Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 2,961 to 2,980 of 6,461

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah I think that there is a DLC called Wrath of the Gods or something similar to that for AC: Origins, so presumably you will be facing off against egyptian deities in that.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I know what it's like to lose your momentum with regard to playing games, as much as I was impressed by my initial immersion into Bound By Flame, I think that I will leave that game now and focus exclusively on AC: Origins, as that seems a more worthwhile time-investment. Is Odyssey ruled out for the foreseeable future then? You could always go back to it and play it later, I wouldn't count it out for good. The reviews of it weren't great though, so on the other hand you might be better off replaying or playing the DLC for Origins as that did receive good reviews, so the gameplay is likely to be better, based off of what I've read.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

HallowMoonshadow

I know there was a few problems with the pc port when it first went over but I assume it's become much more stable now @SweetSummerShunv?

You looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West?

Thought I'd also post this here as Push Square doesn't have an article on it yet (or any other gaming site for that matter) but It's another free online weekend on Playstation so if ya don't have plus... Well ya can play stuff online regardless

I've already gave Crash Team Racing a go and holy crap the wumpa coin payout is ridiculous (And actually fair) for online! I got 800 coins for winning a single race!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

SweetSummerShunv

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yes indeed and it's reflected by the much more overwhelmingly positive feedback on the game's Steam page now. Then again as I currently sit on NVidia's BFGPU, my experience of the game may be a bit too rose-tinted.

As for Forbidden West, I'm definitely looking foward to it!

SweetSummerShunv

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I definitely have Odyssey in the plans for later. I’ll just have to see when the mood hits. I have heard a lot of positive things about Kassandra, so I plan to choose her as protagonist. It’s just such an enormous game, supposedly even bigger than Origins, so I’ve got to be in the right mindset and time availability for that type of investment

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Ubisoft have had that line since the original Assassin’s Creed back in 2007. It was important for them to put it in there because that game was about the Crusades, meaning that they really had to have both Christian and Muslim viewpoints to create a balanced game. It worked out for them too, it’s one of the few products that doesn’t stick to either side of the conflict and they’ve kept that approach to making games ever since. When you’re dealing with history the way that Ubisoft are with the AC games, it helps to have developers from completely different backgrounds as different people read into history in different ways. History was written by the winners/leaders of the time which is why we only hear relatively recently about figures like Mary Seacole and Olaudah Equiano. If the history books had been written by a group of people from different backgrounds who saw different sides of conflicts and daily life, we would know a lot more about what came before.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Brydontk

@RogerRoger Thanks! Love collecting the plats!

@Col_McCafferty And Fallen Order surprised me too! I expected it to feel like The Force Awakened (which I love) but it's so cinematic and the combat is amazing! And Hollow Knight is amazing in it's own right. It's the first metroidvania in a long time that I've really gotten into. It's really worth hanging in there and playing all the way through.

Brydontk

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

Sorry to barge in on the AC chat but having played both Origins and Odyssey, I get the impression that which ever one you play second becomes a bit of a disappointment. Almost everyone I’ve heard review or talk about the games loved Origins like a favourite child but felt that Odyssey was bloated with a worse narrative.

I played Odyssey first as I’ve always been drawn to Greek mythology and thoroughly enjoyed it... it was long but I thought the map/world was great and I actually really enjoyed the story. So much so that I thought Origins would blow me away what with the greater response online. It was fine but it didn’t hit me in the same way Odyssey did, I didn’t even stick with it to play the dlc (which I bought), just got the plat and moved on.

Judging from the reviews and discussions I’ve seen about the two games, I have a feeling that you may eventually feel the same way about Odyssey that I did about Origins due to having played the other first.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Col_McCafferty

@colonelkilgore I played Origins first but much prefer Odyssey. I enjoyed exploring the Greek islands a lot more as Kassandra than I did Ancient Egypt as Bayek.

With Origins though it didn't help that I started playing not long after finishing Red Dead Redemption 2. Compared to Rockstar's epic it felt a bit lightweight and arcadey and that's not a compliment.

It's okay but I thought Odyssey was a lot better than its predecessor.

Col_McCafferty

colonelkilgore

@Col_McCafferty

Lol, there is always one eh 😉... I definitely needed a good break in between each AC:O, think I played AC: Odyssey in summer 2019 and Origins this past October. I’m probably gonna get my ‘AC-like’ fill from Ghost of Tsushima in 2021 (that comment will probably irk some but I keep hearing that GoT is the best AC game that never was) and finally get around to Valhalla in 2022ish.

Thinking about it, maybe that was why I couldn’t get into Red Dead 2, I think I started it not long after Odyssey. Will have to go back to it at some stage.

**** DLC!

sentiententity

This past week I've been trying out recent PS+ games, and I've been having good fun.

Rocket Arena: is a lot more fun than the trailer looks! I don't care for most online shooters. Half the time I'm looking around for people to shoot, the other half I'm getting killed by snipers. This one is more like Smash Bros. There's a small area you try to blast people out of. Controls aren't overly complicated.

Worms Assault: a similar game, and I like it for similar reasons. I can get some lucky kills in and have a few minutes of simple fun without committing my life to memorizing controls and such.

Need for Speed Payback: more fun than I expected. Controls well enough. If you bump into a wall or something it doesn't ruin your chance of success. (Playing on easy of course.) Not a fan of realistic... anything, but this caught my fancy. Has some sort of story that you play through. I skip about half of it, but it's fun playing different scenarios.

Have any of these been enjoyable for you folks?

sentiententity

colonelkilgore

@sentiententity

I haven’t tried Rocket Arena or Worms but I was also pleasantly surprised by NFS: Payback and will deffo see it through to the plat. Never really been into racing games but ‘that race’ from Mafia Remastered on simulation mode got its hooks into me the same time NFS: P was on ps+ so I gave it a go and I’m glad I did.

Also on ps+ I’ve been playing Bugsnax with the missus and really enjoying it. Totally not my kind of game but it’s charming and hilarious.

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@sentiententity I recently finished NFS: Payback and had a blast with it. I like the more arcade feeling and it feels great to play. The variety of races are good too but the runner ones can be annoying.

Silly story like you but that doesn’t matter too much. I recommend getting the Chevrolet Bel Air derelict and using it off road!

Thrillho

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore I didn’t see your post on Payback. I gave up on the platinum because of all the little tasks like the speed traps, drift routes etc. and couldn’t be bothered with finding all the chips either. I got most of the others but couldn’t be bothered with those.

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho

That’s totally fair, I’m a little ashamed to admit it but I’ve become a bit obsessed with platinums. The logical part of my brain doesn’t know what to make of it but I just have to go after those shiney’s! I even spent most of October and November going after online only trophies on games in my backlog, just so that when I eventually want to play them that the plat will still be achievable (in case the servers are closed by that time).

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, I’ll definitely post thoughts when/if I get around to Odyssey. I have a sinking suspicion that I’ll like Odyssey better. I almost skipped Origins and went straight to Odyssey but felt like the OCD part of my brain wouldn’t allow a game named “Origins” to be played later 😅
For me, I really value the story and character development, and I didn’t relate well with Bayek until the second half of the game. It actually took me a while to warm up to him. In the end, I did like his story, but at first it just didn’t feel like Assassins Creed to me.
Which yes, speaking of, Ghost of Tsushima is a fantastic evolution of the ‘history-based, open-world, story-driven, third-person action-stealth’ genre which most people associate with Assassins Creed. It has a style all its own, but it’s a fair comparison to say that if one is an AC fan wanting something in that space that GoT is a great option to try. Some people have liked AC better, but I played Origins and GoT in fairly close succession, a couple months apart — although played Death Stranding, Bloodstained, Erica, and Resident Evil 1 Remake in between so my palate was more than adequately cleansed. And I liked Ghost of Tsushima better by a fair margin. It’s just a tighter game overall. Even with that, there is plenty of “bloat” but the islands of Tsushima are much more confined, manageable, and well organized. The combat was cleaner and more fleshed out. The story was also more direct and intentional, including the side quests (which are deliberately called “Tales”) which each feel solid and the overall main story is much more impactful. Jin is also a bit of a deadpan familiar and stereotypical hero, but the latter part of the game he really becomes more interesting. The game is a little free and loose with history, as is the Assassins Creed series, but it’s grounded enough to feel legit and peak one’s interest in the true history. Anyways, you’ll like GoT, but expect a substantially different flare.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

I am really looking forward to GoT and am consciously stopping myself from starting it yet as I want it to feel fresh when I do so (I’ve played quite a few open world games of late and don’t want anything like over-familiarity to negativity affect the experience).

Hope you enjoy Odyssey if you ever do get around to it and just out of interest what did you think of Death Stranding? I seem in a distinct minority that loved it.

**** DLC!

Col_McCafferty

@colonelkilgore Ha, I just saw Odyssey as a more joyful adventure and immediately warmed to Kassandra. Malaka!

Oh and I'm a big fan of Death Stranding, it's not for everyone but it's so much more than a mere walking simulator as some (who probably haven't even played it) label it as being. Beautiful story as well, really hits you in the feels and the music, both the original soundtrack and Kojima's mix tape, is sublime. I would definitely play it again one day on the PS5, hopefully an enhanced version if Kojima remembers us console peasants.

Col_McCafferty

colonelkilgore

@Col_McCafferty

I totally agree on both counts. Don’t tell me that I’ve stumbled upon a place where my opinions aren’t the minority... that’s gonna feel weird, good weird but still weird nonetheless.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Good call on waiting a little bit before jumping into an open worlder if you’ve had a lot of the genre lately. In fact, while I played GoT, I took my time so as not to burn out since it can drag (as all open world / icon chasing games can) in the middle third if you tried to binge it too much at once. As I review my trophy list, it looks like I started it mid July around launch and platinum’d in the first week of October, so basically about 2.5 months. So that’s pretty slow by most gamer’s standards, but I really loved it and savored it more that way I think (took Origins slow as well, actually over about 5 months)

And Death Stranding... oh man, I’ve gushed about how much I loved that game so much that I feel guilty to bring it up again. One of my favorite games this generation, probably top 5. I could go on and on (and have) but it sounds like you’re a fellow fan so I’ll refrain. In contrast to even GoT, I mostly binged the game over the month of May. It was one of those rare times when I couldn’t take my thoughts away from it and had no interest to play anything else or move on the the next thing until it was completed. I’m really disappointed that it didn’t sell better and that it didn’t get more hype. I don’t blame people for not liking it because it is definitely a different style of game that won’t necessarily appeal to the masses. I just shrink to think that a masterpiece like it will sell a fraction of what the latest annual COD or Madden re-skin sells in one week.

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic