Forums

Topic: Gran Turismo 7

Posts 381 to 400 of 639

render

@sorteddan When I originally penned the rules it was to try and keep the barrier to entry as low as possible. I don’t remember you ever raising it as an issue but a number of people don’t post screenshots already, I just thought it was slightly more visual than only posting a time. Happy for you just to put your time in text if you do decide to take part.

I didn’t get chance to do the screen grabs this week and I’m away from home but will do another one for next week.

render

Jimmer-jammer

@render sorry to have missed the last few rounds. Life has been unmanageably busy the past few weeks and some things just had to hit the back burner. Hope to take part in the next one!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

render

@Jimmer-jammer No worries, I can appreciate how crazy life can be. I should have time to get one sorted for Monday so hopefully catch you on that one 👍

render

Th3solution

So, another silly question for the pros on here:
I received a “special invitation” to buy a couple exclusive cars available at the Brand Central shop Aston Martin showroom (a One-77 ‘11and a Vulcan ‘16). Both cars look very sweet, but are of course quite expensive, with the Vulcan being 3.3 mil Cr. The offer expires at the end of the month. So are these exclusive “invitations” the last or only chance to get these cars? Should I expect that I’ll get a new invitation every month for different exclusive cars?
Just wondering if I should save up to grab these now or if I can wait and find them, or better exclusives, later. I quite like the looks of that Vulcan.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@Th3solution You periodically get the invites and so if you miss one it can/will come back around again. Currently I have one for Citroen, Porsche, and Ferrari. Really wouldn't force a purchase unless you're trying to complete your car collection though.

And definitely not a silly question because I had to look this very thing up because they don't do much to explain it in the game.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Th3solution

@zupertramp @JudgeDredd Thanks, I think I’ll see how much credits I rack up before the offer expires and go from there.

The thought did occur to me last night as I booted up the game so I could be sure and get my ‘daily marathon’ lottery ticket that they really have patterned some of the game’s elements after live-service tactics, and I think the ‘special invitation’ is just another aspect of trying to lure one into playing daily and continuing to keep coming back for months and years to come.

Which, honestly, doesn’t sit well with me. I mean, I’m thoroughly enjoying the game so far and I have an itch to play it all the time; it doesn’t (yet) feel like a chore to log in daily or check the random aspects - like which cars are on the used shop today or what prize I get for my latest roulette wheel ticket. However I do feel like I’m being manipulated by it all. There’s a smidgen of ‘loot-boxeyness’ going on.

I have a friend who was into a mobile phone game and he was always locked onto that stupid thing where he had to go in everyday and make sure he did some kind of menial task to get daily credits. Eventually it evolved such that he became a part of some kind of clan and so he felt even more compelled to log in daily and grind activities to contribute to the clan point system because his fellow online mates ‘relied on him.’ Eventually I discovered he also started dropping money on microtransactions to help boost his clan’s rankings. It got to be quite silly and he was obsessed and would be on the game when we were out socializing. Finally he gave it up, I’m not sure why, but I think he realized how predatory it had become.

I’m not saying GT7 is like a mobile F2P scheme, but I recognize some of the tricks that designers use to snare the player into having eyes on their product every day and for more and more hours. It concerns me that Sony is likely to deploy these elements increasingly in their live-service future.

Which honestly, in a way, is what every game and every piece of entertainment does at its core anyways. Even Push Square. Producers of content want people using their product so they can profit from it. So I guess I can’t judge too harshly. As long as a person enjoys partaking the product, how bad can it be. But I for one have committed myself to not drop any extra money on microtransactions at the very least.

Sorry this turned into a stream of consciousness commentary. 😅 I guess I’m in a mood.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Abarth_71 Just saw your reply too — thanks for the info. Good to know it’s not all that important. The time-limited nature of it made me question whether I would miss out if I didn’t take advantage.

Elodin

@Th3solution Posting on your need for gold comment. I was the same way. The first 2 licenses and the first mission I had to gold everything. Now I am excepting passing and having more fun because of it.

As for your gotcha must keep playing comment, I see the comparison, but the biggest difference I see is if you don't log in each day your not losing out to other players like most mobile games where they get ahead with playing everyday and purchases of course. The game I noticed this happening the most at least for me on console was NeverWinter. The story was fun solo and even random grouping as you went, but doing dailies towards the endgame and slowly earn something was the biggest chore. It was so monotonous. I guess many endgame mmo are that way, but Neverwinter was the worst. The one I didn't mind much was MLB the Show. Daily logins slowly earned you cards. I just considered it a bonus if I did log in and that is how I treat GT7. Just my two cents on it all.

Elodin

Th3solution

@Elodin Regarding “golding” and “1st placing” all the early licenses, races, and missions, I do feel like there more pressure on these early hours to max out opportunity since funds are more limited. I suspect after a while that credits to spend are less rare and I can loosen up a little. Right now I do feel like I need as many cars and as many credits as I can muster to keep competitive in some of these races. In order to win the Japanese AWD menu, I had to use the GTO I was awarded for getting all gold in the first license and I had to tune it pretty heavily to make the races more comfortably winnable.

And yeah, the prior post about the live-service elements, that’s a good point that the daily rewards and loot box-type items are not necessary to get a leg up, and appear to be mostly just bonus. They have tons of content in this game and lots of ways to get what you want/need. However, it was really fortuitous that I was awarded a Lexus RC-F through one of my roulette tickets and I’ve used that car for a lot of races and it has served me well. Sweet ride.

Edited on by Th3solution

Elodin

@Th3solution nice get on that Lexus! I think the only thing that wasn't minimum on a ticket for me was some fancy brake pads for a car I can't afford for quite some time lol.

Elodin

zupertramp

@Elodin I get the minimum award on those stupid tickets every time. feels rigged. well minimum, or invitations which like @Th3solution said does feel live service-ish. Like I'd literally only just started playing and I get an invite for Ferrari. Not even a million credits to my name at that point but I have an invite for 3 cars totalling something like 8 million credits. And that invite is timed. And it's like don't worry you don't have to buy it but your car collection thing is gonna have an empty gray spot until you do. But no pressure. Lol.

Then yeah, the daily (grind) workout. Sure I don't have to log in and race 26 miles, no penalty if I don't but I've played enough Animal Crossing and Farmville type games to know when I'm being manipulated to play, even when I'd rather not. Because essentially if you aren't earning, you're not making progress toward one goal or another. And it's even another thing given the unpredictable nature of what the prize is for that 26 miles. Like that's basically a slot machine. Or, as we gamers call them, loot boxes. And obviously you don't just get said loot boxes from your daily workout. There's also the menu books where I carry out super important tasks like collecting cars, getting oil changes, widening the body of a car, etc so I can see what I "win."

Yeah it's definitely got a fomo mechanic at its core.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Mr_B021

Unless you really like a particular car, I wouldn’t bother using an invite. I bought several cars and I barely use them compared to the Gr3 & 4’s

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

Th3solution

@Elodin @zupertramp Yeah, on the roulette tickets I’ve done so far I’ve been awarded the minimum about 90% of the time. Once I got the Lexus and once I got a mid level credit award. The rest of the time it’s been the 2000-5000 Cr. award. It might be just chance, but the one time I got the car I had several tickets I’d saved up and did several back-to-back rather than redeeming each one right away. I have no idea if that helped my chances but I doubt it.

render

Push Square GT7 Fastest Lap Challenge - week 10

Hi everyone, I'm back this week having missed last week so hope everyone is fully fuelled and ready to go. I've relaxed the requirements as per comments I've received so hopefully we should have a full field this week. A quick reminder for anyone that hasn't taken part yet, each week I pick a different track and car combination - hopefully one that we've all got from playing the campaign or one that isn't too expensive from the used car or brand central dealers and we then see who out of all of us can set the fastest lap with it using the TT mode on the specific track. It's open to anyone from novice to seasoned players and is just a bit of fun with the only prize on offer being the feeling of smugness knowing that you've beaten your fellow Push Square forum members.

The car this week is available quite early on in the cafe menu and hopefully is one that people haven't upgraded etc. It's an FR car so should be an easy car to control, coupled with a short course layout that will hopefully mix it up a little.

Track: Suzuka Circuit- East Course
Car: Corolla Levin 1600GT APEX (AE86) '83
Settings: Default settings sheet (if you think you might have changed settings just create a new sheet)
Tyres: Comfort Medium
Time of day: 06:00
Method:

The idea is to go in blind, no practice using the track / car combo before hand and no restarting - this is going to rely on everyone being honest as there's really no way to police this. Any day Monday to Thursday this week go to World Circuits, select the track followed by Time Trial -

Untitled

Select the specific time of day -

Untitled

Select the car and tyres -

Untitled

You've got 5 laps to put together a solid lap time. Once you've crossed the line on the 5th lap exit the time trial and take a screenshot as per the example or just record your time:

Untitled

Then either upload the image to Twitter or another sharing service e.g. imgur.com and post the link here or just post your time in a message, whichever method suits you best and whenever you like. I'll then gather all the times up and publish the results on Friday.

Good luck!

render

Elodin

@render going to give it a shot tonight. Will be my first try at this. Ill make sure I take off anything I bought for the car too. Can't wait to embarrass myself

Elodin

MatthewJP

Untitled

1:08.884

Edited on by MatthewJP

PSN: mpquikster

render

@Elodin I doubt you’ll embarrass yourself more than I usually do. Getting this right in 5 laps is definitely not my forte but it’s always fun trying.

@MatthewJP That was quick and could well be quick.

render

Elodin

Not sure how to share my best time, but it
Was. 1:11.697.

Was best on my fourth lap. Got greedy on my fifth and was way worse. Was fun. To share. Now we have a low and a high point. 🙃. Happy to participate.

Elodin

Th3solution

@render It’s also my first time to participate in the weekly challenge. I’m finally far enough along to join in, having opened up most tracks and cars.

Nevertheless, the quality of my driving still leaves much to be desired. I did very poorly but here it is —

Untitled

1:11.775

A hair behind @Elodin 😄

I’ve been driving FR and MR mostly, so I actually found going back to a FF was harder. Lost control several times, as you can see 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

On a separate note, I’ve been playing so much GT7 that now when I get in my real-life car to drive I’m automatically looking for the best driving line to take around a turn and the best path to pass someone. 😅 I’m kinda worried about myself.

It also makes real driving feel exceptionally slow.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic