Forums

Topic: Game of the Year 2022

Posts 21 to 40 of 52

JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho wrote:

Elden Ring is the only 2022 release I’ve played this year so I guess that.
Untitled

I also played Stray, but as good at that was, it was never gonna top Elden Ring for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MaccaMUFC

My personal GOTY so far is A Plague Tale: Requiem but I’m expecting The Callisto Protocol to change that.

I’m currently playing through God of War Ragnarok, I’ve just arrived in Alfheim but for some reason the game is just not clicking with me, which I’m surprised about seeing as I’ve played GoW (2018) from start to finish, doing every side quest, exploring every inch of the maps etc. I’m sending my rental copy of Ragnarok back tomorrow so I’m really glad I didn’t pay £70 for it.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

VivianXD2464

I've played most of the games that came out this year and Elden Ring took my breath away.
I really don't like Souls-like games but this game was really amazing. At one point my buddy and me played Elden Ring online co-op for about 30-50 days straight. The graphics on PS5 is just mind blowing.

GOW Ragnarok also deserves a spot but I prefer playing Elden Ring than GOW and day.
Horizon Forbidden West also deserves a honourable mention.

Edited on by VivianXD2464

"Dwight You Ignorant Slut!"

PSN: VivianXD2464

Kuromiano

My game of year this year is Way of Hunter. I go deer hunting on most weekends and when I don't go hunting in the woods I still go hunting on my console on other weekends.

Kuromiano

RogerRoger

Well, since I'm unlikely to play anything new before Sunday...

Games Released in 2022
1) Sonic Frontiers (PS5)
2) Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
3) Gotham Knights (PS5)
4) LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
5) The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe (PS4)
6) SnowRunner (PS5)
7) Agent Intercept (PS5)
8) Sifu: Vengeance Edition (PS5)
9) Star Trek Prodigy: Supernova (PS5)
10) Sonic Origins (PS5)

First-Time Playthroughs in 2022
1) Sonic Frontiers (PS5)
2) Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
3) Gotham Knights (PS5)
4) Shenmue III (PS4)
5) LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
6) The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe (PS4)
7) Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PS Vita)
8) Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PSone)
9) Agent Intercept (PS5)
10) Sifu: Vengeance Edition (PS5)

I've bumped SnowRunner from that second list because I don't feel like I've played enough of it to truly call it a "first-time playthrough" yet, but I've definitely played enough of it for it to have made a very strong first impression, worthy of noting alongside the year's other releases.

Honourable Mentions
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PSone) and Submerged: Hidden Depths (PS5)

Dishonourable Mentions
Adam's Venture: Origins (PS4) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

My Top 5:
5) "Bayonetta 3".
4) "Tunic"
3) "Sifu'.
2) "God of War:Ragnarok".
1) "Elden Ring".
Honourable Mentions to "Immortality" and "Pentiment". Most disappointing were "Gotham Knights" and (especially) "Horizon Forbidden West".

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I’m a little surprised that Horizon Forbidden West ranked higher than Gotham Knights for you. Your review of GK was quite favorable, and the HFW impressions were slightly tepid during the middle of your playthrough, if I recall. I think it redeemed itself toward the end, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was your second favorite game of the year. Did the game grow in your mind as time passed? (I know a lot have games have done this to me, whereby I look back on them and appreciate them more days and weeks later after the whole experience has had time to percolate in my mind.). Or am I merely misremembering your first impressions?

Also impressed with Shenmue III’s lofty placement, although I definitely remember the way in which the game gnawed at your soul in a bewildering way.

Not jarred by Sonic Frontiers being the crown jewel for you. It took the top spot in a very strong RR year!

(I’m not nit-picking here, so sorry if it comes across that way; just honestly curious. I’m all in favor of a person loving what they want to love without having to explain it!)

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

There's several games I still want to play from 2022, but out of the ones I have played...

1) Horizon Forbidden West
2) Cyberpunk 2077
3) God of War Ragnarok
4) Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
5) Life is Strange: True Colors

Some will say that Cyberpunk launched in 2021, and it did, but the PS5/Series X version released in 2022. You could also agree that the game the way it was meant to be didn't exist until 2022. Regardless, I'm counting it as it has appeared on a list or two from editors here and it was a special experience for me this year. I know I started out of order, but I wanted to get the justification out of the way. Horizon Forbidden West is a no-brainer at #1 as it pretty much was handed that award before it even released. It just had to live up to expectations, and it obviously did. I won't post my whole thoughts on God of War Ragnarok as I still want to eventually dig into my complete thoughts on the game in the proper thread at some point. Fantastic story, but gameplay issues for me kept it from ever truly competing for the top spot, even if that was truly never attainable anyways. I'm not done with Crisis Core yet, but it is going really good so far and I only have so many games to choose from. I loved Final Fantasy VII Remake, so this going really well is not a surprise. Life is Strange: True Colors is probably a surprise entry, but it was a great experience for me, and I wanted to give it some props over something like The Last of Us Part 1 since it's a completely new game.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Lavalera

For me the list is kinda depending on if we count first time releases only this year or we include re-releases like Person 5 Royal as well. If I look purely at game released for the first time in 2022 i wasn't wowed by many new games I played.
The list:

1 A Plague Tale Requiem
2 Horizon Forbidden West
3 Ghostwire Tokyo
4 As Dusk Falls (i know it is an Xbox exclusive but I loved it that much and its on my general list)
5 Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga

Until A Plague Tale: Requiem released, Horizon Forbidden West was my game of the year. I absolutely love big open world games where you can explore and do a lot of stuff. I liked the story and the structure of that game. And then came A Plague Tale. That game kept me on the edge on my seat the entire time. The music was amazing, the voice actors for Amicia and Hugo were amazing and the story really hit me. Sometimes it was hard to believe it was just an AA game.

Ghostwire Tokyo for me personally is the game that flew under a lot of people radars because of the mixed reviews. You won't see this game on a lot of people's list, but i loved it. Some people will say it's just another checklist game or far cry in Tokyo. For me the game was so much more. It was very relaxing to walk through the streets (or over the roofs) of Shibuya, collecting spirits, shooting monsters, doing side quests and learning about Japanese folklore. Also the central theme of "letting go" made it so much more than just a checklist or Far Cry game.

As Dusk Falls was like turning Fargo into a story driven game like the Life is Strange games. And Lego Star Wars was my first ever Lego game and just so much fun.

Honorable mention goes to Persona 5 Royal. Which technically didnt release this year, but since i played it on Gamepass ill include it here

Edited on by Lavalera

PSNid: Lavalera

MaulTsir

So I'm gonna count this list I played rather then some of them being 22 games because of my Backlog I very rarely play a game that's brand new.

1. Demon's Soul's
2. Returnal
3. Cyberpunk 2077
4. Tales of Arise
5. MW2

I had so much fun with Demon Soul's, enough fun that I actually enjoyed going for the Plat(big thanks to Sol) the game just drew me right in and even though Elden Ring sort of over shadowed it in nearly every way I was so glad I played this first and enjoyed it for what it was. Some very gimmicky boss fights and levels do show you the games age and you can see that it was their first attempt so not perfect but the PS5 remake is still probably the most visually pleasing game I've played and the combat which started slow and sluggish to me at first, especially after my recent run through of Bloodborne well by the end I really felt like I was a master, definitely no where near as difficult as Bloodborne or as memorable in terms of boss fights but still a really top game my favourite of the year.

MW2s campaign was what got it on the list, although it was rather short it's the most fun from a fps campaign I've had in a very long time.

Honorable mentions to Stray, Deliver Us The Moon and What Remains of Edith Finch.

MaulTsir

CJD87

I didn't play too many different games this year, so will include pre-22 releases in my top 5 + DLC/expansions:

#1 Elden Ring
Such a great time, and the first FS game I have been fortunate enough to play on release. Just awesome in so many ways, and I feel like FS did a great job in making this accessible for those new to the genre. Sekiro is still my #1 FS game, but ER a close 2nd!

#2 Monster Hunter Rise - Sunbreak Expansion
Ploughed in so many hours, and the QoL updates within the expansion are awesome. My main weapon, Greatsword, is perhaps the best its ever been and so many playstyles. I played on Switch but am really happy for PS/XB owners they will have the opportunity to play.

#3 Returnal DLC
Returnal was my 2021 GOTY, and remains one of my favorite games of all time. The expansion, co-op potential, and extra trophies were a very welcome surprise! Housemarque giving it away for free was also top tier.

#4 Thimbleweed Park
I played Return to Monkey Island, which got me thirsting for more games from the point/click/adventure library. TP is made by the same team, and IMO a much better game - really drew me in and I found myself thinking about puzzles I was stuck on throughout my day ha

#5 TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Played this on Switch with my kids, we loved it - pure carnage and fun, great love-letter to the side scrolling beat-em-ups of old

CJD87

colonelkilgore

I’ve probably not played 5 new games that have released in 2022, so as some others have already done I’ll include some games that I enjoyed in 2022 but have released in previous years:

1. God of War: Ragnarok - lived up to and exceeded every single expectation that I had going in, unbelievably good game!
2. Elden Ring - hailed it as my favourite game of all time after finishing off the platinum… but as recency bias has worn off it has probably slipped a few places, still in my top 5 though.
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - plays a little janky but the narrative, characters and ‘world’ are elite level stuff. 270 hours well spent.
4. Horizon Forbidden West - seems to have divided opinion but I really enjoyed it. A few more options available in terms of gameplay, looks incredible and I really liked the direction that Guerrilla took the story.
5. Rise of the Tomb Raider - although I’m way behind on these, I’m a real sucker for this latest Tomb Raider trilogy. So much so that I’m putting off playing Shadow of the… as I don’t want them to end.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Casco

I'm including those I played in 2022:
1. Elden Ring
2. Cyberpunk 2077
3. It Takes Two
4. Horizon Forbidden West
5. Shredder's Revenge
6. Witcher 3 - Upgrade
7. God of War: Ragnarök
8. Last of Us Part 1
9. Plague's Tale: Requiem
10. Returnal

I had held off from It Takes Two for some reason, I discovered it on Gamepass and my wife (who typically isn't a gamer) and I had a blast playing it in the summer. We really enjoyed our time with May and Cody. We also had a a lot of fun playing Shredder's Revenge together.

Interestingly, I have a Switch as well but didn't play anything noteworthy there this year (Xenoblade, Bayonetta and Pokemon are not my cup of tea, and found Kirby's multiplayer really bad, as only one player can eat things to get the power-ups).

Edited on by Casco

Casco

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No apology necessary, buddy! I'm grateful for the conversation!

You're not misremembering my reaction to Forbidden West, as I was indeed overly critical and analytical of its few shortcomings, both during my playthrough and in my eventual review. Funnily enough, it was my subsequent experience with Shenmue III (a game which worked hard to win me over in spite of its flaws) which made me retrospectively realise how much I respected Forbidden West, and how I'd only really noticed its minor imperfections because of its overall perfection, if that makes sense? It's like how you can easily spot a single speck of dust on a pure white piece of paper; it doesn't necessarily mean that the paper is dirty, but it's still gonna draw your eye.

Comparatively, Gotham Knights didn't have to earn my adoration in the same way, as I was (and still am) a fan of its characters and lore, so I was hooked before I'd even started playing. That, and it was easier to overlook its flaws because of that pre-existing interest, and because they were more frequent, and therefore less jarring, to the point where I could ignore them the more I got settled. Again, I feel like I might lose most people with that last point, but it makes sense to me!

For me, this year has taught me a lot about my gaming priorities. I've mentioned a couple times that I've found myself wondering whether I still enjoy gaming, but I think those moments were less drastic than that, and were more about the weight of my opinions simply shifting.

Which is why Sonic Frontiers is top of my list. Forbidden West looks better than it, Gotham Knights has a better story, LEGO Star Wars has more content, and The Stanley Parable is far, far more fascinating than all of 'em combined, but Frontiers made such a strong emotional impact and managed to exhume such soul-swelling joy from depths I thought were long-darkened. It provided lasting memories and an experience which was, and will forever be, greater than the sum of its parts. If that's not worth putting atop a GOTY list... well then, what the heck are we all doing here, eh?

A surprisingly strong year indeed, at least for me. What about you? What's been your highlight?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Very interesting, and it makes perfect sense to me! 😄
I actually think that often Sony’s own consistent high quality leads to similar types of moments from the fanbase. When their output is dependably so strong, the chinks in the armor will be magnified. I’ve been guilty of sometimes focusing on the sparse imperfections in AAA games whilst considering worse issues in lesser titles as “part of their charm” 😅

It’s why I think the best measure of judging a game’s impact is considering how one feels about it a week or two after completion. Or sometimes even a few months later. So with that in mind, my personal games of the year which I played would probably be:

1. The Last of Us: Part II
2. Demon’s Souls Remake
3. Gran Turismo 7
4. Dark Souls Remastered
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Spider-Man Miles Morales
7. Kena: Bridge of Spirits
8. Mass Effect
9. RiME
10. Final Fantasy Intermission

There’s some splitting hairs there and my mind might change on some of the placement depending on my mood at the time, but I’d give the overall crown to TLoU2 consistently. As I alluded to, it’s a matter of the game growing in my mind as time passes and although it’s easy to cut it down when compared to its predecessor, when I take the microscopic view away and judge it on its own I can’t help but just be so impressed with it.

These ten are all games I completed except for Dark Souls Remastered, which I’m in the middle of but have seen enough to know it’s at least the fourth best game I’ve played, and might compete with Demon’s Souls position when all is said and done. It’s definitely an impressive piece for a PS3 game.

I’ve also got MGS2 underway which would probably fit in but I’m less far along with it and can’t fully judge it yet. It’ll have to be on my 2023 list.

————

Back on the HFW subject though, question —
I’ve got it roughly slotted for play within the next 6 months, and I was wondering if it’s essential to recommended to have played The Frozen Wilds first. I never got around to it, despite my intention to do so. At this point it’s been so long since I completed HZD that I worry about the rumored difficulty of Frozen Wilds since I’d effectively be dropped back in late game, if I understand correctly. I’d be willing to suffer through the hard-knocks of an accelerated retrain if the story to Frozen Wilds is important to following the story of Forbidden West. Otherwise, if it’s not crucial, I reckon I’ll skip the DLC for now and just jump into the sequel, knowing if I end up replaying this rumored PS5 remake of HZD then I’ll do Frozen Wilds then.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think you be fine starting the sequel without any knowledge of the events of the dlc for the first game. I've not long started Forbidden West, and only the events of Zero Dawn have been mentioned so far.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Ok thanks, mate. How are you liking Forbidden West so far?

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Not to split hairs with @JohnnyShoulder but, without giving anything away, the events of The Frozen Wilds are heavily referenced in Forbidden West. That being said, I'm 100% certain that you'll be given all the context necessary to understand the game's unfolding events, and can't recall any specific moment where I went, "Ah-ha, of course, that's from the DLC!" so I'd say it's totally your call.

If you wanna see things for yourself first-hand, then play The Frozen Wilds. If you're happy to be told a story, then you can skip it.

@Th3solution Yeah, now that we're talking about this, it feels familiar, so I think we've discussed this particular phenomenon before! But it's definitely what made me think I'd been unfair towards Aloy's latest outing because you're right, if I'm prepared to put the imperfect Sonic Frontiers top of my list, then I shouldn't condemn Forbidden West for its minor pacing issues and wonky controls. Such overreactions are definitely a growing trend nowadays, and I get real frustrated whenever I see perfectly good games get blasted for inconsequential shortcomings (the whole 60fps thing being a recent example).

I think you're very wise to let a game settle in your consciousness before reaching a final judgement, as that's often how I find myself forgetting about any minor flaws and appreciating the bigger picture. It's why Agent Intercept ended up on my list, because I was supremely "meh" towards it when I played it, but I've been thinking about it ever since and all I remember is that I had a lot of fun.

Excellent list, by the way! Lots of stuff I haven't played, but I'm personally pleased to see a few favourites make the grade, including Miles Morales, Mass Effect and RiME (speaking of which, I don't think I mentioned it before, but the RiME screenshot you submitted to the competition was sublime and even more impressive considering that I know that game doesn't have a Photo Mode). Looks like you've definitely been bitten by the FromSoft bug, which is great! Hope you continue to enjoy Dark Souls Remastered, and that it more than earns its place on your list. I'm often equally hesitant to rank things, because I always wanna tweak a few positions for similar reasons!

Oh, and if the masterpiece that is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty doesn't appear at the very top of your list next year, then you and I will definitely need to have words!!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks for your perspective on HFW as well. Honestly, I might have to watch/read a HZD recap before I start the sequel, regardless. The story gets fairly complex and I’ve forgotten many details. In a perfect world with infinite amounts of free time I’d replay the whole game + DLC beforehand, but for me such discretionary time is becoming rare as hen’s teeth.

And thanks for the props and for mentioning that RiME shot. I had quite a few screencaps from the game that I wanted to submit, because yes, although there’s no photo mode, the game oozes with artistic design. Especially the last section. Some of my favorite shots were (RiME spoiler warning for passersby) from the “Despair” section where there is the dark and depressed themes with the statues in the rain that have the appearance like they are weeping. I found that whole climactic chapter to be the strongest emotionally and visually and it made for some decent shots. Looking at them months later is a great way to reminisce and recall the impact of the game again, so thanks again for your advice about how to approach taking gaming screenshots (how you treat the process like you would when taking pictures while traveling on vacation so you can look back on them… Or however you said it several months ago. At least that’s how I remembered your comment). It really does add a layer to enjoyment, or rather re-enjoyment, to the gaming we do.

Anyways, I had to consider some shots as being too spoilery, and so I excluded them from consideration. The one I submitted felt less likely to ruin some of the reveal that would have been sacrificed with those I left out. The RiME pics and some really nice ones from the final section of TLoU2 were amongst my favorites and prompted my comment during the contest about how to handle spoiler-laden photos. In the end I excluded (slight TLoU2 spoiler incoming which I’m not holding back since I know you’ve said you don’t plan to play in the future) some great pics of Ellie’s homestead in the picturesque scenes toward the end that I still find jaw dropping when I look back on it. There’s some great scenery, use of color and lighting there, and it’s a very strong emotional hook for those who played the game. Naughty Dog made the section so beautiful that screenshots basically take themselves. 😄

As I think I mentioned to you, some of my logic behind choosing which shots to submit revolved around not only avoidance of spoilers, but also inclusion of some games that I suspected wouldn’t be represented. In a sea of pics from God of War and Horizon, I thought a few from RiME, Avengers, and Guardians might be a breath of fresh air for the judges. 😄 — and back on thread subject, these were games I thoroughly enjoyed and were personal GOTY games for me (well, not so much Avengers, but my ambivalence toward that game is well documented).

I’ll be dropping impressions of MGS2, as I’m want to do, and maybe a full review. Although again, the free-time scantiness and unpredictability seems to get in the way. It comes in fits and spurts, so we’ll see.

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Cheers for the clarification Rog, I thought someone who had played more of the game would be able to provide more detailed info.

@Th3solution Yeah it is good so far, it does feel like I've only scratched the surface. It is a stunning looking game. It's terms of refreshing your memory of events from Zero Dawn, I feel the game does a good enough job of recapping stuff from the first game. There were a few characters who I didn't recognise, but the in-game synopsis of each individual was sufficient for me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic