Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 4,717

KirbyTheVampire

So, I came to the realization that the reason I didn't see the PS5s become available on the Walmart Canada page is because the person running the Canada Walmart gaming Twitter didn't specify that only the bundle with the extra controller would be available, and not the regular console that only comes with one controller. In other words, I was refreshing the wrong page.

Great job, Twitter guy. Great job. At least I know better for next time, I suppose.

KirbyTheVampire

Kidfried

@KirbyTheVampire Ah, that's unfortunate.

But also kind of sneaky how they try to sell an extra controller in the process. I've already seen retailers only selling PS5's if you buy a few extra games with them (or PS credit in the case of the digital edition).

I hope you'll get another chance at ordering a PS5 in the next few weeks. In my country there are still a few retailers that haven't started their pre-order, but will so on release day. Do you still have options left over in Canada?

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@KirbyTheVampire Both times i managed to get one i was just randomly checking the sites I had open. The one I got from Game was after midnight here in the UK so I thought the traffic would be quite low at that time. And it didn't crash once. Maybe they are putting more stock on sale suddenly to catch out the scalppers and their bots.

Just keep at it and I'm sure you will get one.

But I'm glad I don't have to bother with all that anymore as my friend got one too.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@Arugula I was so desperate at one point that I would have payed almost anything for some kind of assurance I would get the system before year's end.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I had next week off work, I really did think I would be spending the majority of it refreshing a load of tabs on my browser.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

I’ve definitively decided that nope, I’ll make do without a PS5 until at least next year. There just isn’t enough information or really tangible reasons for me to pre-order other than FOMO. I’ll wait and see what people say come January as there’s no chance in hell I could get one by Christmas anyway. I’m not sure whether to just get Cyberpunk on PC instead to be honest. I think I’ll wait for the cross gen games though, might as well get them on the best console. I’ve got a pretty big backlog anyway and Game Pass and PS Now will keep me busy too!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@nessisonett Very understandable. If I was in a situation that was only a little bit different, I would have waited as well. But for me the timing just is too perfect, and my PS4 is way too loud. :')

Kidfried

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder Haha, what a relief. For me it's the other way around, I have a week off the last week of November. Not going anywhere because of Covid, so a PS5 and a new game would be pretty nice.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I was going to do the same but my ps4 is on it's last legs.

@Kidfried Already had a week booked off starting Nov 19th for Cyberpunk 2077 so the PS5 release in Europe was perfect for me. #winning

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder That's nice. I haven't played Spider-Man yet, so I'm looking forward to playing the remaster. Am going to take a week off to play that one I think.

Kidfried

KirbyTheVampire

@Kidfried @Arugula Yeah, for real. It's irritating and kinda shady, but oh well. Always other opportunities, even if said opportunities are painfully limited.

@Kidfried No options that I'm aware of at the moment, unfortunately. I'm keeping a close eye out for any restocks, though.

@JohnnyShoulder So did Game advertise that they had consoles available when you grabbed one, or did it just randomly show up? I'll make sure to check retailers sites every so often, if the latter is the case.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

@Arugula Probably quite a few tbh. I personally wouldn't get a digital one because I'm one of those weird physical purists, but I know most people don't really care enough to do that. Otherwise, I would happily get some sort of bundle or whatever else.

KirbyTheVampire

JohnnyShoulder

@KirbyTheVampire Game sent me an email about stock being available the day before, but when I got one i was just randomly checking. I did make a point of checking just after midnight as I thought there would be less traffic. The same happened when I got one before but that was from a different site and at about 6 in the evening.

KirbyTheVampire

@JohnnyShoulder Ahh gotcha, tyty.

On another note, do you guys anticipate God of War 2 will be cross-gen? Cause if so, the PS5 is gonna feel a lot like the PS4 2.0.

KirbyTheVampire

Ryall

@KirbyTheVampire I’ll be surprised if the next God of War wasn’t on PS4. I remember when people asking whether they would be DLC for the PS4 God of War game. The developer said that they had started work on DLC. But it has expanded beyond the scope of DLC and would be a full game.

It’s possible they could of switch to targeting only the PS5 but given the other games that started on the PS4 appear to have stayed on the PS4 that seems unlikely. They would’ve taken the PS5 into account during development so the PS5 version is likely to be significantly better.

Edit: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/01/god_of_war_ps4_direct...
I’ve gone back to my original sources and it’s not clear whether the DLC idea was scrapped or became part of the next game.

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

nessisonett

It’s not that this PS5 launch lineup is bad, it’s that it’s rather unessential because of the crossgen games. I just don’t feel an overwhelming need to buy one, Demon’s Souls can wait until there’s more to grab me.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

@Ryall I don't think they ever started on that DLC. Because they said, it would be too ambitious. They're probably going straight into the second game.

Octane

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ryall It's probably a Breath of the Wild or Mario Galaxy 2 situation where the DLC became way too large in scope to just tack onto an existing game so they went the sequel route

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

BAMozzy

I don't have any issue with games being scaled down for Current Gen hardware at all. If people are happy to play scaled down versions, limited by the hardware, then that is up to them but I don't think Sony should necessarily keep the games purely for next gen just to make people buy a PS5. That is also limiting the sale potential of these games and, at the price that will maximise their potential to recuperate the cost.

It doesn't mean that people have little/no reason to upgrade just because they can play most of the same games on PS4. Chances are, games like God of War will be capped to 30fps so will miss out on the benefits of 60fps - not just a smoother looking game, but better input response too. Of course with Sony's new controller, you will probably get more haptic feedback too so it will feel 'better' to play - not just look better with graphical improvements beyond just a bump in resolution and much better loading times. That isn't just an improvement to one game, but an improvement to all new games you may want to play - even if they are on current gen.

I would rather play the game at the best frame rate and/or visual quality possible and a PS5 will offer that. There are numerous areas that could be enhanced on PS5 and have a more enjoyable, more immersive experience. I know Sony games tend to be 'ready', more polished at launch any way so I don't expect many exclusives to struggle to hold 30fps but I still find some aspects distracting - once you notice the 'LoD' line - a line where shadows, objects, textures etc jump up in quality, its hard not to notice and I expect the PS5 can really push out draw distances as it doesn't need to hold the whole block in RAM because, it can stream in just the immediate area.

I know not everyone can or will get a PS5 for a while and with 100m PS4 owners, that's a big pool of gamers that can buy these games at launch to recuperate costs. I also don't think that Sony shouldn't support them if they can. It makes just as much sense to me to offer a tangible upgrade over the user experience as an incentive to upgrade and no doubt, more and more games will not scale down well over time. Most games in the first year or two should be scalable as they would of started development with current hardware in mind and using the extra power for higher frame rates, higher visual quality (not just resolution) and less graphical compromises. If they can be scaled down, why not?

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic