Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 4,041 to 4,060 of 6,460

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Just mentioning you now as I said I would for my playthrough of this game. Biomutant is a large colorful world with a diverse, mythological ecosystem, you can fully customize your character at the beginning of the game and combat and exploration are solid. Based on the first hour - well-worth picking up.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I appreciate the feedback on RE4. Does it have difficulty options? The remake games have an easy setting (I think called ‘assist’) where ammo is typically in ample supply or at least enemies go down with fewer shots anyways. Although even playing on easy I had to run past many a zombie to conserve ammo. The easy setting also had a little auto health regeneration over time so that even if you get into the red, if you can run away for a minute you’ll regenerate at least to yellow level health. For me, the games were tense enough due to the horror aspects that I played the first run on easy and it made it really enjoyable for me.

I actually bought RE4 already in a bundle with RE5 and RE6 when there was a sale recently. All three games were cheaper than just RE4 by itself 😄. I’ve heard 5 and especially 6 are less well thought of, but I think they are more like third person shooters with plenty of ammo rather than the survival type of gameplay of the older games where you have to ration the ammo, so maybe look into those entries if the series still interests you.

Bound is a very artsy game - I’d describe as a 3D platformer. The catch is that you play as a dancer, so the move-set is very elegant and unique. I’m not an expert but it’s a little like a modern dance and classic ballet type dancer feeling to the protagonist. There is no shooting or combat per se, but there are enemies and you have to hit buttons to dance or perform some acrobatic type artistic moves in order to ward off attacks. It’s hard to explain, but it feels a little bit like watching Cirque du Soleil, complete with sliding down ribbons and twirling like those performers do. It’s a cool idea, but definitely not for everyone. Many people will probably find it boring. If you’ve played Journey or Abzu then it’s slightly in that wheelhouse, although still different in its own way.

As for Control, I do think you might get along with it, although it’s nothing like Dark Souls. The gameplay is shooting based but also with “force powers” (for lack of a better term) where you can grab objects via a telekinesis power and fling them at enemies as well. You also eventually get the ability to levitate, so that plays a factor into combat and platforming. The gameplay is pretty unique. The shooting is not quite cover-based though, because you’ll be swarmed if you just try to hide behind cover and really have to move to survive, but I do spend a good bit of time utilizing cover and mixing thing up with more kinetic movement to dodge and run around during combat. One good thing you’ll like probably is that you don’t have to pick up ammo. If you are annoyed at that mechanic, no need to worry because ammo is constantly regenerating so you essentially have infinite ammo. Your clip will run out though and you’ll need to dodge or alternate using your force powers while the ammo fills back up. But if you alter your combat moves you’ve always got something to assault the enemy with, if you can get into a rhythm. I’d say the shooting is pretty solid, and on par with any other third person shooter. You have some defensive skills too, like a shield and a really nice dodge move. Difficulty-wise, I’d say it’s medium (not easy, but not hard. There aren’t difficulty settings). I’m not a very skilled gamer and I got the platinum. I do die regularly and a couple of the optional bosses had me pretty frustrated and I had to retry them several times, a la DS. The game is plentiful with its save points though, so even dying doesn’t put you too far back. It’s definitely not Dark Souls, it’s combat is more frantic than that and the game world is more forgiving, but it’s fun. The story is pretty strange and confusing, but I like it. Maybe if I can compare it to other games I’ve played I’d say gameplay is a little bit like ‘Uncharted meets DOOM meets Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’. I absolutely love it. One of my favorite games this last year. However, I’m playing on PS5 and apparently the PS4 version runs pretty poorly with a lot of frame rate issues during heavy combat. There is tons of particle effects and moving objects on screen and it pushes poor little PS4 to its limit, so beware of that if you decide to try it. (If memory serves, you haven’t upgraded to PS5 yet have you?)

Edit: I guess there is an assist mode in Comtrol. I must have missed that. I didn’t really go into the setting where it must apparently be hidden.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution RE4 does give you difficulty options, but like you, outside of the Souls games and Souls-likes like Fallen Order, and well, outside of RPGs in general, I'm not the greatest gamer either. I would like to try Control, but, no, I haven't upgraded yet to PS5, and when I do, Demon's Souls will obviously be first on my hitlist, I advise you, again, to give Dark Souls 3 a go before Demon's Souls. @nessisonett has told me that DeS is the easiest entry in the series though, so it might ,on the other hand be worth playing it from his perspective. However, I ,personally found DS3 much easier than Demon's Souls on PS3, I was never able to beat that game, didn't getvery far with it at all. And that, my friend, is due to the frankly sparse number of save points in DeS, whereas in DS3 there are bonfires (akin to Bloodborne's lamps) practically everywhere, DeS and Bloodborne have roughly the same spacing in terms of check-points, so factor that into your decision as well as you were able to beat Bloodborne. Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think you can level up before the first boss in DeS, but you can't do that in DS3, but in DS3 it's worth it, it's a real gauntlet to run but beating the first boss lets you level up and then it's smooth sailing. With Bloodborne under your belt, I reckon you could beat the first boss of DS3 and level up, but, if you're still worrying about it, go with ness and get DeS, let me know how you get on with whichever game you take the plunge with.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution It also depends how much you want to employ cheesing in your playthrough. You can't really cheese the basic enemies in DeS like you can in Bloodborne, as you can't really run past them, you pretty much have to fight your way to each save-point/boss, and if you die to the boss you go back to the beginning of the level and have to fight your way to the boss, potentially only to die again, unless you have unlocked a shortcut and not every area, if I remember correctly, has a shortcut in DeS, therefore, again, I make the case for DS3 with it's multiple save-points per level.

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I see that DeS has finally gone on sale this week, so maybe I’ll take the plunge. But I have a few games lined up and since Returnal is supposedly intense and difficult, I probably will need a break after that before taking on a Souls game. I have to see how it goes. If/when I jump in DS3 or DeS (or RE4) then I’ll tag you with thoughts. Lately I’ve been making such slow progress in general though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

MaulTsir

Been away for about 2 weeks with holidays ans such so not much gaming the last 14 days but...
Started Tomb Raider (2013) and man how did I skip this game I've been enjoying it so much, its aged pretty well and even though Lara has been stabbed about 90 times and fell of heights higher than everest its self I'm the one suffering from arthritis I think while she runs on fine and dandy.

But yeah I'm really enjoying it, it does have an undoubtedly uncharted feel to it but with more exploring and seeing Lara at the beginning of her journey from vulnerable archaeologist to bad arse heroine is a good character arc.

I binned off Persona 5 I know its very popular in here but after about 12 hours I just got bored of all the reading and go here and then go there and then shut the shop and then dream and then go to school and then ask a question to a pupil who hates you, mabye I should of give it more time but I just felt that their is alot of games calling name.

Picked up Assasins Creed Oddesy Definitive Edition on ps sale so gonna start along side my Tomb Raider Trilogy playthrough.

MaulTsir

TraCuz-

@Th3solution @TheBrandedSwordsman How are you two doing? I haven't been too active lately feels like forever since we had a chat

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer my bad for bringing up Ashen in the Biomutant thread... didn’t want to clog it up so relocated it to here.

So yeah, I agree totally it is a great game and a souls-like of the highest order. It is a little short (shorter than most souls-likes anyway) but not in a bad way. The best thing I can say is that it is the first souls-like for gawd-knows how long that evoked that classic ‘souls-ian ‘anxiety’ on a long journey between Ritual Stones (bonfires). If it’s one issue that I have with Dark Souls 2 and especially Dark Souls 3, is that there are far too many bonfires dotted around. There were a fair few moments in Ashen where I was getting pretty ‘desperate’ for a Ritual Stone tbh.

As I mentioned, I still have to beat the final boss and play the whole thing through again on the unlockable harder difficulty (which I reckon will be tough!) but it’s a very high quality game for a first time developer.

Tagging @TheBrandedSwordsman as I know you wouldn’t want to miss out on any souls chat. I’m yet to play every souls-like (I have a few queued up in the backlog) but my personal ranking would be ‘something’ like this.

1. Bloodborne
2. Demons Souls
3. Dark Souls
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Nioh
6. Ashen
7. The Surge
8. Dark Souls 2
9. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
10. Code Vein
11. Immortal: Unchained
12. Lords of the Fallen

I personally don’t consider Sekiro to be a Souls-like but wouldn’t have a problem with people who do. If I had to include it I would probably slot it in at around 5.

The ones I’m yet to play (that I own, there might be a couple of others which I haven’t picked up yet) are Demons Souls Remastered, Nioh 2 (and the two PS5 remasters), The Surge 2, Mortal Shell and Chronos before the Ashes.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore that’s a nice list! I’m surprised not to see Remnant on there. You talking about it in the forums actually got me quite interested. I’ve yet to try The Surge or Fallen Order yet. They both look intriguing to me. I currently have an unusual amount of games on the go/partly finished so once I get my gaming situation back within reason I’d like to give a few of those a try.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer Remnant was awesome (definitely my favourite game so far this year) but I’d never class it as a souls-like. First and foremost it’s a co-op looter-shooter with a smattering of souls-like elements. I’d suggest anyone to give it a go, it’s as tight a third-person shooter as I’ve played.

I really enjoyed The Surge and I’ve only heard from reliable sources that The Surge 2 is a massive improvement over the original. In regards to the original, once you make some decent progress, the build variety is phenomenal, can’t wait to see how they’ve expanded on that in particular. I’d definitely consider it underrated and anyone who enjoyed the sub-genre should consider giving it a go.

Fallen Order was good but I actually found myself having to ‘force’ myself to plough on with it... can’t quite put my finger on why but it didn’t provide the scratch to the souls itch as consistently as a lot of the others... for me at least.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I might jump in on The Surge 2 then when I’m ready! I’m not a huge Star Wars fan so I might end up skipping that one all together but might be worth a go at a good price.

Also tagging @TheBrandedSwordsman here as I see the rumour mill is churning again in regards to Elden Ring. Supposedly a reveal of some kind is imminent.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer well if you do so, definitely let me know how you get on.

Also, don’t let me put you off of SW:JFO. It didn’t necessarily hit all the right spots with me but the vast majority of people really enjoyed it... and even though I only ‘liked’ it, I’ll certainly play the sequel.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

Gremio108 wrote:

But [playing Detroit: Become Human] is probably another case of PS Plus nudging me towards a game I might have otherwise let slip by.

@Gremio108 Same here; I claimed the game (one of the few I actually bothered to) thanks to a happy happenstance of some positive word-of-mouth and a gap in my backlog. Almost all PS Plus games pass me by, and I doubt Detroit would've been something I paid money for... which would've been my loss, as I thoroughly enjoyed (most of) the game. Glad to hear you did, too!

@MaulTsir Hurrah for the Tomb Raider reboot! Methinks it'll continue to age well, thanks to its pacing, balanced gameplay and distinctive visuals, so I'd say it's never too late to discover it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@MaulTsir I replayed Tomb Raider (2013) earlier in the month as it goes. Really good game and I’m quite excited to play the sequels when I can find the time. They might miss out (a bit) on the just blockbuster-ness of the Uncharted series but they’re better games for sure. I came to the series late too, glad you finally stumbled upon them though.

Also, I’m a big fan of AC: Odyssey.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@TraCuz- Doing well, my friend. Just navigating a world in never ending crisis. Otherwise, trying to do a little video gaming between moments of sheer trepidation. 😜

How ‘bout you? What you been playing?

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Thanks for the tag, I think that is a good ranking system but, alas, there are many Souls fans who disdain Bloodborne for not being a "true" Souls game @Jimmer-jammer Yeah I am hoping for a reveal soon, the rumor mill is certainly currently churning at high velocity!

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah everyone likes and dislikes different things... and I'm open to each and all opinions... apart from Bloodborne-hate. Even I have to draw the line somewhere! 🤣

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman @colonelkilgore Yeah to put it bluntly, those people are idiots! Surely, there would be only 4 games on the list it only included 'true Souls' games? Which would be a way less interesting list.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MaulTsir

@RogerRoger Yeah I think it will be a game that can be played for a long time to come, I certainly would recommend it to anyone who had doubts about its age, its just refreshing to play a game that it paced really well, the action and world exploring keeps the story moving forward and it never feels like I'm just dredging through, even the secret tombs are mainly on your way to the next point so I've never felt like their a burden to do them I've throughly enjoyed the experience.

@colonelkilgore I remember when it first come one Tomb Raider (2013) and I just thought nah been there and done that but I was so wrong, I can't believe I've let them slip through for so long just really a fun game to play.

I was a big fan of the original assasins creed and I played the first 3 but after that I fell away from them, lost interest in the story and the games all felt a bit repetitive, the last one I played was the one during the American revolution and you play as a guy called Connor I believe, but I picked up Origins last year and put some serious hours in to it during the first lockdown and really enjoyed it so looking forward to continuing the journey, I would say this however about these new Assassins Creed games I'm my opinion they would be so much better if they were just about these people and cut all that animous bull crap out.

MaulTsir

JohnnyShoulder

@MaulTsir I agree with on AC, I've always disliked the present day and sci-fi aspects of the games. The historic settings and stories are good enough imo to hold their own.

Glad you are enjoying your time with Tomb Raider, I really enjoyed the trilogy. The first one had my favourite story out of the three games, and the third had the best gameplay and tombs of the three. It will be interesting to see what they do next with the series, there is supposed to be some kind of announcement this year.

Hope you had a nice holiday, did you go anywhere nice?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic