Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 3,021 to 3,040 of 4,712

LieutenantFatman

@JohnnyShoulder
Thanks matey. I'm more focused on getting the right TV to be honest, I don't want to go budget and get one that cuts corners.

LieutenantFatman

TraCuz-

@LieutenantFatman I got an LG Nano85 49" to accompany my PS5 and don't regret it one bit. It does 4k/120hz and has HDR which is nice for a mid tier TV.

Drawbacks:
-Blacks aren't as deep as I'd like them to be, with it sometimes having that greyish look. Bothered me a lot more when I first got the tv but 8 months later I honestly don't think about it much.

-I play a lot of FPS games(Apex, Warzone, Battlefield, DOOM Eternal, etc.) so having low input lag is important to me and I'm pleased to report that it plays like a dream, when in "Game mode". The reason this is a "drawback" is that it's removes a lot of the post-processing that makes the image pop with color. So when playing Single Player games I have the TV in Vivid or Standard mode to retain that popping color, when playing multiplayer I switch over to Game mode.

Other than these things I love the TV, the only upgrade from this TV to me is an OLED. Which I'm unable to fork over $1500 for lol. Hope this helps friend.

Tagging you since you're looking for one too, @Voltan

Edited on by TraCuz-

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

RogerRoger

@LieutenantFatman Welcome to the PS5 family, buddy!

Since I'm only ever plugging Sony games consoles into my tellybox, I figured all the labels might as well match, so I got a 49" Bravia XH91 late last year (basically because it was one of the few remaining models with component cable input for my PS2).

As with all supposedly-smart televisions, it tries to tell you what's best and then presents you with the visual equivalent of garbage, but ten minutes of wrestling with the settings and deactivating anything which uses the word "dynamic" should give you a picture you're consistently comfortable with. It isn't quite as bright as I'd like, even with everything turned up to maximum, but that's entirely a personal preference thing. The best thing I can think to say is that, when I transfer my screencaps from my PS5 to my PC for upload, they look as good as they did when I captured them.

I'm not a hugely technical gamer, so can't really speak about input lag or anything, but I'd be happy to test anything out for you if you've got any specific questions.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Voltan

@TraCuz- Fun fact: I don't get a notification if you tag me while editing the post
Thanks anyway! I'm currently thinking I might save for an OLED but they are mad expensive. Also, I never really cared about the 120 fps thing until the 40 fps update for Ratchet made me realise it also has that application (it's hard to tell if any other devs will be using it though).

Voltan

TheIdleCritic

I wasn't sure where to ask this - Would you recommend WRC 9 (with the PS5 upgrade) as a good purchase to enter the franchise, or to wait until 10? I've read the PushSquare review but never go off just one person's opinion!

Jimmer-jammer

@LieutenantFatman @Voltan I bought an LG OLED65E7 a couple years back and it is without a doubt the best tv purchase I’ve made. I was a plasma guy, as I prefer the richer blacks, and it’s a brilliant evolution of that style of picture. LG also offers the Technicolor Expert update that you can install and it’s stunning. If you’re in the market, and have the cash, I really have no complaints at all with the OLED. I don’t find it dark, though it’s admittedly not as bright as some lcd’s and Qleds but the trade-off of inky blacks just adds so much more depth to the picture to my eyes. If you ever get one, just make sure to disable TruMotion! (Well, I can’t stand the effect but each to their own 😊)

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer Oh I hate those “smoothing” effects too. I suppose they might be good for sports, which I never watch

Voltan

Th3solution

@LieutenantFatman @Voltan Since there have been representation from the LG and Sony TV crowd, I’ll plug Samsung. The QLED TVs are good gaming TVs with reasonable price points. I’ve been very happy with the Q60. It has VRR but not 120 hz. The HDR is not as full as OLED and some of the other TV’s but I like it quite a lot. It should hold me over until 8K.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Voltan AFAIK the whole indies thing doesn't really apply to the ''big'' indie games. Just the lesser well-known stuff, which also includes a bunch of shovelware.

Octane

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan yeah, I cannot wrap my head around why so many tv’s ship with this mode (I think what it’s called varies from brand to brand) enabled by default. Few things in this realm bother me to the point of actually upsetting me, this is one of them. It’s just...wrong.

@Th3solution Qled’s are brilliant. I was very much debating which way to go when I bought our OLED but had to choose. Ultimately I got a floor model, bought at half price, which tipped the scales (though that’s a whole other story that actually worked to our benefit). I’m still open to trying one out for our next tv but after having no buyers remorse with the OLED, I’m really not sure what way I’ll go.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Octane Yes, I realize that. But I also think many people will not go into the finer details and a feature like this is designed to make PlayStation look friendly to smaller developers.
I’m cool with this btw

Voltan

Ryall

@Voltan Some games don’t appear on the store unless you search for them. The only game I’m aware of with a native PS5 version that doesn’t appear on the full list of PS5 games is Cross Code. It will only come up if you search for it manually.

@Octane mentioned lesser well-known stuff and whilst it’s definitely not AAA. This is something that was covered on Push Square, was part of game pass, I also know it’s excellent because I got the platinum on PS4.

If something that had never been covered or reviewed was missing I would probably never know.

Whilst it’s unreasonable to expect smaller games to be featured it does seem like everything should be on the full list of games.

Ryall

Octane

@Ryall Sounds more like a bug than a deliberate thing TBH!

Octane

Voltan

Ghostwire Tokyo officially delayed to early 2022

Voltan

Kidfried

Voltan wrote:

Ghostwire Tokyo officially delayed to early 2022

As expected!

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Was that supposed to be a “launch window” game? 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic