Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 4,712

RenanKJ

No worries about the cross-gen games, that is true for every generation. Consoles are computers, PS5 owners will get the best possible experience while PS4 owners will get a scaled down experience. Games won't be hold back by PS4 because (a) they're developed in a computer and scaled down to each platform anyway, and (b) PS4 was likely their original target since PS5's hardware specs probably took a long time to be locked and shared.

I'm more concerned about how PS4 games play on PS5. I wish Sony would show some games running and how PS5 natively boosts the experience (or not), since my "launch" titles will be my backlog of PS4 games and some recent games I didn't play yet such as Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

RenanKJ

PSN: rkummer

Jaz007

@BAMozzy You’re forgetting about levels being designed around an HHD instead of an SSD. It was all over God of War and it can’t be on PS4 agin if it wants to go last that limited level design with ten missions prices of rubble to duck under. Games can’t be scaled down if they are designed in the core for an SSD.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@Jaz007 Urghhhh, Final Fantasy 7 Remake without the forced walking and rubble movement might make the game almost tolerable enough to go back to.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BAMozzy

@Jaz007 Not in the slightest - I said IF they can be scaled down, then they should be. Games are not built overnight and who's to say God of War 2 is being built around the Level design that an SSD is necessary?

There are a LOT of big open worlds that don't rely on corridors or crawling through a gap to traverse between one zone and the next already so don't ALL rely on things like that to allow the next area to stream in. Games like R&C can 'work' on a PS4 too - if you don't mind being in those portals for 30secs instead of 2s - might affect the flow somewhat - and some games allow you to jump quickly from one point to another in the same area too so that could work.

What an SSD can do is enable you to zip through 'zones' much quicker - as Spider-Man demonstrates. An HDD needs a certain amount of time to pre-stream the next zone so the time it takes to get across a zone to the next has to be 'limited' and I can't see God of War allowing you to run from one area to the next blisteringly fast.

Don't get me wrong, I think give it a few years and the SSD will actually be a necessity...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Ryall

@nessisonett I suspect the two types of sections will respond differently to the SSD. Cloud should just keep running in the forced walking sections because the game adjust his movement speed based on the amount of data it needs to load. Rubble movement is never going to change because the animation will take a fixed amount of time regardless of how fast the game load is in the background.

Ryall

Kidfried

@BAMozzy Yea, great post there and fully agree.

Corey Barlog has already been pretty clear on his love for the SSD and the benefits for game design, so I can't imagine him not building the game with PS5 in mind.

If then that game is announced to for PS4, that doesn't mean the PS4 had to suffer.

Take for instance God of War 2018, whenever I would run too fast and the game couldn't keep up with my pace, the game would pause and I'd get a loading screen. They could just make a possible port for PS4 have more of these type of screens whenever the HDD is too slow. Or just lower the resolution or FPS for the game, so it can keep up.

I agree with you also that I expect we're going to see the benefit of those SSDs for all games (XSX has one also) in the very near future.

Sony as a publisher, and Guerrilla and Santa Monica as devs, they've never been known to hold a game's potential back. They didn't force Bend to rush out Days Gone, they moved TLG a complete gen so it could live up to its potential.

Kidfried

JJ2

So the DS gameplay we saw is actually the 60fps performance mode? 🤯
It blows my mind that it will look even better.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JohnnyShoulder

@TheFrenchiestFry I thought that was only for Final Fantasy? Everything after that was captured on PS5.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

STLamy

Thought I’d copy and paste my comment from the Spiderman PS5 debacle article to here where there is still some chatter about cross-gen games. Hope that’s alright!

I know it sounds like a lot of work has gone into it, but looking around at other releases and upgrades that are free, it really isn’t anything special! Some Xbox releases are getting substantial free upgrades, Cyberpunk and the Witcher will be getting them, many cross gen games are also getting upgrades very close in calibre to this.
I just think this is poor across the board from Sony. And when they announce the paid remasters for TLOU 2 etc, there will be uproar. The reason I’m assuming there’ll be paid upgrades is due to this Spiderman release. These upgrades are what we expect from games being patched for a next gen. Sonys set a precedent with this, if they don’t stay consistent more questions will be asked of this Spiderman release.

STLamy

LieutenantFatman

@STLamy
If by uproar you mean a few people moaning on Twitter, I think they will survive that well enough. It's really not that big of a deal.

LieutenantFatman

Kidfried

@STLamy I totally expect a free TLOU2 upgrade actually, just like a free GoT upgrade. They were released way closer to next-gen, so I expect the devs to already have had the dev kits in advance.

I won't be super disappointed though, if there is only a minor upgrade, but I do expect if for those games actually.

Kidfried

JJ2

@TheFrenchiestFry
Haha
Dont start this one. There is a new FUD bs story about PS5 every hour now 😄

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Kidfried They'd be incredibly stupid and tone deaf to release a paid upgrade for PS4 games that released this year at full price to begin with

I was already a little uneasy about a two year old PS4 game going that route but at least Spider-Man on PS4 dropped in price before this remaster was announced

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Incredibly Stupid and tone deaf. Rearrange those letters and you get Sony

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JJ2

Good stuff

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic