Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,981 to 4,000 of 4,206

LN78

@colonelkilgore To be honest it's probably better that our local branch isn't an Aladdin's cave full of obscure retro delights. I spend far too much money on that sort of junk as it is!

LN78

sorteddan

I caved and decided to pre-order the physical edition of Signalis which isn't due out till the end of Feb. Hopefully I'll be able to reduce my backlog by some before then...

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LN78

Reading @nessisonett rhapsodise about "All Ghillied Up" from "Call of Duty 4" must have made me unconsciously nostalgic because I've just ordered a copy of the remastered version. I haven't played a "COD" campaign in ages - and they used to be an annual tradition for my brother and I. Looking forward to it.

LN78

LN78

@oliverp Cheers buddy. I played it on PS3 when it came out but obviously that was ages ago. Memories are hazy at best.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 It was so much better than I was expecting to be honest. I beat the Modern Warfare 2 remaster last week and that’s a game I’m more familiar with, but I think I prefer the first one.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

Might've just made a terrible mistake in buying Metal Gear Survive but what the heck, it was only five bucks on Amazon (compared to PSN, who wanted thirty-five for it digitally) and my current mood means that it's now or never. That, and I need cheap games that'll last me a while.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

RogerRoger wrote:

That, and I need cheap games that'll last me a while.

???

Everything alright?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Oh sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound so dramatic! Thank you for asking, though!

I'm flat broke, but it's okay. I just expected to know my future a little better by this point, and I'm certainly not the only person in this current climate who's having to watch their pennies. In fact, I'm far luckier than most, and have a few fall-back measures, like selling all my nerd crap. For now, though, I've been able to ring-fence some treat money for Jedi: Survivor and Spider-Man 2 and can always shave a couple quid off my food shopping for random sales or other surprises. I'll manage.

Again, I really appreciate your concern, and apologise for adding that last sentence which, in retrospect, does sound a little alarming from an external perspective! Sorry!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Heh, alright, that statement just sounded a bit funny.

Inflation is causing a lot of us to have to pinch our pennies where we can. Although everything else seems to be piling on as well. I don't know how it is in the UK, but the price of eggs is insane in the US atm thanks to the bird flu ripping through commercial hatcheries since last year. I think I read that it has killed off 10% or so of the hens driving this industry? Tens of millions. It's nuts.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Yeah, it was supposed to indicate my willingness to settle down with long grinds going forward, given my lack of disposable income. That'll teach me to type in a hurry!

Yep, we've still got a bird flu situation here as well, although the headlines have gone quiet since Christmas, when everybody panicked that it would lead to a shortage of turkeys. People have stopped caring now that there's not a long-standing tradition in jeopardy, so the media's moved on.

It's abundantly clear that the infrastructure of the modern world was only designed to withstand one or two problems at a time. Pile on three or four, and the whole system starts to collapse.

What's that old Chinese curse? "May you live in interesting times."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger “It's abundantly clear that the infrastructure of the modern world was only designed to withstand one or two problems at a time. Pile on three or four, and the whole system starts to collapse.”
Boy, that does ring true, doesn’t it? The news cycles seem to latch on to a couple big stories for a few days to weeks and then completely forget about them. Which is the opposite of what you’d think would happen in an ‘Information Age.’ I suppose the saturated content of the internet makes it easy enough to look up anything about anything, but important things are surprisingly hidden and ignored by the collective consciousness while the stupidest mundane happenings are viral. I gradually feel more and more like a visiting stranger on this planet.

What topic am in…? Oh yeah, uh — can’t wait to hear about Metal Gear Survive! And all your other Metal Gear escapades. You’ll probably beat me to the end of MGS2 (if you haven’t already), but I’ll get there eventually (damn that Dark Souls bug I’ve caught!)

Edit: oops… just read on the other topic about your completion of your MGS2 replay. I’ll comment over yonder about it.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, we're a little off-topic, aren't we?

Apologies for inadvertently instigating that diversion. Although I'm impressed at how many lines of dialogue and song lyrics you've quoted (intentionally or otherwise) from the Metal Gear series in your reply. Looks like I'm replaying some of the series at quite the opportune moment!

Just know that you're not alone in feeling like a strange visitor to this planet, buddy.

Making It So Since 1987

FSP

Logistics 29 driving force Sim Wheel.

DONCASTER PHOENIX THEY ARE THE FUTURE

Thrillho

@Zuljaras It is a masterpiece and, like TLOU2, it’s easy to forget it was a PS4 game with how good it looked.

It can be a bit of a jarring experience to start with as the game goes at quite a slow pace throughout but especially in the opening scenes.

It’s an incredible world to got lost in though and a brilliant piece of storytelling.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Zuljaras Just to reiterate what @Thrillho said, you’ll need to give RDR2 a little time to warm up. A lot of players get put off by the pacing, which is at its worst in the opening section. I can’t remember for sure, but probably at least a 5 hour ramp up before things get going. And even then, the entire game is best approached as the cowpoke, moseying through a surprisingly intricate world and an excellent storyline. The technical accomplishment of the game by Rockstar is almost unrivaled on PS4. And the voice acting performance is amongst my favorite of all time.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Zuljaras Yes, RDR2 is a direct prequel to RDR, and so could be played first, but the gameplay and graphics will be a step backward when you get to RDR so it could affect your enjoyment. To me it was more interesting to see some of the characters from the first game in their earlier years and know which way they were going to end up; if you play the prequel first then you’ll not really understand the importance of some of those characters and so some story beats (especially those toward the end) won’t hit as hard. Plus you won’t get to experience the amazement when you see some of the locations from the first game reoccur in the prequel. Nevertheless, if time is limited and you don’t have a love for retro titles, RDR2 is probably the one you don’t want to miss, if you can only get around to one of them.

The first game is quite a bit shorter though, so if time allows, you could knock it out in a couple weeks, or even one dedicated week. And honestly, not accounting for rose-colored nostalgia misleading me, I think I consider the first game the better experience as far as fondness of memory. RDR2 is objectively a better game, no doubt, but the first game’s narrative was special to me back when I played it. The second game’s story is no slouch though. Among PS4’s best.

In the end, you can’t go wrong either way, imo. Whichever you play first, just so long as you play them. 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

Zuljaras

@Th3solution I have lots of love for old titles I have no problem with outdated graphics or game mechanics so that is a no issue for me

People mentioned TLOU2 but I prefer playing the first one even though the second one has better environments and graphics

The main reason I did not invest time in those is the scale. But then again I could just follow the main quest right?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic