Forums

Topic: Push Square Readers Best Games Played in 2020 (but not made in 2020]

Posts 1 to 20 of 89

colonelkilgore

So I just saw the other thread by @Gaming365247 and realised that I very rarely play anything new. I plat’d FFVIIR and Mafia: Definitive Edition, and ‘tinkered’ with Dreams but apart from that I don’t think I played anything from 2020. So for those Backloggers like myself, here’s a list for old(er) games played for the first time this year.

5. Star Wars: Fallen Order
4. Sleeping Dogs
3. Days Gone
2. Control
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

**** DLC!

nessisonett

This is a good idea, I spent a load of time on my backlog this year.

5. Assassin’s Creed III Remastered, probably my favourite of the whole series which is perhaps sacrilegious.
4. Morrowind, just fantastic and still holds up extremely well.
3. The Last of Us, yes I was late but it really is a good game. Not a masterpiece but a good game nonetheless.
2. Resident Evil 7, utterly superb and one of my favourites in the series.
1. Silent Hill, I’d never played the first one but it’s truly a masterpiece.

A big shoutout to the Trails and Tekken series, I played almost every game in those series this year but couldn’t pick individual entries to make this list.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett

I have AC3 Remake and RE7 in my backlog, good to hear that they are both good. How did you play Silent Hill, on PS1?

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore On Vita, which I spent a whole lot of time on this year. It’s perfect for retro gaming to be honest, as long as the game doesn’t require L2/R2 too extensively.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett

Ahh, yeah I heard that you can play all sorts on there if you add the right apps etc. Worth getting 1 in 2021?

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore They’re relatively hard to get hold of actually, it took me ages to get a fat one so that I could install CFW so that I could play English patches and overclock it. The fact that Persona 4 Golden is now on PC means that it has lost its one killer game as well.

I also totally forgot to put Metro Exodus in my top games, I forgot it came out last year. It’s utterly brilliant and I adored it. Really deserves to be up there.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett
Cheers for the info... I got all three Metro games in the backlog too as in goes...

**** DLC!

crimsontadpoles

Good thread idea. I've enjoyed playing lots of older games this year. My favourites of which are:

5. Cuphead (PC). The old fashion cartoon style visuals are just wonderful to look at, and the challenging gameplay is fun without being too frustrating most of the time.
4. Rhythm Paradise (DS). I do love a good rhythm game. It's got plenty of charm, a variety of different minigames, and the all important catchy music.
3. Yuppie Psycho (PC). This indie is about someone's first day of working in an office, but it's far from mundane. Not everything is as it seems as there's plenty of sinister things going on the background. The oddball co-workers have a lot of personality to them, but danger is never far away in this office.
2. Yakuza 0 (PS4). My first foray into the Yakuza series, and I'm now a big fan of this game. The beat em up combat never gets old, and it has a pretty cool story as well. And there's a lot of variety in the side content as well (I played a lot of the Out Run arcade game). Plus I love the style of it (such as how the main characters overdramatically cast a fishing line or gets ready to play an arcade game).
1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (PC). Big fan of the first Danganronpa, and its sequel didn't disappoint. Danganronpa 2 a visual novel where a group of people are trapped somewhere, and are encouraged by the evil mastermind to kill each other. It's worth playing the first game before this one if you're new to the series though.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

colonelkilgore

@crimsontadpoles

I’m interested in the Yakuza games, think I have one that was on ps+ in the past but I’m aware that they are a major time sink. Played Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise in 2019 and quite enjoyed it but having read a few Reddit threads, the Yakuza games while similar are supposedly quite a bit better.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

crimsontadpoles

@colonelkilgore Yeah, Yakuza 0 can take a while to get through, especially if you're enjoying all the various side activities as well. It's really good though. Yakuza 0 is supposed to be one of the better games of the series, so I'm not sure how the others compare.

And good to hear that Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is quite enjoyable. I do like the anime, so I'll have to try out the game one of these days.

Ralizah

Now THIS I'll have more choices for. Lesse...

5) A Hat in Time - I mostly enjoyed this very cute GameCube throwback 3D platformer.
4) Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - a superior DKC clone with a really elaborate overworld map to explore.
3) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - not an unimpeachable masterpiece, but this is probably the funniest game I've ever played in my life.
2) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - a bit overrated, but a beautiful, atmospheric game all the same with some of the best characters I've encountered in an open world game.
1) DOOM 2016 - the culmination of everything DOOM-related I've played to date; it has the gameplay focus, polish, and general enjoyment factor of a Nintendo game, too.

@nessisonett The original Silent Hill is one of the best horror games ever made. You played the sequels, or are you new to the series in general.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

ApostateMage

Control
Ni No Kuni 2
Ratchet & Clank
Greedfall
Dragon Age Inquisition

ApostateMage

Gremio108

1. The Outer Worlds
2. Dirt Rally 2.0
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Subnautica
5. Sniper Elite 4

I started Dear Esther the other day and finished it this morning, but I need more time to process it before I can figure out whether or not it belongs in my list. Also, I'm only halfway through Hollow Knight, otherwise that might have made the cut too. I might yet think of more.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Ralizah I played 2 way back on PS2 and loved it, still probably the best game I’ve ever played. This year was the first time playing the original though and it holds up incredibly well. I did replay 2 this year with the fan remaster as well and it’s one of the best accomplishments I’ve seen from a group of fans.

kyleforrester87

I would probably say...

1) Bravely Default
2) Dark Souls 2
3) Demon Souls (assuming 2020 games still count)
4) Baldurs Gate
5) Neverwinter Nights

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 READ THE THREAD TITLE KYLE DEMON’S SOULS WAS MADE IN 2020 KYLE

mookysam
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Thoroughly enjoyed my time with this. It has such an authentic Star Wars "feel", and great level design and combat. The story slots in nicely with the lore of the films.
  • Hollow Knight - Played this for Game Club and absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure I would at first because it is quite tough in the beginning (Mantis Lords - aargh!). However, as time went on my skills improved and I became more confident. Seriously wonderful Metroidvania with a brilliant atmosphere and godly score and sound effects.
  • Batman Arkham Origins - Yeah, the performance is absolutely woeful and the open-wording is superfluous, but the story missions are excellent and the set pieces thrilling. I played this during a period when I was feeling particularly miserable and heard some sad news about one of my Mum's friends. Having this to focus on really helped.
  • Tales of Hearts R - I'm a massive Tales fan and this didn't disappoint. It's comfort food gaming and has everything I enjoy about the series including fun combat and likeable characters.
  • Undertale - Irreverent genre satire with quite a biting commentary on the overall s*****ness of humans. Awesome soundtrack too!

Whoops, how could I forget The Outer Worlds? It's absolutely hilarious!

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett yeah BUT I assumed it meant not necessarily made in 2020 and with it being Christmas I am going to give myself the benefit of the doubt. So suck my sparkly baubles!!

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett plus if we are getting TECHNICAL and I am going to get TECHNICAL the title says not MADE in 2020.

Well I can guarantee Demon Souls was MADE in 2019 and maybe even 2018, along with 2020.

BOOM. FACE. You got lawyered son.

kyleforrester87

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.