Forums

Topic: The Last Of Us Part II - OT (No Spoilers)

Posts 101 to 120 of 522

Matroska

This game has reached full horror potential with Dina's armpits. 🤮

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Scollurio

@Matroska I really don't mind those, it's after the apocalypse right? The horror lies elsewhere, I actually really enjoyed what I saw of Dina.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Scollurio

@TheDude89 Amen!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

carlos82

So I've been exploring Seattle for a bit and I've enjoyed the game hugely so far but my PS4 randomly deleted the game from my hard drive so I've had to download it again. However, normally we'd have to wait until fully installed but I clicked on it after it reached ready to play and tried to load my file, at which point its downloaded the bit of the game I need to play. So it's currently at 30gb installed but I'm able to play where I was, so my evening isn't completely ruined

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

LieutenantFatman

@carlos82
That's handy, sounds like it worked out pretty well. Fingers crossed for no more random deletions going forward.

LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

@stuzster
Woah, you're coming into this thread with your common sense.. Pretty sure that's not allowed.

LieutenantFatman

starhops

@Zuljaras Actually, you miss an extremely large amount of dialog between characters that are not in cut scenes that build up relationships and character development. By not playing and only watching the “story,” I would say you’re missing out on all the subtleties that help make the player more invested in everything. And it does matter if you don’t play it. You have no risk only watching the cut-scenes. Playing, you can die, you can feel the tension, you can make noise and find yourself in a heap of trouble. You control the character.

Octane wrote:

Ellie's facial animation when the grabs and strangles an enemy is absolutely top-notch. Cut-scene quality, and you don't even get to see it unless you manually turn the camera around!

Oh jeez, so intense! The combat is very brutal. The first game was tough, but this one takes it even further. I wonder if the developers/animators have any nightmares from seeing this day in and day, especially fine tuning it all. Yikes!

starhops

PSN: starhops

blacklivesmatter

After playing the first game and now the 2nd Joel was right that humanity was not worth saving.

blacklivesmatter

ApostateMage

I love those hero cards that you have to collect. I even found one who is a top naughty dog.

ApostateMage

LieutenantFatman

@ApostateMage
Yeah, those are pretty cool, more interesting than the collectibles in the first game, I think. I've been pretty good at exploring so far but I bet I've missed a few.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@LieutenantFatman Yeah I'm am searching for stuff but at the same time I want to push on with the game. Think that is what slows me down when playing games, searching every nook and cranny for stuff.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

@starhops I think that feeling fades away after a while. I mean, imagine developing a horror game and having to play test it every time, I couldn't Haha, but maybe it's different when you're actually developing it and know how the game is built.

@ApostateMage Yeah I love those as well. But I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff..!

Octane

LieutenantFatman

@JohnnyShoulder
I think in most games a lot of searching just isn't worthwhile with collectibles generally being useless.

But in this game not only do you get some really cool knick knacks you can use making you a force to be reckoned with, it often gives you extra story bits and conversations too, so it's well worth doing a bit of exploring if an area off the beaten track seems to stand out a bit.

LieutenantFatman

tatsumi

Finished the game. That was crazy.
I personally would give it a 9 or maximum 9.5 of 10. TLoU was a 10/10 for me.

I do understand why people may hate the game. When it comes to rating audience’s expectation vs what we got, it would be more like 3-5/10. There were multiple roads they could have taken with the game’s story. And one being that it is similar to the first one, which I think most fans would have loved.
But they took a completely different road (which was very brave) and well, a lot of people hate it. Especially when you have some kind of “moral bias”, since you love characters from the first game. Which is completely fine and might have even been expected by the devs.
This game was definitely not developed purely to please fans, but to show a possible “reality” for the characters that can make sense. And in that regard, the writing was very good, while being very uncomfortable.

I think think they could have done better story-wise to make everything more balanced from emotional aspect.

e.g. make Abby and her Father struggle a bit more with the decision to kill Ellie for the good of humanity, less “cold”. And have a bit more positive flash backs of Joel to pay a bit more respect to him. Something like that.

But I don’t feel the game has any plot holes, but people feel like it does. I will have to dig deeper.

Edited on by tatsumi

tatsumi

carlos82

@LieutenantFatman it's the exploration that is making this game for me, I've loved just looking around and seeing what people were doing at the end and finding the hero cards or other little treasures. This game has just been a joy to look around and see what there is or what you'll interact with, even just the brilliant map system and if anything it makes aspects like the skill tree look hopelessly outdated.

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Rudy_Manchego

A few hours in and the game is very very good. Do I like the direction of the story? Not sure yet but that is the risk with any narrative driven game that takes risks.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@LieutenantFatman Yeah that is true. After my last post I obviously contradicted my self completely and went looking in every nook and cranny lol. But i wish I had explored a bit more earlier on when you open the first main gate in Seattle. There was at least on place marked on the map I had not been to I think.

@Rudy_Manchego I've not come across any thing really which I've been totally against in regards to the story so far. I think the arc has been quite natural from the first game. That may change the further I get, like you say those are the risks writers take, and you will not please all of the people all of the time. I don't envision me disliking the story a great deal though, unless it takes a drastic turn like Ellie popping out breakdancing and rapping with her homies.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

unless it takes a drastic turn like Ellie popping out breakdancing and rapping with her homies

"It wasn't about the bloodshed or revenge... The true treasure was the breakdancing we learnt along the way"

... Isn't that the moral of any good revenge story @JohnnyShoulder?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

phil_j

Stopped reading this thread for fear of risk of spoilers. 12 hours in now. It's a ***** masterpiece. Minor vague spoilers:

I'm not into nonsense Hollywood happy endings, and this is taking the only route I've ever thought a sequel should go.
Dinosaur flashback might be one of the best sequences I've ever had in gaming, and that wouldn't have that emotional impact without prior events. The 'scars' mystery has just started, a very intriguing development. I see absolutely no reason so far why this has got the hate it has, unless you're a homophobic biggot.

phil_j

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic