Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 3,961 to 3,980 of 6,460

HallowMoonshadow

Quite possibly @colonelkilgore as what sparked me trying God Eater the other day was watching some gameplay vids on Monster Hunter Rise on switch and liking what I saw.

Only thing about the MH games is they don't have any AI companions right? It seems like having other players is much more valuable in MH and I don't have PS+... Not that I feel the AI companions are incredibly useful in God Eater

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yeah you may be right... maybe it would be worth your while to sign up to PS+ for a month if and when you get around to starting MHW.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

You get the little cats who are AI controlled in MHW, @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy. Can't remember exactly what they do as only played it for 20 or so hours a couple of years back, but i think they can buff and heal you?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, the Palicoes in Monster Hunter World act as little AI companions if you’re playing solo.

As @JohnnyShoulder they can attack but also you can unlock different gear for them that have different effects. Later in the game you can also briefly recruit “wild” ones to help you too.

They’re not overpowered but act as a good distraction for monsters if you’re playing solo.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah the God Eater story makes Code Vein seem like Citizen Kane. Obviously the gameplay is better but oh man, I found myself skipping cutscenes after about 5 hours in 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

crimsontadpoles

Palico are useful cat companions in the Monster Hunter games. They can heal you and attack, depending on what type they are.

Monster Hunter Rise is even better for AI companions, as they also have Palamutes. They're doggies that attack the monster. Hunters can also ride on them, making it quick to get around. Plus you can drink potions or sharpen weapons while riding on them. And they're very good boys.

I'm generally a solo player with Monster Hunter, but it's probably more fun if you're playing with friends.

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Despite pre-ordering it and being very aware of it, and even structuring some of my backlog to lead me back towards sci-fi and whatnot, the Mass Effect remaster crept up on me last week, too! Had a mid-week moment where I suddenly went, "Oh yeah! It's out on Friday!"

Is the voice acting in God Eater enjoyably bad, or just bad? Here's hoping it's the former, and that you've been able to laugh more than cringe. The story sounds bananas!

@colonelkilgore Whilst I've only seen a fraction of the trilogy thusfar, it's clear that the Legendary Edition is the new gold standard for experiencing Mass Effect. If you're planning a return to the games then you're absolutely right, this is the way to do it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Cheers @JohnnyShoulder, @Thrillho & @crimsontadpoles for all the info about Monster Hunter! Very useful indeed

I really wouldn't mind a port of MH:Rise to PS4 as those palamute doggos look so SO useful for traversal... And adorable to boot!

And I actually quite liked pretty much all the story beats and characters in Code Vein too @nessisonett

The characters in GE aren't too bad or anything... and I appreciate it trying to have a more meaningful plot beyond "giant monsters slaughtering everything, you go murder them" but yeah... I don't blame you for skipping scenes (Which I wasn't actually aware you could do!)

Other then Alisa's PTSD moments that just end up coming across pretty narmy rather then serious @RogerRoger.

I'd say the voice acting's pretty competent for what it is and there's a lot of well established VA's here... They're unfortunately just working with a terrible script/plot.

Yuri Lowenthal for example is basically voicing a slightly more chatty and not as melodramatic Sasuke (at the moment at least) with his character "Soma"

I take it that the photo mode in Mass Effect is going to get a good workout with you huh?

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Testing the old adage that good actors can elevate bad writing, eh? Still a shame that it isn't funny, though. Yuri Lowenthal can save just about anything, but it's funny how often he'll lapse back into Sasuke when voicing these kinds of things.

And yeah, I literally just posted some shots! I keep thinking of you whenever I use the Photo Mode, because it has a lens flare intensity slider. Its maximum setting is called "Foxy Level" in my head.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Given the amount of times you'll hear someone like Yuri or Nolan North use the same voice despite them being rather talented ya have to wonder @RogerRoger if it's more to do with them being typecast and directed to use a similar voice as what they're known for...

RogerRoger wrote:

I keep thinking of you whenever I use the Photo Mode, because it has a lens flare intensity slider. Its maximum setting is called "Foxy Level" in my head.

Oh Rog... I approve ha ha

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I think you're right, there's got to be a "Get me a Nolan North type!" element to some casting calls. I'm pretty sure they're also friends with the right voice directors, and make recording sessions breezy and fun, so that more people wanna work with 'em. I get the sense that there's a real tight-knit community of voice actors out there, for certain projects.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

If I recall correctly me and @Th3solution had an interesting chat about voice acting shortly after me getting to the end of Cyberpunk @RogerRoger.

It was in regards to it having quite a few voice actors who were in Persona 5 with us talking about the cliques there might be within that community and the likes.

Probably not your thing rog but the critcal role youtube channel is a great showcase of voice actors like Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brien, Matt Mercer, Ashely Johnson and others of them just playing a friendly game of D&D.

For Matt as the DM it really shows off his wide range of voices he can pull off and the acting chops of the group as a whole that you don't normally see through them voicing video game/anime/cartoon characters. Can get a little silly before it starts up properly but shows off they're just a bunch of pals doing what they like

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the recommendation; I have recently started leaning on YouTube quite a bit, mostly whilst eating, and I do like the sound of what you're describing (as I once watched a bunch of Star Trek alumni play a board game on YouTube) so I'll track the channel down.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Oh is Nolan North in Miles Morales @Thrillho? I thought the notable VA (Well one I recognise besides Yuri as Pete) in it was Troy Baker as the totally not a bad guy tech dude. Haven't played it myself (Not til I get a PS5) so I unfortunately have no clue! 😄

Only thing about Critical Role is they're 3-5 hour long streams @RogerRoger and there's over 300 or so episodes overall (From both campaigns) I think? It's one hell of an undertaking... 😅

If and when you give them a look probably best to start with the second campaign as the first starts with them having already played half of it offscreen, it has lower production values (The audio is pretty bad from what I recall) and they're not quite used to the format yet. Plus they have entirely different characters and a new setting too so you won't miss anything by skipping over.

I believe you can get it as a podcast too if you prefer instead of a video?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy oops you’re right, I accidentally picked the other male-voice-actor-who-is-everywhere (although not as much as Baker!)

I get them mixed up in my head after seeing a couple of the vids they did together on YouTube.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Do we have another The Outer Worlds/Wilds situation here?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic