Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 2,641 to 2,660 of 5,757

colonelkilgore

@render did you happen to watch the Games Master reboot recently? I was quite looking forward to it for a bit of nostalgia but I couldn’t even bring myself to get through the first episode.

I never really played any point-and-clicks back in the day… but I might try another based off this one. I think the writer of … Tentacle also wrote the two Psychonauts games too, so it’s made me more keen to give them a go.

@Keith_Zissou cheers mate, I wanna try and finish up some things before Horizon Forbidden West is released. I got the Score Attack left on Rise of the Tomb Raider and I got one trophy left on Yakuza Kiwami (I’m at a notoriously difficult car chase section that if you fail on Legendary difficulty, it takes you right back to the start of the chapter and you have to fight your way through 30 minutes worth of enemies and a boss fight before you can have another crack at the car chase again 🤬). As I want Yakuza Kiwami to be my 75th plat, I’m thinking of fitting The Sexy Brutale in too.

How about you bud, did you start up Demons Souls after, or have you started something else?

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@ScarletSpidey yeah I’m with you on that mate. I’m not just saying this for effect… but I actually struggle to stay awake on Telltale games sometimes. I never had that issue with Day of the Tentacle.

**** DLC!

ScarletSpidey

@colonelkilgore I get that. I tried to play The Walking Dead with my wife but she got bored pretty quickly. We're really enjoying Back To The Future though. I get why that genre is pretty niche now but I really love all the wordplay and lateral thinking. Me and my brother actually spent hundreds of pounds on the helplines back in the day on those LucasArts games. My parents laugh about it now but they didn't then haha!

ScarletSpidey

colonelkilgore

@ScarletSpidey 🤣 I can imagine, thank the lord for the internet hey? I remember the Game tips section in all the old video game magazines too, they were invaluable!

**** DLC!

render

@colonelkilgore Yeah I did and I was a bit like you on the first episode, I thought this is just going to be awful so I turned it off. Then one day I was after something to watch for a bit so thought I'd give it another chance and ended up quite enjoying it. I mean it's terrible just like the originals, but then I think it's supposed to be to a certain extent. There were even a few funny bits although I think some of the stuff they thought would be very funny is just not funny.

I wondered if whoever did the casting had been watching Lemmy as Robert Florence gave off that sort of vibe. The cast were ok though, just seemed like they were perhaps trying to check all the boxes with it a little. I'm guessing that they were also aiming for my sort of age group, so people who had watched the originals, as I'm not sure how it would appeal to millenials when they can get much better stuff on twitch / YouTube.

One of the guys that worked on Day of the Tentacle was Tim Schafer who also worked on a load of other great point and clicks that came out of Lucas Arts back in the day. They all had a great sense of humour to them that easily would have spanned generations but we found particularly funny in our older teens. He's produced some good stuff at Double Fine as well although I've not played their full output so don't know about things like Psychonauts.

The thing is the point and click genre comes from a time when people seemed to have more patience. It also did best when it was 2D and every time someone has tried to take this style of game into the 3D world it just hasn't really worked. They did it with Monkey Island and Broken Sword both of which didn't do well. They've also done it with the sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky - Beyond a Steel Sky - which I haven't played yet but might take a look at as hopefully they've gone about that the right way 🤞

render

colonelkilgore

@render randomly I happened to watch a review of Beyond a Steel Sky the other day. It just kinda came on automatically after whatever other vid I was watching. It sounds pretty good from what the reviewer was saying.

I might give Games Master another shot then based off your post. Might check out some other Tim Schafer point-and-clicks too 👍

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore I hear cash register sound effects coming from your platinum tally. Nicely done!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WCB

@colonelkilgore hey, did you need help with the mp in Rise of the Tomb Raider? I remember I'd say I'd help when you started it. Offer still stands if you need it.

Xbox Gamertag: Chrysler2271
PSN: kissoon32
Switch Friend Code: SW-5919-0229-7098

colonelkilgore

@WCB no worries mate, I though that there was some co-op required for the platinum but it turns out that they were just dlc trophies. How did you find the Score Attack stuff?

**** DLC!

sorteddan

I have just encountered another of those annoying trophies that require me to continue with a game I have otherwise 'finished'.

I've been putting a few hours into Dirt 5 for the past couple of weeks since getting it with plus, it's a pretty good arcade racer, easy enough to pick up and play. So I have now completed all events and gotten most trophies and have now got to grind for the drive 1000 miles trophy! Playing on and off and completing everything else has only gotten me to around half this distance and so the next bit is just gonna be needlessly repetitive and grindy.

I hate it when games do this, I mean I understand that developers want people to continue playing their games but achievements like this (or minimum hours played) just feel a bit tacked on and ruin the experience for me. Anyhow, thank goodness for the track designer and the community who have supplied courses which can be completed with nothing but a running console and a rubber band - but still, watching a game play itself while I read a book or catch up on housework and assorted tasks seems somehow wrong to me.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

sorteddan

@colonelkilgore congrats on the recent plats, as ever.
And I very much agree - the Games Master reboot was trash. I think it was squarely aimed at people my age who retain the nostalgic for for the original and little kids. Anyone inbetween would likely have no interest.
Though Sir Trevor as the GM did have some funny lines that caused a chuckle

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

nessisonett

Got the Spider-Man Remastered platinum. Requiring 100% of the crimes is just a downer and kinda annoyed me by the end. Onto the DLC now which is unremarkable at best.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@Sorteddan thanks mate, we’ll I must be around the right age bracket having watched the old series during my teens… but something didn’t feel right, that or it was always rubbish but I didn’t mind so much as a youngster.

@nessisonett if you haven’t played Miles Morales yet, I’d say that trophy list is far more friendly (& neighbourhood 😉) than the original’s.

**** DLC!

render

@Sorteddan That's my last Dirt 5 trophy as well and after finishing all the career events I'd racked up 730 miles. I've been playing on and off for the past few days and have managed to add just 20 to that so good tip about the community courses as I don't think I could be bothered to keep driving the same ones again and again.

render

colonelkilgore

@Sorteddan @render I’m sure I read that this was originally 10,000 miles and they patched it down to 1000 miles as it was taking a 200 hour grind after all other trophies had popped 🤣

**** DLC!

ScarletSpidey

@nessisonett I really wish I could get this without having to buy the Deluxe Edition of Miles Morales.

Just got a Platinum for Guard Duty. Fun enough point and click adventure game. A couple of puzzles I had to look up because I was never going to get it (I don't have days to spare like I did as a kid) but some good humour and clever puzzles.

ScarletSpidey

render

@colonelkilgore I don't even rack that up in a real car over the course of a year these days 🤣

render

nessisonett

@ScarletSpidey I got the normal edition of Miles Morales as a present. The remaster was £20 bought from Miles Morales’ main menu.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic