Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,841 to 1,860 of 6,464

Areus

I Just Bought The Langrisser 1 And 2 Remake For The PS4 Been Having Fun With It So Far

Areus

HallowMoonshadow

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Scrambling on the bigger monsters to stab them in the eye never got old @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy!

Definitely never got old... It's incredibly weird playing as a mage in fact @JohnnyShoulder and not having to do that! šŸ˜‚

I might just restart the game over in fact (I only got to making my pawn) and go for a strider cus my character's appearance is bugging me and doesn't look right šŸ˜…

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I hear that it is harder to find people to summon once you reach the higher levels, and I was planning to summon help for the last few bosses. Is this true? What would you say the highest recommended SL for summoning other players would be?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Honestly, I donā€™t summon at all. I only play online for the notes. Personally, I feel I havenā€™t truly beaten a boss until I do it solo but Iā€™m sure someone round here has what youā€™re looking for!

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LieutenantFatman

Just had a go on Dreams, there's a level called The Last Roll of Toilet Paper, you're a toilet roll and have to try and escape the supermarket, was quite funny, if short.

There's another level called Corona Defend where you have to use a toilet roll gun to shoot the virus, while My Sharona plays in the background. Currently you play as Trump but there's a Boris level coming soon. Ha!

Quite amusing.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

Tjuz

I finished the first episode of BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea DLC a few days ago, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I know the DLC is held in very high regard, but aside from the ending I don't understand the praise quite yet. I hope episode 2 maybe reveals where the love really comes from. That said, I'm probably one of the few people who was entirely unexcited about returning to Rapture. I've played both BioShock as well as BioShock 2, but I never fell in love with the locations. I respect its lore and atmosphere, but the level design has always bored me. Lots of dark corridors and hallways filled with Big Daddies who, frankly, became totally repetitive to fight. There's just nothing there that really spikes my imagination or interest outside of the odd audio log here and there. Columbia was a much more enjoyable place to visit for me, despite its lore not being as vast. It felt a lot more open, much less restricted and the skyhooks really made for some awesome mid-fight moments. Going back to the same old Rapture feels like a heavy downgrade, to be honest.

Initially, like everyone, I was excited about seeing Rapture before its fall. Filled with life and bright lights everywhere. We do get that, but then we're quickly thrown back into a place that I wouldn't be able to fault anyone for thinking is from the first two games. There was so much potential there that just felt immediately wasted by going back to the most boring of potential places. Dark corridors and splicers. While we do get the skyhook here as well, its existence feels in no way organic and it's clearly just inserted in here for the sake of having it. It adds nothing to the levels, and the levels don't do enough to make them stand out more outside of that either. I hope that playing as Elizabeth in this second episode will reignite the fire I felt playing the main game, but I'm not hopeful. If that doesn't end up being the case, that's okay I suppose. I'll always have the main game! BioShock Infinite and Columbia will probably be what I remember the series for years and years from now.

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Tjuz Quick question - so did you go back and play Bioshock Infinite again or just jump straight into the DLC? How long had it been since you played Infinite? Did you struggle with relearning the controls?

I ask because I havenā€™t played the DLC yet despite wanting to because I am not sure Iā€™ll have a clue how to play it after several years has passed since I played the main game.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

Lately I havenā€™t done much gaming; been in a bit of a weird mood, not as driven to play much. Not sure if itā€™s COVID or what, but I stare at the PS4 for a minute and then just get up and walk away. But yesterday I forced myself to play something and I booted up Dead Cells. I was looking to something that was quick to drop in/ drop out to re-energize the gaming juices. And, I must say, I did enjoy it, despite not really being a Metroidvania fan nor a Rouguelike fan. I was a little intimidated by the gameā€™s reputation of being difficult, but itā€™s not too bad. I did recoil when I died and lost a boat load of cells once in the gameā€™s Dark Souls style penalty for failure. Iā€™m usually not a fan of pixelated art either, but the visuals are just fine.

I didnā€™t get very far, and time will tell if I can tolerate the constant respawning back at the beginning when I die, but the procedurally generated random dungeons helps so far to make each run feel somewhat fresh. I just hate that I had a sweet loadout of weapons and upgrades going and then after I die, boom - Iā€™m back at the beginning with the basic starter weapons again. The gameā€™s strength is in the satisfying combat and the kinetic feel of the game, as well as itā€™s charm.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I really enjoyed Dead Cells. The way you lose your weapons is so that you experiment a bit more and don't just stick to the same weapons. You will obviously get your own favourites which work really well together. I almost became invincible when I had a strong mellee weapon, a long range one, a trap that sticks the enemies in place, and a trap that shoots stuff. But everyone will have different faves. I liked using the saucepan, just because of the sound of it hitting an enemy i found never got old.

You will quickly learn of all the short cuts and tricks to finding the certain areas. That makes life a bit easier.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I was a bit confused as to how to make progress. I was approaching it as just a game to play as a distraction rather than to see a conclusive story, but since there is an end point youā€™re trying to go to I am a little confused as to where Iā€™m going. Thatā€™s always been my main beef with Metroidvanias.
I do appreciate the quick and easy teleport system though.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Thrillho

@Th3solution Dead Cells is good fun. Itā€™s worth taking your time in each area on your first goes to get used to enemies and collecting as much gold as possible to use. Later on youā€™ll breeze through those areas.

Itā€™s also worth being careful with what weapons and gear you unlock. The game only gives you a random selection of what youā€™ve unlocked at the beginning. Itā€™s really annoying to be given a rubbish set of gear and thereā€™s no option to disable gear from the selection.

The first handful of runs are the most demoralising until you unlock the new abilities to get to new areas. The different routes through the game you unlock later keep it fresh too.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@Tjuz Part one of Burial at Sea is ā€œneatā€ but the second part is what is more impressive and quite cleverly done so Iā€™d highly recommend ploughing on!

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho @JohnnyShoulder good to know about the weapons. I kinda figured as much because I already have my favorites and some of them donā€™t sound very effective. what are the best things to unlock early on with your cells? I unlocked the health potion and the 3000 gold carry over after death first, mainly because they were cheap. The next set of unlockables are all so expensive and take like 50 cells or more. I started making small payments on unlocking the second health potion bottle, but these take so long to save up for I donā€™t want to waste too much time saving up and buying something thatā€™s not very useful.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution You should concentrate on saving up to unlock anything with health, as that will help you last a bit longer. When that gets too expensive, move onto general improvements whenever possible. These are upgrades that will persist, granting you healing potions, bonus gold and the ability to recycle useless weapons for even more scratch. These unlocks are all upsides and will always be beneficial.

When deciding what gear to unlock, read the descriptions carefully. Some of the gear is, frankly, kind of awful. The Spartan Boots, for example, cost only five cells but they are almost universally bad and youā€™d just as soon not have them in your item pool.

My advice: Focus on items with effects that are easy to pull off. The Infantry Bow grants critical hits when you use it close up on enemies, whereas the Blood Sword always nets you bleeding damage. Ones to avoid are things like The Impaler or the aforementioned Spartan Boots, which both have environmental demands that are far too inconsistent to count on. But this will vary on your playstyle and weapons you like using.

All that said, if you end up unlocking something that you really donā€™t enjoy using, itā€™s not the end of the world. You can always recycle those worthless items for extra gold as you come upon them (so long as youā€™ve unlocked that general improvement).

Outside of weapons, Mutations are also unlockable once youā€™ve found their blueprints. Mutations are neat in that they donā€™t drop randomly. Once unlocked you can select them from a vendor between levels, which removes a lot of the randomness. Which mutations you prefer will vary on your playstyle. I usually focused on ones that decreased my ability cooldowns, but itā€™s really up to you.

Edit: I took the bulk of that from a guide, but one that I did find useful.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Th3solution I found the Assassinā€™s Dagger carried me to endgame because I roll loads. Combined with a trap and shooter, you can do a bunch of damage to most bosses. If youā€™re looking for weapons to unlock, itā€™s a good one to start with.

HallowMoonshadow

Not Dead Cells related but I've been in a bit of a weird mood myself the past few days @Th3solution

I played the PS4 a bit the past week with Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Just reaching Gran Soren). Monday was fine. Tuesday I was a bit wobbly with a few long pauses but mostly my concentration was there. Wednesday I kept finding any excuse to go wander off around the house for half an hour or more.... leaving it on pause for a number of stretches. Didn't play much yesterday of it at all.

Tried some Dark Souls remastered today instead thinking maybe it might help make things better but I didn't even last ten minutes before switching the PS4 off. Might try a bunch of things tomorrow and see what sticks.

Hope you get more invested in Dead Cells Th3Solution!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Scuba90Steve

MInecraft, Elite Dangerous, ESO. Looking for eligible players. 29 m USA. Scuba09Steve.

Scuba90Steve

Th3solution

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder Thanks, Iā€™ll keep that in mind.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, Dead Cells was a pretty good thing to try for me. I might also just play a Telltale game or something with a real easy approach to disconnect my brain from time to time. A large open world complex narrative RPG (my usual favorite games) doesnā€™t appeal to me atm. I have Death Stranding awaiting and that was to be my next, but I couldnā€™t bring myself to tackle it. Seemed too dark and depressing. Dark Souls and DD would be similar. Dead Cells at least has a little tongue-in-cheek dark humor and is relatively bright and colorful by comparison.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah I get ya... I was originally planning on playing Day's Gone as my next big game but I decided to go for DD instead @Th3solution as I already thought DG might be a bit much even without falling into this mood I'm now in

I've got a pretty diverse library thankfully across the playstation platforms so hopefully I'll find something that'll get my attention!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy if thereā€™s one thing I have plenty of, itā€™s a backlog. I was thinking about finally playing FFXV since VIIR is coming soon. I didnā€™t feel confident I could finish it in time and so if Iā€™m getting VIIR at launch then Iā€™d rather go straight to that. Weā€™ll see. The other I was mulling over was Hitman. If I understand it correctly itā€™s easy to play in short spurts.

nessisonett

@Th3solution If you go for Hitman, plump for the 2nd one as you can get every single level from the first inside the second games along with improvements.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic