Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 3,981 to 4,000 of 6,458

RogerRoger

@Thrillho I wasn't gonna say anything because I knew who you meant, but yeah, I'd have been far happier if it'd been Nolan North showing up in Miles Morales. That being said, if there's one type of personality Troy Baker can accurately and effectively convey, it's being a smarmy douchebag.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the extra details! I actually quite like the idea of regularity, and watching long videos in twenty-minute chunks whilst I eat. I'm not a podcast kinda guy, so YouTube will do fine. I'm currently watching an elite playthrough of some old Hitman games but, once I'm done with that, I'll go looking and will let you know if I connect with 'em!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Get those claws back in Rog! šŸ˜‚

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

Started Last of Us Factions tonight, I figured now is as good a time as any to try and get the MP trophies before they (eventually) launch Last of Us 2 Factions. Iā€™m not that big into MP anyway and this seems a little more deep/strategic than most. Still, think I started to get the drift by the end of the session.

Just gonna chip away at it with an hour here and an hour there for the next couple of months. Ideal world, Iā€™ll get the Mp trophies out of the way and then try and plat TLoU before playing TLoU2 in November.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer started Ashen this morning, lovely little game fair play. Itā€™s obviously not as in depth and polished as Dark Souls etc but plays well and is beautiful to look at and listen to.

Tagging @TheBrandedSwordsman @Th3solution you guys too as TBS I know you love the Souls games and I figured you may well enjoy this the next time youā€™re hankering after some souls-like goodness... and Sol, I know youā€™re always on the verge of dipping your toe... this could be a great entry point back into the genre. I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s ā€˜particularlyā€™ easier, shorter by all accounts but still poses a decent challenge. It is considerably more serene and chilled though, something I think is quite the opposite to the feel of the Souls games.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Thanks for the recommendation and Iā€™ll keep it in mind. I have noticed the game on the storefronts and thought it looked compelling. Good to know it holds up, perhaps as a miniature Souls experience.

Itā€™s ironic because I decided to continue on with Control and play the DLC, which is not usually my style. I typically donā€™t indulge in the expansion stuff and feel pressed to move on for most games. But I just canā€™t pull myself away from this game! But I did almost rage quit at the final boss for the AWE storyline. Oh man, did I get frustrated!
Iā€™ll spoiler tag my method just in case you havenā€™t done that yet, not that itā€™s really a spoiler, mind. I canā€™t remember if you said you did the DLC or not.
Finally beat him but I had to go and do a side quest to obtain the infinite ammo mod for the Grip and then it became pretty straightforward to just constantly pummel him so he couldnā€™t heal.
Anyways, my thoughts during the umteenth respawn to try to beat him was that I felt a little of that familiar feeling of banging my head against the wall of a Soulsborne boss. šŸ˜‚ And it didnā€™t feel good! But yes, I did get a rush when he finally went down. Not sure Iā€™m ready for the frustration, but Iā€™ll see. My plan had been to use Demonā€™s Souls as the gateway back into it, but Iā€™m waiting on a price drop. Looks like maybe Days of Play could offer that.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution you remember correctly, I havenā€™t played the dlc... I will do though eventually. Itā€™s just one of those ā€˜worldsā€™ where it itā€™s clicked with you, you want to know everything. Iā€™d be interested to hear how you rate Control against the other games youā€™ve played lately. I think I put it in my top 5 games that I played last year.

Yeah, now I remember you saying that Demons Souls Remaster would probably be the next Souls-like you try out... canā€™t argue with that either tbh. Iā€™ll be playing it later in the year myself as it goes.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore yeah it has a more, I donā€™t know, hopeful vibe to it. I especially liked watching the town get built and filled out. There are one or two dungeons that I found comparable to a Souls gameā€™s difficulty, and of course that final boss, but for the most part it is a lot easier than Dark Souls. The spear mechanic is really neat too! Glad youā€™re enjoying it!!

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer lol Iā€™m finding that out, Seat of the Matriarch is a legit dungeon... quite the difficulty spike šŸ¤£

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore No GS or UGS, thumbs down from me. All I have to say about Ashen. Thanks for thinking of me, though.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore thatā€™s the first one that sprung to mind! The length of it is no joke. The section with the six platforms and the tall guys...yeah. I found the game really started to pick up after that point.

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

Playing through Resident Evil Village now, making progress. At Castle Dimitrescu now.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer not gonna lie (& allowing for recency bias of course) but Seat of the Matriarch is up there for me in Souls-likeā€™s toughest areas. It might just be at what level you are when you take it on... but that was a genuine struggle.

Iā€™m through it now though so on to the next one...

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore nice work! For me, that was probably the hardest dungeon in the game. Thereā€™s another couple that are difficult but something about that one was just brutal...as I know you are a trophy hunter, I hope you donā€™t have the same trophy trouble I had. ā€˜Threads of Lightā€™ wouldnā€™t pop for me for some reason, and as it takes 10,000 scoria to equip each relic, I didnā€™t feel like grinding all that scoria to re-equip each one - again.

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer Iā€™ll keep that in mind about the relics, Iā€™ve had three so far... currently using Gefnā€™s Blessing. I did like the one which shot energy bolts every time you hit an enemy though. Might end up going back to that one.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Ya know, I have been trying to think about where Control fits in to the pantheon of Solā€™s favorite games and I reckon itā€™s pretty high. I have a list of top PS4 games that Iā€™ve put together and have reported on one or more threads on here with that topic. Iā€™d dig up the thread and modify it to include Control ā€” likely would be in my top 10, probably top 5 ā€” but technically speaking, Iā€™m playing it on PS5 and so I donā€™t think I can fairly put it on my PS4 list because part of the enjoyment has been the ray tracing, smooth frame rate, haptic triggers, and blistering fast load times. So... I donā€™t know. Itā€™s my favorite PS5 game, but thatā€™s a short list. However beating out Astrobotā€™s Playroom for that crown is no small feat because that game is utterly brilliant too.

So Iā€™m not sure where it fits all time for me. As for what Iā€™ve played over the last year, itā€™s top 5, but wow... I forgot how many awesome games I played in the last 12 months. It would probably go something like this:

1. Death Stranding (exactly one year ago)
2. God of War
3. Control
4. Resident Evil 2 Remake
5. Ghost of Tsushima
6. Astrobotā€™s Playroom
7. Persona 5
8. Danganronpa V3
9. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
10. Resident Evil 1 Remake

Thatā€™s some quality titles within the last year. And thatā€™s not even counting really great games like Valiant Hearts, Doom 2016, Hitman, and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune remaster. šŸ˜„

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution some great titles to be sure, I have only played around 6 or 7 but heard some good stuff about the others too.

Two things stood out to me... first is, it fills my heart with joy to see Death Stranding at the top. We've obviously chatted before about how much we both enjoyed it but it's actually surprising how often my mind drifts back to it. It probably drifts in at least once a day and the affection I have for it only grows.

The second is, that Ghost of Tsushima is only at 5. I am yet to play it (I have a week off at the start of July just for that) but with how gushing the reaction has generally been, the fact that it 'only' comes in at 5 on your best games of the last 12 months is a bit of an eye-opener (but in a good way). I'm actually a little concerned all of the unbridled positivity might have set my expectations a little high, so you may have levelled that out a little there.

And obviously Control at number 3, considering it did end up winning a few GotY gongs it still seems a little underrated/under-the-radar for a lot of people. Not a lot I could fault it on to be fair.

**** DLC!

Areus

I'am Currently Rotating Between Icewind Dale Dreamfall Chapters And Resident Evil Zero.

Areus

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Holy guacamole, buddy! You've had an outstanding calendar year there! Even though I haven't played very many of those games for myself, that reads like a GOAT list, not a GOTY ranking!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Iā€™ve actually felt a very similar vibe as Death Stranding while Iā€™ve played Control. From the wacky storyline to the light horror elements, and although the gameplay is completely different they each have an element unique from the standard fare out there. And I guess Kojima and Sam Lake both have a mad-scientist auteur vibe to their creative approach that draws comparisons.
I was actually surprised that it has only been a year since I played Death Stranding. I checked and a clocked my last trophy in June of 2020, but it seems like the last year has been an eternity. I do recall feeling an eerie irony during the largest lockdown of our lifetime, playing a game centered around all the NPCā€™s being holed up in their shelters cut off from society.

As for Ghost of Tsushima, I honestly loved the game wholeheartedly. But when you start making comparisons it just isnā€™t quite as transcendent as the titles above it, despite it being a more approachable type of game with the open world to get lost in. Itā€™s probably pretty neck-and-neck with RE2 on that list so I could easily switch the two positions and feel good having it at #4. But I edged RE2 slightly because of how pleasantly surprised I was at how the experience absorbed me. Like you were saying, expectations do color how you might end up feeling about a game, and since my expectations were so high with Ghost, it might subconsciously pull it down a wee bit in the end accounting. Fair or not to Sucker Punch, itā€™s human nature to have such prejudice I think. So itā€™s good that youā€™ll go into it more grounded in that regard, and realize that youā€™ll probably love it, but that it may not permeate your mind for months afterward like, say, a Death Stranding would. Thereā€™s not a prettier game on PS4, and the gameplay is rock solid, but I think the shortcomings are more in the narrative area. Which, again, is still fabulous, but doesnā€™t press the medium forward quite as much as the other titles mentioned. But itā€™s great comfort food for a rainy day when you need to wander an open world and collect things and do side quests while gradually revealing a story.

@RogerRoger Gaming-wise, last 12 months have been stellar, for sure. I think the end stage of PS4ā€™s life cycle contributed to the quality of what Iā€™ve played over the last year. The system being at full maturation leads itself to a huge library of top-shelf games to pull from. And I still have so many highly regarded PS4 games yet to play. Thank goodness that PS5 is backward compatible! šŸ˜„

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic