Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 2,381 to 2,400 of 4,712

Jaz007

@redd214 What advice would you give someone to that wants to keep on a lookout for a PS5? I have a friend who wants to get one, but doesn't know how. Since you've gotten so many, I'm curious as to what your routine is?

Jaz007

redd214

@Jaz007

-Twitter. Follow Site Supply, Wario64, GYX Deals, Jake Randall YT (guy is a bit goofy but he has a YouTube channel that has some helpful tips nonetheless). Turn on notifications, will be slightly annoying as most things they post won't be applicable but you only have to be right once! If you have a backup or spare phone that you can use it's perfect for something like this.

-Have payment/shipping/PayPal etc info saved ahead of time on all major retailer sites (especially PS Direct as you can't input your info when a virtual queue starts and you don't want to waste even a second).

-Download retailer apps as the tend to be more efficient for purchase but don't rely on notifications from them as the tend to come late. Have also heard the for best buy and Target Apple Pay is best but we're an Android family so can't confirm that.

-Be familiar with the sites and apps beforehand as in where the checkout buttons are, where to input info etc. Actually practice, every second counts.

-For Target if you're in the US download the "my store" app as you can view stock for items as they come in and get info of which store will have stock before the info even hits the website.

-Make sure your bank doesn't flag purchases from certain retailers. One of my debit cards is tied to my PayPal account and it rejected and auto canceled a couple of purchases that were deemed "suspicious"

-Be prepared and face reality that you may have to buy a bundle with things you don't necessarily need or want. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

BONUS: Be a light sleeper whose easily woken up by the sound of a phone vibrating

Sorry for the essay, hope it's clear and helps!

redd214

redd214

@Jaz007 You're very welcome, best of luck to your friend!!

redd214

nessisonett

I love The Onion

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

So I had an interesting interchange with a stranger at a retailer. I was browsing the PlayStation game section and another guy was there casually looking over the PS5 games. He struck up a conversation with me (yeah, he was one of those kinds of people 😄) and basically exasperatedly told me he doesn’t really even like his PS5. He said he’s had one from day 1, has had to have it replaced once already became of a technical problem (“They’re starting to have problems with these things...”) He said he likes the PS4 better and then, pointing to the shelf filled with PS5 copies of Demon’s Souls, AC Valhalla, Miles Morales, and Immortals Fenyx Rising, etc. and said that “there was no good PS5 games anyways”. He said he recently got on PS Now and found he preferred playing older games. He also complained about the large size of the console and how much room it takes up. My general assessment by his demeanor was that he was a fairly indifferent and passionless gamer in general.

I mostly nodded my head and said a lot of “Uh Huh...” but chose not to divulge my rabid fanboyism and share any of my personal opinions.

But the thought has definitely come to me that the two PS5’s he’s owned seem to be completely wasted on him. He’s not buying any games, he doesn’t even like the system. It’s just a shame because I’m pretty sure I’d be relishing my ownership of one if I could find it.

Believe me, I’m not trying to come on here and whine about my first world problems again with finding PS5 stock. That is not my intent. It’s more of a humorous irony that struck me. I come here and read the glowing praise for the system and it’s games, but I forget that, like Sammy says, we Push Square regulars exist in our bubble, and the vast majority of these consoles out there are in homes where they are likely not being used nearly as passionately as we would. I guess that’s fine, it’s not like we can pre-screen people who buy one and ensure they are devoted to supporting it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

MaulTsir

@Th3solution I've noticed a lot of ps5 owners seem to be either unhappy or underwhelmed by either the lack of games which is what should be expected the console is only 4 months old or the fact that the games they still play can be played on the ps4 which yeah I totally understand but all I can say is I've played 5 games now that are ps4 games on my ps5 and I can tell you that I've enjoyed them immensely, I will point out I had a year 1 ps4 so admittedly I'm not upgrading from a pro to a 5 so can't compare that but a 4 to a 5 is way better, the speed of everything alone is a seller to me but everything feels so much smoother, the UI moves faster, games load quicker if you watch Netflix and such on there it's so fast to load up well worth it.

Fan Boy in case you couldn't tell 🤣 lol

MaulTsir

colonelkilgore

@MaulTsir people just love to complain these days. Been buying consoles since the Megadrive and no matter how many times you try to explain to idiots that this is how new generations start, they just stick their fingers in their ears and repeat the word 'la'!

And to top it all, this new console generation started during a global pandemic. I would've boxed his ears and wedgied him over to the xbox section.

**** DLC!

Octane

@Th3solution The only PS5 game I've played so far is Astro lol! I think game sales will pick up once there's more to choose from. PS4 games are also incredibly cheap, and they have free upgrades which makes them look almost as good as PS5 games, so it wouldn't surprise me if more people played mostly PS4 games on the 5.

Octane

Th3solution

@Arugula The thought occurred to me after the fact, but it was too late.

@MaulTsir @colonelkilgore Yeah, and in the case of this gentleman he mentioned his kids playing games on it and, no offense to those with kids but a PS5 on a 4K HDR TV with 3D audio is probably all wasted on a 10 year old who would just as soon play Angry Birds or Among Us on their iPad. I don’t think the kids appreciate lightning fast load times, 60 fps, Ray tracing, and all the current gen tech.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah those kids probably enjoy tweeting about having played a PS5 more than actually playing it.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Lol, true.

And I don’t mean to disparage youth video gaming. I was certainly in that camp at one time. But I certainly wasn’t looking up Digital Foundry spec analyses and playing games that really pushed the system. Minecraft in 4K still looks horrible. 😅

nessisonett

I think I can sorta see why some people think there are no games - the cross-gen support makes it look like there are barely any ‘true’ next-gen games. Of course that will change as the months go on but I can see that point of view.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett what annoys me about the whole cross-gen argument is that people act like games were never cross-gen before. There have been cross-gen since 8-bit to 16-bit... it’s just the current zeitgeist (which is undoubtedly a spawn of social media) is to complain about everything.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Except the people complaining about it aren’t in any way related to the social media discussion about video games. So no, the casual players aren’t part of the current zeitgeist. If anything, the current trend is for ‘true gamers’ to complain about casuals diluting their hobby or to complain about people complaining.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic