Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 4,712

BAMozzy

@phil_j @SirAngry I was basing that on an Article by Eurogamer after the GDC breakdown. However, just checking the article again, they have updated it with this statement:

Update: An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more.

So far, that article hasn't clarified either way and I have NOT seen any article or information from Sony that stated clearly that they will have an internal bay to 'Expand' so I had no reason to believe otherwise.

Now with the news about Samsungs new card, and its pricing, its still more expensive per TB - even if its 'more' reasonably priced than I expected.

There are still some points that are still valid, even if I am wrong about the way Sony's system is built. You still have more hassle swapping an internal HDD than plugging a card in and out of the back with NO need to even turn the system off. It may be possible to swap internal SSD's over with 'relative' ease but its not as simple as pulling a small card out the back and pushing a new one in - if you needed too.

Assuming that Samsung card is suitable, its still more expensive - even if by a 'small' margin and considering the post I was responding too said 'If Sony did this, there would be riots' on a cheaper 1TB expansion card, its still valid. I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd Party Expansion Cards come along too - after all, Xbox 'branded' external HDD's were more expensive than the exact same HDD from the same manufacture without the Xbox branding.

Sony's PS4 had a replaceable internal HDD as you know and you were 'free' to look around and buy any suitable HDD. The GDC talk also made it sound as if this option would be the way they were handling SSD's on the PS5 and Sony themselves haven't come out to clarify the situation - obviously the images of the console show no external expansion slot either and as far as I know, no internal images have been officially revealed.

Anyway, its 'better' than they led me (and numerous others it seems) to believe but its still not going to be cheap to raise the storage by 1TB, slightly more than on Xbox - at least you don't have to replace the internal and reload the OS like you do with PS4!

I do expect prices to drop - but I do expect the expansion cards to drop faster because of the bandwidth and channels. The connection has to be a 'cheaper' solution and I expect third party options to come along too. Obviously in the first year or so, its going to be 'expensive' for BOTH! I am surprised though that Samsungs card is as cheap as it is...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

DonJorginho

A solution for the storage issues of Next-Gen, well my solution anyway!

Buy a 2-4TB External HDD and use that as your storage device for both PS4 backwards compatible titles, and also as a way to transfer PS5 games to and from the console.

Got a title you wanna play later on during your week but need to make space asap? Just transfer it to the HDD and when you need to play it again you can simply transfer it back.

£69 can grab you a good quality HDD with 2 TB compared to $90 for a measly 250GB (albeit it an SSD) that will barely last you a few Warzone patches! And even if that lasts you a while, eventually you will have to upgrade your SSD to a bigger amount, seeing as Xbox are doing this with the HDD support and Sony are already allowing BC Games to be playable off External HDDs. I see this being possible.

DonJorginho

TheFrenchiestFry

So Spider-Man is a PS4 game that can be played natively on PS5 but is getting a PS5 remaster which adds certain enhancements not present in the PS4 game but the PS4 game can still be played on PS5 but the PS4 version's saves can't be carried over to the PS5 version even though the PS5 version is structurally the exact same game as the PS4 version and is bundled with a PS5 game that is also available on PS4, and that PS4 game has cross save functionality with the PS5 version but the PS5 version of the former game is completely seperate from the PS4 version even though the PS4 version can be played on PS5

y'know say what you will about PS5 having the better game lineup and game showcases, and I'd even be with you on that, but their PR has been abysmal compared to Microsoft imo

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Maybe it’s a brainwashing technique. Bamboozle people into buying Playstation.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

SirAngry

@BAMozzy I'm not reading that, it's far too long and most of it is drivel. Cerny confirmed in the road to PS5 event that there was an M.2 drive bay inside the PS5 to expand and add to the PS5's SSD, and that any expansion would need to be compatible with the PS5's SSD. That was all my comment was about. The rest of your comment was utterly superfluous. Learn to self edit, or just get a blog.

Edited on by SirAngry

SirAngry

Kidfried

I really hope I have a next shot at a PS5 tomorrow...

Kidfried

SirAngry

@TheFrenchiestFry the Spider-Man debacle is interesting. Me personally? I think it's BS. I accept that both Insomniac and Remedy have actually done a hell of a lot to Spider-Man and Control respectively. In the case of Control there's an entirely new render and physics pipeline, and the list of what has been done to the Spider-Man remaster for PS5 is actually seriously extensive. I get that work costs, I do. However, with so many teams offering free upgrades to PS5 version for games, many of which do as much as these two games I find it hard to swallow I'll be honest. As always vote with your money people.

SirAngry

nessisonett

@SirAngry Insomniac need to release a trailer that chucks a whole bunch of buzzwords that people understand. Ray tracing, native 4K, zero load times. Even if the improvements are mostly under the hood so to speak, gamers don’t care about that stuff unless it’s jargon they recognise.

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I’d say they should show off their Floating Light Operations but I’m worried the game would FLOP.

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho I think that is what most people with a bit of common sense are going to be doing. I have a 4TB external hdd which I transfer the games i want to play to PS4 internal drive, as that is upgraded and slightly faster. I will just continue to do the same with my PS5. The SSD will speed up that process up too.

@Kidfried Good luck, i will, have my fingers crossed for you!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@SirAngry No I won't! There is NOTHING to say that I cannot express my opinions or have to keep my posts to a certain length at all. If you don't want to read or are incapable of reading a post that has more than a paragraph, that is YOUR issue, not mine. Its not my fault you (or others) have such a short attention span - that's just the kids of today who can only cope with Twitter....

Regardless of whether Sony stated that they have a Bay for the SSD, they did not say that Bay was purely for an 'expansion' SSD or whether that was being used by their only 'internal' SSD. It was vague - so much so that many others, including Digital Foundry, also thought that the SSD was replaceable - much like Sony opted to do for the PS4 generation. What they said was that they will be supporting certain M.2 drives on the PS5, these are drives you can buy on the open market and install in a bay on the PS5. Timestamped video

The PS4/Pro supported certain SATA HDD's (2.5") in a bay too so, like a lot of others, it was assumed that Sony would have a similar system and even today, it has not been confirmed officially how Sony's SSD is connected internally - whether that was fixed to the motherboard or replaceable. It was NOT made clear at the GDC presentation either - as the video above shows.

The rest of my post is NOT superfluous at all as its still relevant. An Expansion - whether its replacing an internal or slotting into a 'bay' is still more expensive for PS5 than it is for Xbox - this after a post mocking the price about the price of the Xbox expansion. Its still not as simple as just plugging a card in either so its still a relevant point.

The response was NOT aimed at you who seem to think your opinions are somehow worth more than anyone elses and then appear ignorant too - that maybe your way, but you certainly do not get to tell me what I can or cannot do, how long/short my posts must be and if you are too ignorant to read them, so be it - but don't tell me what I can or cannot do! Talk about having an apt user name!!! LOL

With people mocking Xbox owners over the price of the expansion card, I think its totally relevant to consider the cost and ease of expanding the PS5 by the same 1TB amount and the hassle of swapping IF you subsequently want to add more storage after. There will be a lot of people who will want to have adequate storage to start playing start away without having to transfer games from HDD to SSD - especially with HDD read/write times...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

SirAngry

@nessisonett I know you're being sarcastic, but the sad truth is you are right. If they mentioned the addition of PBR and real-time physics based destruction and deformation and threw in some buzzwords fanboys would lap in up... but it still sucks. We're seeing studios port games up to 5 years old and make them free upgrades. I think 505 Games and Sony might have got it right from a business perspective, but from a PR / doing the right thing perspective... they've got it very, very wrong.

SirAngry

BAMozzy

@nessisonett But again, others are adding RT, Native 4k, 60/120fps, High resolution textures, increased draw distances with increased LoDs and numerous other upgrades for free. Its not just a resolution bump and/or frame rate bump in a lot of these - although God of War 3 remaster was essentially a frame rate jump and Last of Us remastered too had very minor improvements outside of the frame rate/resolution boost.

I don't think it matters too much what Sony would put out to try and justify charging for an enhanced version for those that have already purchased the game as people will just point to other developers that are offering a free 'next gen' version of their game - regardless of what is added. Like I said, others are offering more than just a resolution/frame rate boost so regardless of what gets listed or demonstrated, people will still point to others that are offering a 'substantial' list of improvements for free.

nessisonett

@BAMozzy I dunno, the words ‘Witcher 3’ and ‘ray tracing’ in the same sentence have a certain subculture of gamers squirming in their seats. Image is just as important as actual technical improvements here, the average gamer has little to no knowledge of how these things work.

If Insomniac came out and said that the PS5 version improved each and every physics algorithm in a way that it was performed in a tenth of the time(which would be somewhat impressive lmao), about 5 people would sit up and applaud them for putting in a whole load of work. It’s only the tangible/recognisable benefits that make the port seem ‘sexy’, so for example them demonstrating physics calculations being faster allowing for more complicated physics being applied to more objects, such as manhole covers now bouncing realistically off objects such as cars.

Those are the tiny details I can get behind, when you play older games, the environment feels like a painted shape at times instead of a collection of objects. I want more cohesion and tighter, living worlds on PS5 as opposed to vaster worlds.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic