Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 5,021 to 5,040 of 6,461

KilloWertz

@nessisonett Quiet would have been a great character... if handled by anybody but Kojima. I'm not one of the people that likes to hate on Kojima as I understand why so many people think he's great, but if I remember correctly, she was just basically a sex object even though that's not what the character was even supposed to be really in the story. Have her be the troubled bad ass that she was supposed to be and the game would have been much improved regardless of re-used missions because she was such a big deal in the second half. At least that's how I remember taking the character back when the game was released.

That sucks about Heavy Rain since it was a really good game, but I understand being upset about getting it spoiled enough to not want to finish it at the time. Maybe revisit it sometime in the near future? Somehow I managed to avoid getting it spoiled and don't remember who the killer is now. I plan on replaying it at some point next year.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Kidfried

@Gremio108 Just my reply to this discussion about MGS V:

• An abandoned game. I actually still appreciate the state the game is in. With all the tapes in there, it is very much possible to piece together what the game could have been. To me, I appreciate that they left all that in there, instead of leaving it out entirely, and leave the fans waiting for the definitive resolution of the story. Personally I didn't hate the second part anyway, because I liked the game mechanically enough to keep me entertained. For me, the game is more special this way, but I'm probably just weird.
  • Quiet is problematic in many ways. She also is a character that fits so well with the themes of the game, works really well at some points and Joosten's performance was amazing. If Kojima had shown some restraint, or if some of the people he was working with could have convinced him, she would have gone down as one of the series' most beloved characters. Yeah, I'm just very conflicted on the subject.
  • I agree with the sentiment that Sutherland could have worked way better, if the game had given him some space to develop his own interpretation. This seems like a great misunderstanding of acting within audiovisual media. It didn't bother me personally, but I totally understand the critique.

Also, it's one of the best game and you should still try and finish it!

Kidfried

Kidfried

Heavy Rain at its release was brilliant and lame in almost equal measures. I'd say it was more brilliant than lame. In 2021 though, it is hardly as impressive as it used to be, but it still is as lame or even more lame. I can't recommend the game to anyone anymore. I think so many games now have surpassed the cinematic experience and storytelling.

Not unlike Alan Wake by the way. Which also blew me away at launch, but I'll never touch it again!

I might say the same about Metal Gear Solid V ten years from now, though. But as of 2021, I'm still waiting for a brilliant and fun immersive open world stealth game.

Kidfried

colonelkilgore

@Gremio108 gutted to hear that as I love MGSV so much… but I do get it. That second act is not what I’d imagine Kojima had planned and did feel a real let down in fairness. What kept me motivated was going for the platinum though. S ranking some of those harder difficulty mission re-treads was a proper challenge and kept me fully engaged.

It’s probably because I played it first… but it’s still my favourite of the series.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Good to know you still enjoyed Heavy Rain, despite those dingbats at OPM spoiling its central mystery for you. Unfortunately all this conversation has done is refresh said spoiler in my mind, so I'll wait a little longer before giving it a shot, methinks!

@Gremio108 Well, it is widely known that Kojima wanted MGS4 to be the end of the series, and it even took some contractual convincing to get him there, as well, so you're not wrong.

With full respect of your position regarding watching the ending on YouTube, do you really think a third playthrough attempt would end any differently? Hasn't this latest swing-and-a-miss just underscored the reality that the game isn't for you, and that you're never gonna finish it?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Kidfried @RogerRoger Excellent points from both, cheers guys. You two are like the angel and the devil on my shoulders while my conscience wrestles with the temptation of simply watching the game out on youtube. Which makes you the devil in this scenario, Roger, I'm afraid

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

Gremio108 wrote:

Which makes you the devil in this scenario, Roger, I'm afraid

I've been called worse.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I'm currently playing through the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy and am already waist-deep in the third game, but I just wanted to go back and acknowledge how utterly brilliant the "Cold Darkness Awakened" DLC was in Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's the most overlooked of the game's narrative additions (after one got integrated into the story, and another featured Croft Manor) and, on paper, feels like it should be the worst, but recently rediscovering its atmosphere and tense gameplay was a proper treat, zombies an' all. Proof that you should never judge a game's DLC by its key art.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Keith_Zissou That's always annoying. You have my sympathies, because the same thing happened to me with Shadow shortly after its launch. I worked super-hard to try and 100% all the maps and one of them glitched out. I had every collectible, had completed every single thing to do, and it still said I was only 99.8% complete. The trophies for the challenge modes in Rise (of which "Cold Darkness Awakened" is one) are annoying as well because, even if you accomplish their requirements, they won't pop unless you've pre-applied the corresponding challenge card to your playthrough. It's a real fiddle, and really bizarre.

But separate from all that, the gameplay is outstanding and yes, highly recommended. It probably steals a bunch of stuff from other games (even though I haven't played The Last of Us, I have a feeling it's also all about sound-sensitive zombies) but the execution is sublime, and works really well with the game's focus on foraging and survival. The factory shutdown puzzles are also really neat, and unique to the series, with Ashly Burch feeding you instructions from a manual as you work.

It's so not Tomb Raider, but that's what makes it such a brilliant addition to a Tomb Raider game, and a lovely surprise to discover tacked on to an already-huge adventure.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Keith_Zissou Funnily enough, between mentioning it the other day and then you replying today, a very kind friend helped me figure out where my Shadow playthrough had gone wrong, because they'd platinumed the game and encountered a similar issue along the way. Turns out either A: one of the subsequent updates had fixed the problem, or B: I'd simply missed some stuff and my subconscious concocted the "glitch" story to make myself feel better. Let's be honest, it was probably the latter.

But none of the games were ever the most stable at launch. Perhaps you'll be able to reload your old save and the trophy will pop? Regardless, you're right, there's still plenty to love. Hope you enjoy getting back to them and yeah, would love to read your thoughts as and when!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger @Keith_Zissou Funnily enough the first Tomb Raider reboot game I experienced a glitched cheevo on 360 for picking up all the collectables. I think I searched through all the locations a couple of times with a guide before giving up. Kinda soured the experience for me slightly and put me off going the extra mile for Trophies/Achievements since that happened.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Urgh, that's never nice. It's not like Tomb Raider (2013) is the biggest game or anything, but it's just complex enough to make that 100% achievement more than a passing fancy. I'm usually quite lucky with such things, but you've still got my sympathies!

@Keith_Zissou It's remarkable how much I used to dislike trophies, and then I became sorta ambivalent towards them, and now I kinda like 'em. When you've set your sights on a particular platinum, there's nothing worse than hitting a brick wall, especially one caused by a random glitch. It can make some games way more stressful than they need to be. I think it's why I enjoy going back and playing on older systems, where trophies simply aren't a thing. It's like being on vacation!

Making It So Since 1987

N1ghtW1ng

I haven't been posting lately. I'm nearing the end of my current course, and I hope to be a freelance data analyst by mid-December. This has kept me busy for the last month or so.

Anyways, I recently finished The Sexy Brutale. It's a delightful, albeit simple, indie puzzle game. The gameplay is really basic to be honest. It's akin to the old point-and-click adventure games from the late 80s and 90s. I'm pretty sure that for the PC version of the game, you direct your player character in the same way.

The puzzles were not that difficult, although there were a few times where I was left scratching my head thinking about where to go next. It wasn't a long game, and I even managed to earn the platinum trophy for it.

I'm currently battling my way through Resident Evil 2 Remake. I started this way back in April, but I just don't know why, it's been stop-start in terms of progression ever since. I keep finding myself gravitating towards other games as I play through RE2R and as a result, I simply forget about it.

I also just started Enter the Gungeon. I love the gameplay and the visual art style of the game. Also, the rogue-like element of the game is addictive. I find it to be the perfect game to play for me, as I can start or continue my run at the end of each day after finishing my studies for the day.

Edited on by N1ghtW1ng

Performance > Resolution
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

PSN: Ra33z_19

sorteddan

@N1ghtW1ng
Good to know. I've been tempted by the Sexy Brutale a few times when I've noticed it in sales but never taken the plunge. But short and easy and obtainable plat is what I need more of.

And as to the Gungeon, well I stated on many threads around here now much I love that freakin game. One of my favourites of recent years for sure. Keep plugging away and I hope you'll get hooked and discover how good it gets and stumble upon its many secrets.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

N1ghtW1ng

@Sorteddan

Just a heads up if you do purchase The Sexy Brutale. The game has 2 sets of collectibles; 9 Guest Invitations and 52 Playing Cards. You can easily keep track of the Guest Invitations as there are only 9 of them. However the game, quite strangely, does not keep track of the Playing Cards that you have found.

I would suggest keeping a written list, and adding each Playing Card that you have found to list as you collect them. I had to watch a few videos on YouTube to find about 5 cards that I didn't collect through my initial run. Fortunately, once you complete the game, you can free roam throughout the entire locale, so there aren't any missable collectibles.

As for Enter the Gungeon, I managed to beat the Tank boss on Level 3, and I made to the boss for Level 4, the Kill Pillars. I got my backside handed to me, and my run with The Marine came to an end. I'm still enjoying it though.

Performance > Resolution

colonelkilgore

Started Borderlands 2 this morning and really liking it. Not really an FPS nor a looter-shooter type of guy really but it’s just super playable.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho I went Gunzerker… i liked the name and it seemed like it would be a fun one to play. Having said that though, I have taken to sniping a few head shots before I go in guns blazing as the sniper-rifles are just so powerful. Then I whip the shotty out when I’m in amongst it. Hopefully I’ll unlock a third weapon slot soon as I really need an assault rifle on hand for the ‘tweener’ range.

**** DLC!

N1ghtW1ng

@demiraali

I started playing Doom (2016) over a week ago. I think it's the first time I have played a Doom game since Doom II in 2000. I'm not massive fan of FPS games, but so far it's not so bad. The aesthetics are a bit washed out in terms of colour, but then again, I've only seen the first level.

Why do you say that Doom: Eternal is one of the best games you've played?

Performance > Resolution

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore Nice, that’s what I went with when I played on PS3. Running in with dual rocket launchers against a boss can be pretty handy! It can also help to have weapons with different abilities, ie one for taking down shields and another to do damage, rather than constantly switching.

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic