out an excuse (albeit a legitimate one).

Also, sol… for my part (I studied film-making at uni) it is actually very important. The way a person moves, particularly when talking is very connected to their speech patterns and inflections and such. It really will be worth the wait for the total performance.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic