Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 4,712

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula That is what tipped my decision over the edge, not being convinced my ps4 would last 6 months after the PS5 launches (my original plan). Hope you get your pre-order!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@nessisonett I don't know what enhancements will be coming to the Witcher 3 nor Cyberpunk but there is expectation Cyberpunk will add some ray traced effects. I don't really expect 'older' games to do something 'different' just because they are now on a new generation - other than load quicker. I expect the game to look visually better and maybe play at a higher frame rate. Use the extra resources in that way...

New games built from the ground up to take advantage of the hardware makes sense to have aspects that couldn't be down before. You can argue that increasing the particle quality is showcasing the increased physics capability of the new hardware, using High Res textures is possible because of the SSD throughput, RT effects because of the Hardware Acceleration etc but they are, in general, visual improvements and a lot more than just raising the resolution from 1080p to 4k and capping the frame rate at 60fps instead of 30fps.

There is a wide range of what seems to constitute as a 'remaster' - from simply porting the game and changing the output resolution to literally remaking the game from scratch to the same 'exact' layout so it offers the exact same game-play experience.There are numerous remasters that offer nothing more than an increased resolution.

Everyone of the older games that are being 'enhanced', upgraded etc for free has had developers spending time on the game so I know there is a 'cost' involved. Its just that some seem willing to do that for their customers who have already invested money into buying the game on the current hardware and others seem to want to make those customers pay again to get an upgraded version. From what I understand about Gears 5 for example, they took 2 weeks porting the game over, getting it up and running and changing all the settings to 'ultra' to see how it runs. If you own the game - either on disc or digitally, it will install the 'new' version to your SSD - they could put that new version on disc and sell it as a remaster but point is, they have spent time on getting it up and running, adding high res textures, 4k/60 cut scenes changed the lighting, increased particles 50% higher than PC's ultra setting, optimised the MP to tun at 120fps etc for free and it doesn't matter what Sony does, the fact that MS is doing that for free, as well as other companies offering Free upgrades more than just 'bumping resolution/frame rates', doesn't look good regardless of what 'work' Insomniac has done. It will still be a 4k/60 'upgrade' with other 'visual' improvements.

A lot of the conversation had been leading towards a generation that remasters would not be sold but 'free' for those that already owned the game. That can of course still lead to sales of the old game as newcomers may be tempted to buy. It would be a kick in the teeth to those that bought Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima for example if these were re-released as a remastered version instead of free upgrade too.

I don't think anyone really expects a remaster to be a significant change from the original - the game-play is expected to be the same experience with visual and maybe just performance upgrades - like Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Nathan Drake collection etc. You almost expect it from EA or Activision but Sony??

I did wonder as Sony certainly released a lot of remasters/remakes this gen and I did wonder whether they would be willing to give up that revenue source...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Jaz007

Well, I’m 6 hours into waiting for GameStop to open up for PS5 pre-orders. I've got 6 hours to go.

Jaz007

phil_j

Seen someone from Very say they'll drop another 10,000 units at somepoint from 11:30 onwards. So if you're still looking, get on Very.

phil_j

DonJorginho

Managed to bag PS5 #2

(Only keeping one so whichever doesn't come earliest am happy to give to someone on here who hasn't secured a PS5 Digital Edition)

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

JohnnyShoulder

@phil_j Hmmm, I've been on the Very website on and off all day, and just get the same old 'stock coming soon' message they've had all week.

The only uk site I've seen it in stock so far is Smyth, but the site keeps crashing.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kidfried

I've already seen Amazon.fr, Amazon.de and Amazon.es get restocks, but they were gone in seconds. I expect the same thing for most sites, really. So "checking every few hours" might not be enough, if they are expecting some more pre-orders.

@JohnnyShoulder I thought you had already scored one actually!

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I have, but I am checking for a friend who does not have access to the Internet as easily as me. Plus I wouldn't mind getting a disc version and maybe selling the one I have to a friend or family member.

KirbyTheVampire

I'm so confused. I sat there for a couple hours this morning, refreshing the Walmart Canada page for the PS5 every minute or two, and I just checked their Twitter, and apparently they sold out almost an hour ago? How did I not at least see that the pre-orders had opened? Do they really sell so quickly that they're all gone in literal seconds?

KirbyTheVampire

Jaz007

I waited over 12 hours, and have been up for over 24. I now have a PS5 pre-ordered.

Jaz007

JJ2

@Jaz007
You did it.
Nice. I was wondering because they seem to have very few in some stores. All is good then.đź‘Ť

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Those Metal Gear Solid trademarks are because Konami games have just been added to GOG. MGS1 and 2 are there along with the original Metal Gear and the Contra and Castlevania anniversary collections.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Ok there's what the ratings were referring too.

MGS is only like 11 bucks CAD too

However I still think the MGS HD Collection is probably the better deal imo. I vastly prefer MGS2 HD over Substance

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

JohnnyShoulder

@KirbyTheVampire Yep, you can thank scalpers and their bots for that.

@Jaz007 Well done. Hopefully it will be worth it.

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, MGS3 is still MIA on PC. These are just the original PC ports of course but still welcome, I expect to see Silent Hill 2 and 3 in the coming weeks as they also had Windows ports back in the day. That’ll please a lot of people as the PC port is compatible with the incredible fan remaster of SH2.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KirbyTheVampire

@JohnnyShoulder I didn't really expect that to be a problem tbh, seeing as they just gave a vague time of "Late in the morning EST", and no specific times. Shrug.

KirbyTheVampire

DonJorginho

Which one of Smyth's and Amazon do you reckon has the most chance of delivering day one?

DonJorginho

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho I say Amazon as I've never used Smyth's before but know they come recommended.

Got a disc version! From Game. I will probably cancel the digital version as I asked around and they want the standard disc version.

Nov 19th. PS5. Cyberpunk 2077. Demon Souls. Word the f up son.

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder just managed to get a digital edition from Game, might cancel Smyths as they use Hermes and I hate them with a passion.

DonJorginho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic