Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 2,721 to 2,740 of 4,717

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I sure can (pun semi-intended), although I should warn you that my experience with them is quite limited thusfar. I didn't use them to play Astro's Playroom, and took them off after the first couple hours of Spider-Man Remastered. The only time I've kept them on through an entire game is Miles Morales, and so that's the only real example I can talk about with any authority. Other games will implement 3D Audio in different ways, and quality will invariably vary.

As a straight-up pair of headphones, though, they're pretty good. The sound quality is solid and they provide a good range, and they feel premium, which is always a nice bonus. Like the PS4's Platinum headset, they're one-size-fits-all with a soft rubber band to provide tension across the top of your head, but it's much more flexible and forgiving this time around (whereas I can only wear my Platinum for between 90 minutes and two hours before the vice-like pressure gives me a headache). They require a USB dongle to connect to your PS5, as well, which means one of your console's ports will be forever occupied. I plugged mine in at the back, and I've had zero drop-out (and the wireless range is excellent; I perched Miles on a rooftop whilst I went and made a cup of tea in my kitchen, three rooms over, and it was only when he started humming to me that I realised I'd left my headset on). Battery life felt pretty standard for Sony, as fifteen hours of play required the rough equivalent of two full charges.

I haven't tried to connect them to any other devices, so I don't know how useful they'll be away from a PS5, and I haven't used them to chat in a party, nor have I pushed all of the available buttons on the side of the left ear, so there might be some features I'm missing.

When I heard the 3D Audio's party trick (in a quiet environment with a single sound source) I was very impressed but, during busy combat or cinematic cutscenes, stuff just sounded good. People saying that you can immediately detect a cough in a crowd and ascertain its relative elevation and distance might've been playing a tech demo, if I'm honest; again, this'll vary from game to game. I can imagine something other than a superhero brawler, something with tension and atmosphere like Resident Evil, using it very effectively. I'll be playing Hitman III with it next week, so if it holds any further revelations on this point, I'll give you an update.

Otherwise, if you've got any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks, that’s helpful. I currently use a set of standard corded general use headphones. I don’t particularly like being attached to the controller with a cord, but I also like the flexibility of having some nice headphones that I can use on other devices. And not having to recharge yet another battery powered device is a plus. Nevertheless, my current headphones are used 90% of the time for my gaming and if I’m going to replace them, I definitely want to take advantage of the 3D audio of the PS5.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TraCuz-

@RogerRoger @Th3solution I agree with everything he said regarding the Pulse3D, I'm personally very happy with my purchase and I don't think there's a better gaming headset for $100. Lemme put it this way I sometimes have to turn them down just because how rich the sound profiles are sometimes. I haven't experienced too much use of 3d audio besides the UI music at home screen or in Astro's Playroom. The first day I got the PS5 I was at the home screen with my headset on and I promise it sounded like it was coming from the tv, tripped me out. Same thing with Astro in GPU Jungle, I swear there were monkeys swinging around my room.

I also have a little bit to add regarding chat. Ever since I owned the PlayStation Gold headset a few years ago I just absolutely can't go without the feature to control game and chat audio. I frequently play multiplayer games and/or talking in party chat, and sometimes peoples' mics are louder than my game or vice versa. So having the ability to lower chat audio and increase game audio is huge to me, and also having the ability to plug the headset in through aux if the battery dies. The newest feature that wasn't a part of the PlayStation Platinum headset is the ability to monitor you mic input, so that's cool to be able to hear your audio to see if your background noise is too loud, for example an air conditioner or something.

Edited on by TraCuz-

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Voltan

I was considering getting the headset but I plugged my Beyerdynamics into the controller and they sound great so I decided I didn't need it. I'd probably decide otherwise if I was using the party chat ever.

Voltan

andreoni79

Five months later its release, it's still impossible to buy a PS5, but I'm glad I can at least watch old movies on my PS4... Demon's Souls can wait!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Thrillho

@andreoni79 Hopefully things are going to be getting easier; the stock alert twitter account I was using said they reckon one retailer (Argos) might be getting 20k to 40k in stock which is huge compared to previously.

Whether that's more availability or a big drop after the old Suez canal incident I don't know. Hopefully there's similar in Italy!

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Abarth_71 Those sound nice — $150 isn’t too bad, although the Sony ones are $100. I might have to go to Best Buy and see if I can try them out (and try not to catch COVID from them in the process 😬)

@TraCuz- That’s good feedback. I rarely if ever need the online chat functionality (but it’s nice to have on the rare instance when I might) so I’m mostly interested in the audio quality and 3D implementation and also comfort and durability. I do like that you can plug it in wired if the battery is low. That’s a good perk.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

I think I've already said so somewhere here on the forums, but the Pulse headset is the best headset I have ever tried in its price range.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Oh, I must have missed that and I appreciate your chiming in as well as I analyze the options. Looks more and more like the Pulse 3D might be the direction I should lean, for the value.

Regarding the ability to optionally plug the Pulse into an wired aux if battery is low, does that mean you can also use the cord to plug them into a phone or computer aux jack and have them function like traditional headphones on the go? Just wondering about the versatility of use beyond just gaming ( @RogerRoger @TraCuz- )

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

@Th3solution I have the USB plugged in my laptop all the time actually. I use them for work from home meetings and also zoom calls with friends and family. (I use the cord for the controller actually.)

I had a separate headphone for audio and such, but I pretty much don't use it anymore, only on the train (because that headphone supports Bluetooth, which the Pulse doesn't)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

TraCuz-

@Th3solution Yessir you can absolutely plug it into anything with a 3.5mm jack. Phone, computer. tablet, whatever. Also regarding what you said about comfort; I would put it at a high mid tier. It is by no means bad far from it, but they could be better. But adding that additional comfort would probably add an additional $30-$50 which takes away from that $99 appeal. Overall I can say they hold up for long gaming sessions in the comfort department. But the battery.. I do find that it feels I have to charge often, but it's not a big issue for me personally since I have a long usb-c cable. I haven't had any durability issues but the plastic frame does concern me, so far though it's been fine since November.

A small thing to add, a lot of my friends have moved on to pc and use discord chatting. So it leaves me in a position where I'm playing my game using my phone to chat. A nifty feature Xbox's new headset has is to be able to be connected to two audio sources. So I could have my game and discord in the same headset. I wouldn't mind if Sony took some notes.

Edited on by TraCuz-

Currently Playing:

TraCuz-

@Kidfried Haven't seen you in a while, how are you friend?

Currently Playing:

HallowMoonshadow

Seems I missed a fair bit in the past three weeks of being off Push Square @Th3solution... Congrats on finally getting yourself a PS5! Hope you're having a great experience with it Sol!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@TraCuz- Sounds like it will be a good fit for me. I’ve never had the thought pop up that I needed my headset to link to two sources, but I can see how it would help your situation. The comfort and durability sound on par with my expectations. I do want to try them out at the store though, so hopefully I can demo how they feel on my noggin.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hey Foxy! Good to see you back! Hopefully you have been doing well. Yes, I have been enjoying my PS5 immensely. In fact, I still use my PS4 but have gradually found myself finding an excuse not to use it. Yesterday I actually got onto my PS4 for the first time in over a week and it felt so sluggish. Just moving around the XMB and pulling up the store and apps seemed noticeably slow. So much so that I thought maybe my PS4 was malfunctioning. But no, it’s just the normal PS4... I’m just accustomed now to the zippiness of the PS5. 😅 (Incoming “I told you so” coming from @JohnnyShoulder in 3,2,1...) 😜

I’ll likely gradually transition to playing my PS4 games on the PS5.

By the way FGS, I finally finished Persona 5!! I hope you’re proud of me. 😄 I left a few impressions over on the dedicated P5 thread.

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution It is also very confusing going back to PS4 with the different application of the PS button on PS5. I'm used to clicking it to bring up the menu, but on PS4 you have to hold it down. Dunno why they changed it, it makes a bit frustrating when you are going back forth between the two consoles.

PS Yes, I do belive I did. I should probably add that to my signature.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Voltan Oh man, Hard Drive are like The Onion for video games. Some truly bonkers articles on there.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ryall

The PS5 has been tested and you can still play physical games even if the battery is taken out and there is no Internet connection.

Ryall

Voltan

@Ryall Cool. Another thing that was already reported* as a fact turns out to be not true. Internet these days.

*by reported I mean retweeted a million times

Voltan

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Apologies, I was away from my computer for a bit back there, and so couldn't jump in to answer your additional questions. Although reading subsequent replies from other helpful folks, it looks as though you might've already found...

Untitled

...th3 solution.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic