Forums

Topic: Game of the Year 2022

Posts 41 to 52 of 52

JohnnyShoulder

Seeing as others have posted games they have played that were not released this year, I will do the same as I've not played many from this year.

It is no surprise that Elden Ring comes out top for me. A phenomenal game which ticked all the boxes for me, and one I spent half the the year playing. After that, in no particular order is:

Resident Evil Village
Stray
Hollow Knight
Guardians of the Galaxy
Salt & Sanctuary
Inscryption

I've yet to play God of War Ragnarök and I've only just started Horizon Forbidden West, so those will most likely be on next year's best of list with me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@JudgeDredd Looking at the release schedule for the first part of the year, 2023 does not look like a good year for the backlog!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@JudgeDredd Yeah by the time I've caught up with games I missed from this year at least, most of the games I'm interested in will have dropped in price a bit most likely.

KilloWertz

@JudgeDredd I didn't even realize Life is Strange: True Colors was a 2021 release when doing my list since it came out fairly late in 2021. I tried to keep mine as 2022 releases (counting Cyberpunk 2077 as one since the current gen version released this year), but I'm probably too lazy to go back and change my list. Since I haven't played any other games yet that actually released in 2022 that I liked well enough to list, then I guess oh well.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

purple_mouse_gaming

Havent played much variety this year, but I'm gonna go with Toem on Switch. Charming little game, recently updated with some new areas, totally devoid of conflict, very relaxing to play - and just a really nice experience all around ✅

Edit: Okay, it was a 2021 release, but it's the best game I've played THIS year 😉

Edited on by purple_mouse_gaming

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I reckon all major story-centric sequels should come with a "previously on..." video embedded on their main menus. Sorry to hear that your free time is becoming even more limited, and hope that you're able to enjoy whatever you play, whenever you get to play it (whether it's MGS2 or not)!

Fortunately, there appear to be dozens of Zero Dawn recap videos on YouTube, all of varying lengths and levels of detail, so I'm sure you'll be able to get back up-to-speed.

I'm glad my approach to capturing screenshots has ended up working so well for you! I certainly agree with your comments regarding progression through RiME, as a quick glance shows me that I took more and more screenshots the further I played (I've barely got any from the first chapter!) and those final areas, once the plot penny had dropped, were absolutely something I wanted to remember, no matter how traumatic the realisation might've been for me personally. I think I took all my screenshots during a platinum-chasing second run, though; not sure I took any during my initial playthrough.

And yes, despite not having played The Last of Us or its sequel for myself, I know of the specific area you referenced up there, and can only imagine how beautiful it must look in Photo Mode! I remain very grateful for your consideration of spoilers. There are a couple of polite suggestions that I think we'll have to enshrine as official rules next time, as my assumption that everybody'll play as nice as you (and almost all of the other regulars, of course) never seems to pan out. Oh well.

As for you submitting a little variety, please know that it was very much appreciated (and rest assured that I doubt anybody would construe your Avengers screenshot as a GOTY endorsement)!

@JohnnyShoulder You've played The Frozen Wilds, right? If not, I'd recommend the same YouTube recap video advice, perhaps once you've hit certain story beats or cleared certain areas. You might be alright, though; as alluded to earlier, I reckon my failure to remember any specific triggers or references speaks volumes! So long as you're having unconfused fun, that should be all that matters.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No, not played Frozen Wilds. I'm not a massive story guy and unless I get really confused, I reckon I will be ok. The stuff in-game has been sufficient so far when I needed refresh my memory of events from Zero Dawn.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, apologies for the confusion. Given how you describe yourself as "not a massive story guy" then I'm certain that Forbidden West will present its shenanigans just fine for you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No apologies needed buddy, thanks for the consideration!

Jimmer-jammer

This list will almost certainly change as I play catch up on the year but as it stands:

1. Elden Ring
2. God of War Ragnarok
3. Ghostwire Tokyo
4. Inscryption
5. Gran Turismo 7

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

JohnnyShoulder

@Jimmer-jammer Another vote for Inscryption! Such a surprise of game, and my hidden gem of the year.

Jimmer-jammer

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, it really threw me for a loop, but that’s the whole point, I guess! It’s a game that’s almost impossible to describe yet makes perfect sense once you’ve played it. To top it off, the base card game that everything is built off of is just plain fun to play. Glad to see I’m not the only one who enjoyed it. It’s pretty awesome.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic