Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 5,941 to 5,960 of 6,461

colonelkilgore

@Sable yeah I’ve had that knocking around the backlog since it was on ps+ a couple of years back. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

@Zuljaras awesome dude… and congrats! As a huge From Soft fan myself it always makes me extremely happy when players new to their titles click with their games. Enjoy Elden Ring buddy… it’s between that and Bloodborne for my fave game of all-time.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

CJD87

@Zuljaras Exciting times mate!

As many others have said - Elden Ring is a truly remarkable game... and if you are already worshipping at the altar of FromSoftware, then you are in for a hell of a ride!

It is great you've already played DS1-3/BB, as this means you'll truly appreciate some of the QoL improvements that Elden Ring brings with it (Eg. no more obnoxious 'boss runs' from far-away checkpoints ha)

It is basically an open-world Dark Souls 4, and I mean that as a ginormous compliment. I have friends who have never played any FS games, and have loved Elden Ring... so you are sure to enjoy it.

A rare instance in today's world where something actually 'lives up to the hype', and I would expect it to easily win GOTY 2022. (it is certainly my own personal GOTY, followed closely by MHR Sunbreak and TMNT Shredder's Revenge)

CJD87

Th3solution

@CJD87 I hadn’t really started thinking about it yet, but I think you’re right — GOTY going to Elden Ring would seem a foregone conclusion. Even though I haven’t played it yet (or many 2022 release games for that matter), it has the trifecta of critical praise, commercial success, and player engagement. So no doubt it will get most GOTY nods, unless Kratos has something to say about it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Zuljaras

@CJD87 I got DS1 on release (Nintendo Switch) but never passed the Taurus Demon It was too frustrating.

It all started around 2-3 months ago once I sat my mind on it and pushed through the pain ... I was hooked!!!

After that I got Bloodborne as a BD gift from my coworkers because they know I like horror stuff. That game sat in the drawer for 4 years!!!

Immediately after DS1 I bought the Trilogy collection for the PS4 and continued the journey!

The one with most deaths was DS2. There are some unforgiving segments there!!!

And from what I saw on gameplay videos and reviews, Elden Ring will be GOTY this year.

CJD87

@Th3solution I agree, and it seems to be quite rare these days that the critical opinion and player-base have parity in any game-related assessments! It would be a very well deserved GOTY in my opinion, albeit I think you're right that the only potential rival is Kratos (!)
If rumours are to be believed though, it is likely that FS will announce DLC for Elden Ring in the run up to the GOTY awards.... ensuring they have the added benefit of 'recency bias' to support their win

I think nominations are announced in coming weeks... could be a good idea for a new thread, to share predictions etc?!

@Zuljaras The FS portfolio seems to often get tarred with the brush of 'extreme difficulty'..... whereas I think they actually are games that just require patience and the capacity to learn the obtuse mechanics and build scopes. If you're prepared to do some reading up online, and ready to suffer a few humiliating deaths, these games are definitely challenging but certainly not 'impossible'!
Sekiro is my personal favorite, but it is IMO for the best that you'll likely play this after ER? Sekiro forces the player to un-learn a lot of the behaviours needed for survival in DS/ER..... dodge-rolling is out, and parrying is in lol

CJD87

Zuljaras

@CJD87 Sekiro will be my absolute last game to play from the Soulsborne games. I really dislike the samurai/asian setting for such a game. But I see that many people love it. Perhaps someday I will like it too.

JohnnyShoulder

@Zuljaras I highly recommend Sekiro too, it being one of my faves games from last gen. Although is shares similarities with previous FromSoftware titles, you will have unlearn some of the habits picked up from playing those games, especially in terms of combat.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@Zuljaras Controversial opinion but "Sekiro" is very much my favourite out the bunch. No grinding the stats, no OP weapons and no summons. It's completely skill based so the victory highs after some of the boss encounters are pretty much unmatched. I've clocked it on both the PlayStation and the Xbox, something I've never done before or since.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Couldn't have said it better myself!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CJD87

@LN78 So true...

Don't get me wrong, Elden Ring was/is an immaculate game, but there were so many times I felt my victories were fairly hollow due to OP builds and utility options (Mimic Tear, summons etc).

Whereas Sekiro... every victory feels truly skill-based, and the euphoria for toppling a nightmare boss is unrivalled! Nothing in ER ever topped how great it felt to (Finally!) whip Lady Butterfly in Sekiro.

Elden Ring is my personal GOTY, but Sekiro still holds its top spot as FromSoft's finest work IMO

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@Zuljaras @CJD87 @JohnnyShoulder @LN78 just to offer a bit of diversity on the subject… while I loved Sekiro the fact that my Souls-like play-style (& Sekiro is in all probability the loosest embodiment of all souls-likes out there… which is no shade, it’s just different) is predominantly a dodge-roll defence as opposed to a parry-defence, which meant that it wasn’t really my flavour of choice.

I still enjoyed it, still beat it (including the absolutely CRAZY optional bosses) but due to personal taste it would always factor below the Souls games, Elden Ring and Bloodborne for me at least.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

CJD87

@colonelkilgore Completely appreciate your POV on this one, and can imagine it was perhaps incredibly jarring to go from years of dodge-rolling to then adopting a parry playstyle to get through Sekiro. Sekiro was my first proper intro to FS games, and I feel quite fortunate in this regard because I never had to 'un-learn' the more conventional FS approaches.

Sekiro and Elden Ring make me really excited for what the future output from FS... I'd love to see them dabble with a completely new IP. Or at worst, I'd happily settle for Sekiro 2

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 oh I’d be well up for a Sekiro 2 if it was on the agenda, regardless of my troubles with parrying. It was still my game of… 2019 was it 🤔, maybe 2020?

Having said that though if I could have my ‘gaming-wish’ it would be a Bloodborne 2 for sure.

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore So I got the "Castlevania Requiem" collection having never played "Rondo" before - how the heck do you beat the reaper at the top of the ship? Those bloody flying scythes are chopping me to bits!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

colonelkilgore

@LN78 mate!!!! There were a few bosses I felt like that about tbh. Just pepper him with your special (diagonal-up + attack) and mash attack while you move from platform to platform to knock out the flying scythes.

It’s only been a week but I’ve forgotten the order of bosses… have you fought the ‘boss-rush’ yet?

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore I haven't done the boss rush yet but I'm loving the game - the proper old school "just one more go" factor is pretty high - more than enough to counterbalance the frustration. 'SotN' is a cakewalk by comparison.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic