Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 5,041 to 5,060 of 5,081

nessisonett

@Gremio108 That’s pretty dead on with my thoughts on V as well. I couldn’t see it through to the end cause of that second half. The gameplay’s good yeah but it can be a bit too big at times and yes, Quiet is an utter embarrassment despite the actress clearly trying very hard. It has potential for sure but I personally think it needed more of a substantial ‘back to the drawing board’ approach than just adding the missing chapters like some people suggest.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz @Th3solution Yeah, as much as I adored Detroit (and do love replaying my favourite games from time to time), I couldn't imagine starting up a second, alternate playthrough right away, let alone the third, fourth or fifth needed to see every possible eventuality. It's wonderful that it can be so sprawling and so unique to each individual player, but when I was done, I was done.

I think I know the outcome of the mystery in Heavy Rain. It might've popped up in a video I was watching or something, so I'm a little worried that I'll start the game, remember it and then feel like I'm just going through the motions for the rest of the playthrough.

@Gremio108 Say it ain't so, Gremio!

In all honesty, as much as I adore the game, I can't argue with any of your points. There is one final, beautiful revelation waiting for you on the other side of all those re-used missions, as well as a few nice moments scattered between them, but you shouldn't force yourself through an experience you're not enjoying to see it (not when the relevant cutscene is free on YouTube). Its context might help reduce the plot from "bobbins" to "barely coherent" but it's not gonna reverse your opinion.

And I do really like Kiefer Sutherland's performance, but that's largely because I like Kiefer Sutherland, and not because I think he's a better choice than David Hayter. There's a moment where they could get away with justifying the change, but don't bother, and it's a hugely missed opportunity.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I had the identity of the killer in Heavy Rain spoiled for me (thanks OPM), and still enjoyed the game. It was a couple years until I played the game and I kept second guessing if my memory was right. The controls aren't as refined in Detroit so may take awhile gettingnused to them.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@jdv95 Yeah and they even had a screenshot of the killer, so even if you didn't read it wouldn't have been hard to put 2 and 2 together.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Gremio108

@nessisonett @RogerRoger Yep, I just can't do it. Blaming Kojima's rift with Konami almost feels like a cop out of sorts. Part of me wonders whether Koj knew he had lost it, and used that as an excuse to bail.

I think I'd like Sutherland's performance more if he actually had amything to do. It seems odd to acquire such a big name and use him so little.

Roger, the only thing that's stopping me from watching the game out in youtube is that it would mean crossing the un-crossable line. Once I've done that, I'm never going to finish it. It irks me that I played all the other Metal Gear Solids but didn't manage this one. But then, it's unfinished, so maybe it's fitting. I don't know. I'll have to think on it!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I got spoiled as to who the killer was immediately after playing the chapter with the baby. Needless to say I was so disheartened I didn’t play the rest of the game.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

KilloWertz

@nessisonett Quiet would have been a great character... if handled by anybody but Kojima. I'm not one of the people that likes to hate on Kojima as I understand why so many people think he's great, but if I remember correctly, she was just basically a sex object even though that's not what the character was even supposed to be really in the story. Have her be the troubled bad ass that she was supposed to be and the game would have been much improved regardless of re-used missions because she was such a big deal in the second half. At least that's how I remember taking the character back when the game was released.

That sucks about Heavy Rain since it was a really good game, but I understand being upset about getting it spoiled enough to not want to finish it at the time. Maybe revisit it sometime in the near future? Somehow I managed to avoid getting it spoiled and don't remember who the killer is now. I plan on replaying it at some point next year.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz

Kidfried

@Gremio108 Just my reply to this discussion about MGS V:

• An abandoned game. I actually still appreciate the state the game is in. With all the tapes in there, it is very much possible to piece together what the game could have been. To me, I appreciate that they left all that in there, instead of leaving it out entirely, and leave the fans waiting for the definitive resolution of the story. Personally I didn't hate the second part anyway, because I liked the game mechanically enough to keep me entertained. For me, the game is more special this way, but I'm probably just weird.
  • Quiet is problematic in many ways. She also is a character that fits so well with the themes of the game, works really well at some points and Joosten's performance was amazing. If Kojima had shown some restraint, or if some of the people he was working with could have convinced him, she would have gone down as one of the series' most beloved characters. Yeah, I'm just very conflicted on the subject.
  • I agree with the sentiment that Sutherland could have worked way better, if the game had given him some space to develop his own interpretation. This seems like a great misunderstanding of acting within audiovisual media. It didn't bother me personally, but I totally understand the critique.

Also, it's one of the best game and you should still try and finish it!

Kidfried

Kidfried

Heavy Rain at its release was brilliant and lame in almost equal measures. I'd say it was more brilliant than lame. In 2021 though, it is hardly as impressive as it used to be, but it still is as lame or even more lame. I can't recommend the game to anyone anymore. I think so many games now have surpassed the cinematic experience and storytelling.

Not unlike Alan Wake by the way. Which also blew me away at launch, but I'll never touch it again!

I might say the same about Metal Gear Solid V ten years from now, though. But as of 2021, I'm still waiting for a brilliant and fun immersive open world stealth game.

Kidfried

colonelkilgore

@Gremio108 gutted to hear that as I love MGSV so much… but I do get it. That second act is not what I’d imagine Kojima had planned and did feel a real let down in fairness. What kept me motivated was going for the platinum though. S ranking some of those harder difficulty mission re-treads was a proper challenge and kept me fully engaged.

It’s probably because I played it first… but it’s still my favourite of the series.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

smells like… victory!!!!

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Good to know you still enjoyed Heavy Rain, despite those dingbats at OPM spoiling its central mystery for you. Unfortunately all this conversation has done is refresh said spoiler in my mind, so I'll wait a little longer before giving it a shot, methinks!

@Gremio108 Well, it is widely known that Kojima wanted MGS4 to be the end of the series, and it even took some contractual convincing to get him there, as well, so you're not wrong.

With full respect of your position regarding watching the ending on YouTube, do you really think a third playthrough attempt would end any differently? Hasn't this latest swing-and-a-miss just underscored the reality that the game isn't for you, and that you're never gonna finish it?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Kidfried @RogerRoger Excellent points from both, cheers guys. You two are like the angel and the devil on my shoulders while my conscience wrestles with the temptation of simply watching the game out on youtube. Which makes you the devil in this scenario, Roger, I'm afraid

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

Gremio108 wrote:

Which makes you the devil in this scenario, Roger, I'm afraid

I've been called worse.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I'm currently playing through the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy and am already waist-deep in the third game, but I just wanted to go back and acknowledge how utterly brilliant the "Cold Darkness Awakened" DLC was in Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's the most overlooked of the game's narrative additions (after one got integrated into the story, and another featured Croft Manor) and, on paper, feels like it should be the worst, but recently rediscovering its atmosphere and tense gameplay was a proper treat, zombies an' all. Proof that you should never judge a game's DLC by its key art.

Making It So Since 1987

Keith_Zissou

@RogerRoger I still haven’t got round to this, I definitely plan on doing so based on your appraisal. The trophy for all tombs glitched on me so I ditched the game after completion and sulked.

Edited on by Keith_Zissou

The concept of absurdity is something I'm attracted to.

PSN: Bundersvessel

RogerRoger

@Keith_Zissou That's always annoying. You have my sympathies, because the same thing happened to me with Shadow shortly after its launch. I worked super-hard to try and 100% all the maps and one of them glitched out. I had every collectible, had completed every single thing to do, and it still said I was only 99.8% complete. The trophies for the challenge modes in Rise (of which "Cold Darkness Awakened" is one) are annoying as well because, even if you accomplish their requirements, they won't pop unless you've pre-applied the corresponding challenge card to your playthrough. It's a real fiddle, and really bizarre.

But separate from all that, the gameplay is outstanding and yes, highly recommended. It probably steals a bunch of stuff from other games (even though I haven't played The Last of Us, I have a feeling it's also all about sound-sensitive zombies) but the execution is sublime, and works really well with the game's focus on foraging and survival. The factory shutdown puzzles are also really neat, and unique to the series, with Ashly Burch feeding you instructions from a manual as you work.

It's so not Tomb Raider, but that's what makes it such a brilliant addition to a Tomb Raider game, and a lovely surprise to discover tacked on to an already-huge adventure.

Making It So Since 1987

Keith_Zissou

@RogerRoger mate, that sucks. At least there’s so much more going on despite the glitches. Great series if a little derivative of things weirdly inspired by tomb raider. I’m going to jump back into them soon, Cold Darkness et al, I’ll let you know how I fare.

The concept of absurdity is something I'm attracted to.

PSN: Bundersvessel

RogerRoger

@Keith_Zissou Funnily enough, between mentioning it the other day and then you replying today, a very kind friend helped me figure out where my Shadow playthrough had gone wrong, because they'd platinumed the game and encountered a similar issue along the way. Turns out either A: one of the subsequent updates had fixed the problem, or B: I'd simply missed some stuff and my subconscious concocted the "glitch" story to make myself feel better. Let's be honest, it was probably the latter.

But none of the games were ever the most stable at launch. Perhaps you'll be able to reload your old save and the trophy will pop? Regardless, you're right, there's still plenty to love. Hope you enjoy getting back to them and yeah, would love to read your thoughts as and when!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger @Keith_Zissou Funnily enough the first Tomb Raider reboot game I experienced a glitched cheevo on 360 for picking up all the collectables. I think I searched through all the locations a couple of times with a guide before giving up. Kinda soured the experience for me slightly and put me off going the extra mile for Trophies/Achievements since that happened.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic