Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,521 to 4,540 of 4,717

BAMozzy

@KilloWertz @Grumblevolcano @Th3solution We don't know for sure that these games are in development at all and whilst I do expect Sony to continue making Single Player narrative driven cinematic style games, the only game officially revealed is Wolverine right now.

I also know that games are taking longer to make - the time between Infamous 2nd Son and GoT by Sucker Punch was 6yrs and Horizon had 5yrs between the first and its sequel. It also seems like Guerillas next project is a Horizon online game and if Factions was cancelled, I doubt we will see a 'new' ND Single Player for a good few years having spent time on Factions and LoU ports to PC.

As far as Multi-platform releases are concerned, I do have alternative choices on where to play as I have PC gaming hardware and a Series X too - so whilst there isn't likely to be a 'shortage' of something to play on my PS5, I don't feel like I am looking forward to playing anything 'specifically' on PS5.

In truth, there aren't enough 'gaming' hours to play EVERYTHING and finish every game I want to every year. Every year, my backlog grows and I still have a LOT of PS4/5 games to finish, let alone whatever 'new' games get added to that. Even if Sony don't release another game this gen that appeals, there is more than enough content to fill my gaming time easily. Its just that the vast majority of it I could play elsewhere and don't particularly feel that Sony in particular have an 'exciting' near future ahead that appeals to me. I am feeling somewhat disappointed right now with the 'immediate' future.

Even when MS had a terrible year in 2022, I still felt that they had a LOT of projects to come that appeal to me and even now, we still have a good idea of what many, not all studios have in development. Arguably you could say that Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed etc seem to be taking their time but I'd rather have that situation than be 'hoping' that Sony Studio's are making the type of games I expect based on their history all whilst hearing rumours of these studios making GaaS, Online MP games etc

All I am saying is that the recent Sony Shows have done 'nothing' to excite or fll me confidence that Sony in Particular are making the types of games that I fell in love with Sony for. I am sure they will have these games but right now, nothing officially has been revealed and I find it 'difficult' to be excited for the next few years for 'Sony' when the vast majority of games I am excited for on PS5 are playable on PC/Xbox.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Grumblevolcano

I think it's a lose-lose situation as while Sony's silence has created lots of speculation about them ditching single player in favour of live service, the reason we know so much about XGS future is because most of the 1st party games Microsoft announced in 2019/2020 still haven't released yet.

Everwild - Announced November 2019, release TBA
Hellblade 2 - Announced December 2019, release 2024
Forza Motorsport - Announced July 2020, release October 10th 2023
Avowed - Announced July 2020, release 2024
State of Decay 3 - Announced July 2020, release TBA
Fable - Announced July 2020, release TBA
Perfect Dark - Announced December 2020, release TBA

While I dislike the approach with a few announcements like TotK and Prime 4 (those are very long gaps), I feel that Nintendo for the vast majority of the time in the Switch era has handled the timing between announcement and release for games extremely well.

Grumblevolcano

colonelkilgore

BAMozzy wrote:

Sony Shows have done 'nothing' to excite or fll me confidence that Sony in Particular are making the types of games that I fell in love with Sony for. I am sure they will have these games but right now, nothing officially has been revealed and I find it 'difficult' to be excited for the next few years for 'Sony' when the vast majority of games I am excited for on PS5 are playable on PC/Xbox.

So now you’re a fan of Sony’s first party interactive-movie, one-and-done walking-simulators… you can’t make this **** up 🤣… wait a minute, you just did 😉

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

BAMozzy

@Grumblevolcano I know that MS has announced 'numerous' games that are yet to materialised having been announced within the last 4yrs. But I also remember when Sony had Games at E3 for several years before they arrived and its been 2yrs since Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine were announced. Considering we are 3yrs in to this Gen and apart from Insomniac, we don't have any idea of what Sony devs can actually do with the PS5 hardware as 'most' were built with Last gen releases in mind. God of War: Ragnarok is a 'PS4' game that's been 'enhanced' by the extra resources available in the PS5 hardware. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I want to feel confident in the future of PS5.

Most of the games you mentioned from MS are UE5 games and were announced as UE5 games before UE5 was even released. Even before Forza was announced, it was known that Turn 10 were taking a break from the 'bi-annual' update to actually build a new Game Engine with Next Gen consoles firmly in mind. In fairness to most of those Studios too, they have released and/or continued to update their games - Rare with Sea of Thieves and its regular content drops, Obsidian with Grounded & Pentiment and Playground with Forza Horizon 5. State of Decay to State of Decay 2 took 5yrs too so I never expected them to turn around a much bigger game, built in UE5 which wasn't out in 2020 - but at least we know what these Studio's have planned to release, what they are actually working on and what we can look forward to in the 'near' future.

Games are taking 4yrs+ in general - even its a sequel with a lot of work/assets/animations/scripts etc etc you can carry forward. So I don't expect to hear about what Studios are working on immediately after they release a game - a year or two later - even if its still several years away. Even if most of those 7 Xbox games, as well as others they have revealed since - Clockwork Revolution (InXile) or South of Midnight (Compulsion) don't come out in the next 6-12months, They are still games to look forward to on Series X (or PC if you play there) coming from Microsoft owned Studios. It gets through 'lean' times (like 2022) knowing that the future is still looking 'solid' and for the next 'few' years at least.

I've already invested in BOTH premium Consoles but if I hadn't yet upgraded or was considering either, Yes Playstation has a LOT of great Legacy Exclusives in their back catalogue, but after Spider-Man 2, its looking somewhat uncertain of what's coming 'next', what exciting exclusive can I look forward to whilst delving into their great Library and 'multi-platform' games until that next big Sony game. On Series X, they too have a LOT of great Legacy exclusives but not so many IP's so seem even more limited than they already are, but after Starfield Comes Forza Motorsport and 2024 onwards looks quite solid too.

With the prices of PS+ going up significantly - already was more expensive than Gold and the direction that Sony themselves are at least 'projecting' to us, their Customer, I am not even sure I want to 'keep' that either for the 'few' Single Player games that require 'online' and/or few online game modes I may enjoy (although most of these are multi-platform). If that happens, then that also would likely to push me further away from gaming on my PS5 - even clearing some of my backlog as that would also mean I'm much less likely to purchase multi-platform games on PS5 and use it ONLY for offline Sony SP Exclusives. I'm not cancelling yet, I still have months left, I just don't know if it's worth considering renewing - because as far as Sony is telling me with their 'Silence' and with what they have Officially stated, I may as well just wait until they come to PC long term and give up PS5. I want to be excited by the upcoming year ahead, and it seems 'bleaker' than MS's 2022, but at least there was a lot of light at the end of that tunnel.

I know that there will still be Exclusive games from '3rd Party' devs to bulk out their own studio output - whether its timed or permanently blocked from releasing elsewhere (inc PC, Xbox, Nintendo, Epic, Steam etc) or just select hardware (Xbox), but Sony themselves aren't making me excited for the future and seem more intent on taking more money from me without providing a 'better' service and or reason to be excited for the future.

It may excite you/others etc but after however many years its been since I got my first Playstation back in the 90's, I know they've had tough times (PS3 launch and then subsequent server hack which forced me to change my GT), they've all had light at the end, something to look forward too...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

BAMozzy

@colonelkilgore I have never said I wasn't - I loved Killzone too - but Shadowfall wasn't the best, but Horizon:ZD was probably my favourite Sony game of the PS4 generation. I much prefer Uncharted to Last of Us and always enjoyed the R&C and Resistance games of Insomniac before they joined Sony.

I wasn't a fan of the Original God of War games, never enjoyed those, but Platinumed the reboot in 4/5 days, HZD in 6days btw and Infamous 2nd Son too in a week or so. I miss Motorstorm as well but I could go on and name lots of IP's that I enjoyed and I wouldn't call any of these 'Walking' simulators and I'd like to see these types of games to be made, the reason I bought Playstation through the years. I don't want online GaaS ONLY games designed to sell Cosmetics for the price of a complete game (in a sale maybe but still a whole game) to make as much money with the least effort...

colonelkilgore

@BAMozzy that’s the most succinct post you’ve ever typed, I feel that I’ve just popped a diamond cheevo getting you there… you’re keyboard is also incredibly relieved. Long may your new found brevity continue 👏

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@BAMozzy I understand your disappointment, but personally, I wouldn’t bet against Sony. Specifically in their ability to release high quality single player games. I do think their release schedule for them is going to slow, because of the weird obsession with live-service and the fact they are probably overreacting to the criticism of making too many of those SP cinematic games.

But yeah, my advice is don’t sell your PS5 just yet.

You should look into Final Fantasy while you’re waiting on the first party output. FF7 Remake and Rebirth are quite western feeling in a lot of ways and FF16 is very westernized

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ryall

It is a slightly strange situation that all the games currently announced by Sony‘s first party are coming from insomniac in the teams purchased after them. Nothing has been announced in relation to what old Sony is working on. By that I mean the teams that were part of first party before insomniac was purchased.

Ryall

AnVold

@Ryall yep, I wish to see a new Twisted Metal, Gravity Rush or Soul Sacrifice game someday.

GOIDA!
I hear ZOV.

PSN: animeshnick666

BAMozzy

@Th3solution I am not betting against Sony as their Studios and History would suggest it would be foolish to write them off. All I am saying is that I don't see anything (yet) in their future that makes me feel Confident that 'long' term, there is enough content to justify running two Consoles, two different Subscriptions to access at least 'Online' etc.

I won't sell my PS5, and it was 'never' about selling it. It was more about not bothering to 'renew' my PS+ Essential when that runs out which would seriously 'limit' the function of my PS5 and push me to play ALL multi-platform games elsewhere. That in turn would mean my PS5 is just for the Single Player, no online Sony Exclusives - because I am not paying for Online access when my Console isn't being turned on for months and months and months, maybe even a year or more between Sony Single Player Offline releases. If it gets to that point, it maybe better to buy on PC when they eventually release there and then why bother with PS5 Pro or PS6, maybe its time for me to leave PS Console gaming and 'wait' for the games on PC instead - especially as a LOT of 3rd Party 'exclusives' release on PC too.

I have never liked Final Fantasy and whilst they may have moved to a more 'action' based combat instead of take it in turns (which as a mechanic, I've never enjoyed at all), I just don't enjoy the 'world', the characters etc so its not just a more 'western' style of Game-play, it still has aspects I don't really enjoy. Each to their own of course.

As I tried to say, Sony have had many IP's that I enjoyed - some had 'online' too but they had a Single Player option too - Killzone, Motorstorm, Wipeout, Gran Turismo and even Uncharted & Last of Us came with an Online mode. I don't enjoy Halo, Forza or Gears 'online' but I'd still buy for the SP. Looking ahead at what Sony have themselves revealed and/or stated about their business model, with more investment in GaaS and a bigger presence on PC, It is making me 'concerned' about MY future on Playstation Console - not that I'd sell my PS5, I just may not choose to invest time and money on Playstation specifically - choosing to wait for the 1-2 Sony's exclusives that appeal to me to come to PC instead.

I know my position is coming from a somewhat privileged position - the option to play on Series X, on a Gaming PC (with 3080ti) or Handheld PC (RoG Ally with a 4090 external GPU if I want to 'dock' to a TV) so its really just the Playstation Exclusives that appeal that keep me on Playstation Hardware as I can play 'everything' else anyway.

So all I am saying is that at the moment, I am not seeing enough to excite me, not seeing enough that makes me want to keep paying for PS+ beyond (I think) July 2024 when it runs out, what 'reason' I have to be excited to turn my PS5 on. By July, the landscape could change completely and I'll be happy to renew PS+ and be looking forward to a handful of games coming in the near future but right now, once Spider-Man 2 releases, apart from Wolverine, which I doubt would release within a year of SM2, I don't see anything (yet) to make me feel more positive. I am certainly not saying I intend to sell up, I still have everything from my PS3 era onwards - inc my Day 60gb PS3 Phat (although with YLOD now ) and would still keep the PS5 for playing my PS4/5 offline Backlog so I could resume my PS+ and Console gaming IF/When the future looks brighter.

Since they revealed Wolverine over 2 years ago, I can't think of any Single Player games announced. ND were supposedly working on Factions, Guerilla on a Horizon 'online' game after Forbidden West and with games like Marathon, Fairgame$, Foamstars and Helldiver 2 reinforcing that GaaS Online future, its not reassuring 'me' that I want to 'keep' investing in gaming on Playstation Hardware in the future at the moment - but things can, and hopefully from my perspective, change!

Kidfried

Bend is making a new singleplayer open world IP, Bluepoint is making something new, Housemarque is doing a new IP, Santa Monica a new IP, Sucker Punch probably Tsushima 2. I mean, just because it hasn't been announced, doesn't mean there's nothing interesting coming up.

The main reason why Showcase was so disappointing to many was because we heard nothing from these single player game studios. It's not like Sucker Punch is going to make a battle royale.

Kidfried

colonelkilgore

@Kidfried aye, some people would have you believe that Sony are happy for all their first party studios (some of whom have doubled in size the last few years) to be sat twiddling their thumbs just because announcements haven’t been made yet. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a first party roadmap for the next few years… but I remember Sony copping a lot of flack back in the early PS4 era for announcements made well in advance. There is no way to please all of the people all of the time.

**** DLC!

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore At this point there's no reason why they can't give one to some extent though. There's a difference between announcing things too early and not announcing much of anything at all. As I've said already, there's no way some of these developers have nothing to show by now as they obviously haven't been sitting there twiddling their thumbs for years.

They've gone to the absolute other extreme. Obviously the developers are working on something, but to have one single player game announced that is likely not coming until 2025 after Spider-Man 2 releases, it should be perfectly understandable that people continue to get frustrated by Sony so far this generation.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

colonelkilgore

@KilloWertz I’m with you, I was extremely disappointed following the last showcase lack of any first party single player announcements… openly so. As I said though, it beggars belief that Sony are paying all those well paid employees… essentially the engine room that propels PlayStation, to sit there doing **** all.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@BAMozzy Yeah, perhaps letting your PS+ lapse in July would be the first thing to do, especially if online play isn’t your cup o’ tea. I was being facetious about the advice to not sell your PS5, I know you’re weren’t saying you’re thinking of doing that. 😄 Just making the point that the future is still bright.

And fair enough on the Final Fantasy. I think S-E developed FF16 with gamers like you in mind, but I think they underestimated the deep-rooted feelings about the world and characters. It’s probably the same thing for me with Zelda and Mario. No matter how awesome I’m told the new Nintendo games are, I have this immovable prejudice in my mind based on prior experience and just can’t manufacture much interest. I know I’d like them if I tried them, but I dunno. Same with COD, Fortnite, GTA, and a lot of other popular acclaimed properties I actively avoid. So I understand.

But I do try to expand my horizons as much as I can. Playing Humanity right now and I’d usually not have considered it, but now that I’m playing it I really like it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Kidfried Putting it all together like that with the 5-6 core studios that make AAA single player content, I realized they all released games within the final year of PS4 and first year of PS5. Bend is probably the only one without any output for a while. Next would probably be ND if you don’t count the Part I remake. Of course we know they were spending resources on Factions this whole time and probably set them back a couple years in the cycle.

But BluePoint, Housemarque, Guerrilla, Santa Monica all had releases in the first year or two of the PS5. Sucker Punch released the Iki Island and the PS5 version of GoT, which is a much smaller project, so I wouldn’t be surprised if GoT2 is pretty far along.

Edited on by Th3solution

BAMozzy

@KilloWertz That is my point. Even if they are choosing not to reveal things too soon and/or risk backlash from any potential delays too, then it still seems like they have nothing of their own in the 'near' future - as in the next 6-12 months - to release.

If you have a lot to release in the next year, I can understand not revealing projects beyond that as you have a lot to keep gamers positive for the immediate future and once they release, have the 'next' batch. However if you don't have a lot in the next year, then maybe its worth revealing projects a bit further away.

I appreciate that sometimes it can get frustrating waiting 'years' for updates and a release, but if you haven't got something coming up sooner, is that better than not knowing what they have in development and what seems like nothing coming 'soon'. Surprise announcements/reveals of course could still come and change that landscape.

All I am saying is that I would rather have 4 or 5 games I'm looking forward to regardless of whether they are expected in the next year or 3yrs+ than only have 1 game that doesn't seem to be releasing soon because they haven't got another 2 or 3 games coming in the next 'year' and therefore choose not to reveal. I'd love to see 4-5 games releasing every year and so they always have 4-5 games to look forward to and not wait 'years' for them, but I'd also rather know they have 4-5 games coming - even if they are years away than not know if they have any games coming. As I keep saying, Sony has a LOT of great IP's and Studios so I am 'optimistic' but until they officially reveal their plans, I have numerous concerns which have only been reinforced - not reduced by Sony.

I don't expect ND or Guerilla to make 'online' only games - even though they have both built Online modes before. So hearing that both were making 'online' games, like Arkane making Redfall or Bethesda making Fallout 76, are they being 'pushed' by Sony to capitalise on GaaS? They may have well paid employees all working on exclusives for Sony, but are they being 'pushed' into the GaaS model away from the one & done Narrative SP games as these can be more profitable? They own the Studios so will have the final say on what projects they choose to greenlight.

As we know, they chose not to Greenlight a sequel to Day's Gone and rumours say they cancelled Factions after 'years' of work. If Factions is 'cancelled', then that's a bunch of staff that's been developing 'something' for years that is now not coming and not 'working' on Games we as consumers would get to play. Hearing these things too doesn't help fill me with confidence.

I can't help feeling that Playstation is at its 'lowest' point for me in many years. Perhaps even lower than when the PS3 Online was hacked and was 'offline' for weeks preventing me from playing 'many' of the games I was playing and/or looking forward to playing, but still had more light at the end of the tunnel and things to look forward to. As I keep saying, things can change too and by the time my PS+ is coming up for renewal, the road map ahead is much more exciting for me but right now, I am questioning whether or not I will spend any time on my PS5 in the next year or so and/or whether I should buy any PS5 games with 'online' modes if I may not bother renewing PS+. Even if they don't have much in 2024, just seeing 3-5 games that I want to play being developed would help. It helped with Xbox despite 2022 looking 'bleak' and then got worse with delays - knowing that they were at least working on projects that appeal, that 'eventually' I'd get to play the types of Games I enjoy so can make do for now with 3rd Party and my backlog knowing that the Games will come.

I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't have those type of games in development - it just doesn't seem right to me after all these years. Maybe in a years time, I'll be at the other end of the spectrum and raving about all the 'exclusives' Sony has in their future that I'm excited and eager to play - such is the dynamic nature of this industry but at this point in time, Sony themselves haven't shown me enough to make me excited and that I will want to keep paying out for PS+ as I'll be spending a LOT of time/money on Playstation 5.

BAMozzy

@Th3solution I'm sure the future will be bright but right now, that is based on history and not on any concrete evidence. As for expanding my horizons so to speak, I have Game Pass Ultimate so have access to MANY games I would never have bought at any price and can try at no extra cost and no obligation to ever spend money on. Therefore I see little reason to 'risk' spending money on Games that don't appeal when I can play games that 'do' for a lot less, if not 'free' on a sub service. I also don't see the point on buying a game to 'try' because its more 'westernised' or that 'Turn based Combat' isn't that bad and its Story is worth it (Midnight Son's, Baldurs Gate) when they appeal even less than games in my backlog I'd rather play, let alone 'free' games in Sub services I'd rather play/try before even considering spending 'money' on something.

All games are competing for my 'time' first and foremost - some may have a large pay wall to access, others maybe in my backlog or 'free' on a service so no cost. Therefore Games must appeal more than what I already have access to if I am going to spend money upfront to play them and if I'd rather play some old game in my backlog (or on a Sub service) than Final Fantasy, Helldivers, Marathon, Foamstars, FairGame$, Forspoken, BG3 or whatever else is releasing, then I'm not going to spend money to 'try' them. Its not as if I don't have access to hundreds of games that appeal more in my backlog that may not be a visually impressive or 'new' but they are not exactly things to look forward to, to be excited for etc...

Ryall

@BAMozzy I don’t see any point in staying subscribed to a subscription service if I don’t want to play anything on it immediately. You can join the things as frictionlessly as buying a game.

Knowing a game that I would want to play is in development and will be on the service day one won’t change that to decision.

Given the amount of games to my taste at the moment, I doubt I’m going to be in the situation of randomly trying games. I’m unsure of on spec for awhile. If I did want to try a large number of games. A subscription service would certainly be the way to go about it.

Ryall

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic