Forums

Topic: Push Square Readers Best Games Played in 2020 (but not made in 2020]

Posts 21 to 40 of 89

kyleforrester87

Which I guess only makes me 50% right. Or 66.666666...% right depending how you look at it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

ralphdibny

I'll try and keep my favourite games this year limited to ones I have never played before (i.e. not replayed games)

Talos Principle (easily the best game I've played this year)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (basically as good as metal gear solid but in 2d)

I'd have to give an honourable mention to splinter cell blacklist too, I always avoided it because of the recasting but it's actually an excellent game and I'd really love to see a new splinter cell done in that style

@nessisonett @colonelkilgore I bought my vita toward the end of last year actually and I got one in pretty good condition from CEX for like 60-70 quid I think. I do travel alot for work though so I'm glad I waited to find one in good nick. I could either settle for a grubby one in the local CEx or just go to CEx in different towns on my lunch breaks and keep an eye out!

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore You could always amend the title to games released in 2020. That will, then kill @kyleforrester87 argument dead.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

2020's been a bit of a mixed bag for me regarding gaming.

Played some real gems, some stuff I'd personally rather forget about (You know the ones ) and a fair bit of meh too.

I haven't played anything from 2020 (Well... I've played two titles) so thank goodness this topic came along! 😅

Anyway here's my top 5.

5. Code Vein

I'm not yet finished with it... But hell why not put it here? I'm having fun with it and sometimes that's the most important thing, especially with such a terrible year. Helps it's a fairly solid game that to me just misses the mark of greatness here and there that I'm enjoying none the less.

4. Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night

I actually played well over half of it last year... But it didn't really quite gel with me then.

Thankfully returning to it this year with the Push Square game club made me appreciate and enjoy it a whole lot more. Like Code Vein there's a few minor quibbles I have with it and it's miles away from number 3 on my list... But it was a great time none the less.

3. Iconoclasts

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do."

I've had this little line in my forum signature for a reason. Agent Black and her arc through Iconoclasts is one of the best things about the entire game to me.

Whilst pretty much all the games listed have some great music... "Moonlight" is simply perfect for when it shows up and gets me every time.

Iconoclasts of course doesn't get into third just for 1 character and my favourite piece of music from the games I've played this year.

It has some really fun bosses too and the plot's rather quite interesting as well with the theological themes it presents among others. Also the pixel art is easily some of the best pixel art I've seen. It's gorgeous!

2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

I probably would've had Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc on this list (And it probably would've been a bit lower down) if I didn't also play this gem in the same year.

THH laid a strong foundation and thankfully Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair does pretty much everything the first did... But ends up doing it so much better then the first.

1. Divinity Original Sin II - Definitive Edition

... I was pretty much glued to the screen playing this across January and Febuary (And a little of december last year too). It would not leave my thoughts during those months I was playing it (Or a number of months after) and despite putting in over 130 hours into it and no point did I ever get the slightest bit uninterested.

I pretty much had to stop myself from playing it all over again once I finally saw the credits roll.

A fantastic setting with great characters, an enjoyable plot with some great dialogue and amusing moments, strategic combat, some lovely music... Pretty much perfection to me.

This isn't just one of the best games I played this year. This is one of the best and enjoyable games I've played in all my years gaming.

... I still haven't wrote a review for this damn game too and that annoys me to no end

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@nessisonett I like the entire original trilogy, but, if I'm being honest, I've always preferred the raw cosmic horror of Silent Hill 1 & 3 over the lynchian, slow burn weirdness of 2. Although 2 definitely has the best story of the bunch. Especially if you get the dog ending.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

sorteddan

Good topic for me as I rarely play games on release so, in no particular order:
1) Marvels Spider Man - Super awesome
2) RE7 - Scary awesome
3) Nier Automata - Strangely awesome
4) Nex Machina - Arcade awesome
5) Enter the Gungeon - awesome just awesome

Thanks for reading

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Blooper987

Danganronpa V3
Hypnospace Outlaw
Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
The Stanley Parable
Mother 3

nessisonett

@Blooper987 The fan translation’s honestly so good for Mother 3 that I couldn’t imagine playing with an official translation.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

This topic is more my speed — the only 2020 releases I played this year were Dreams and Ghost of Tsushima, so of the others I played, here is my top 5:

5. Assassin’s Creed Origins
Really well made open world, beautiful and interesting setting. I could have liked some aspects of it better, but it was a really enjoyable time sink which was so huge that I left plenty of quality gameplay on the table, yet enjoyed the main story thoroughly.

4. Danganronpa V3
A fantastic final installment for the series. Creative cases, quirky characters, and thought provoking narrative with twists and turns aplenty.

3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
I love most things Star Wars, but this game was enjoyable by any metric purely with the enthralling combat and intricately crafted 3D Metroidvania style maps. Satisfying to the last.

2. Resident Evil 2 Remake
I never would have imagined a world where this game would become one of my favorites. I still crave the tense adrenaline surges I encountered during the addictive and well paced puzzle ridden adventure. Surprised that I am now so invested into this world, I can’t wait to play the next installment.

1. Death Stranding
I’ve not been shy about my love for this game. What more praise can I say that I haven’t already laid down about Kojima’s masterpiece? This game reminded me of why I love this hobby.

Honorable mentions to The Last Guardian, Bloodstained, DOOM 2016, and God of War 2018. All excellent and GoW would have been top 5 but I don’t think I’ll finish the game before year’s end.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

So since finding this place over the weekend, I have seen this Danganronpa crop up again and again, I had never even heard of it previously. I just checked Amazon and they had one Danganronpa Trilogy left in stock so I quickly snapped it up not knowing anything about it. What’s the skinny?

**** DLC!

LieutenantFatman

1. Death Stranding
2. Hollow Knight
3. Metro Exodus
4. Firewatch
5. Resident Evil 1 remake

Honourable mentions: Space Hulk Tactics, Wargroove, Kingdom Hearts 3, Bloodstained, Celeste.

Death Stranding is my GOTY including all of the releases I played this year as well. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

LieutenantFatman

colonelkilgore

@LieutenantFatman

I played Death Stranding on release but yeah, if I had played it this year it would’ve been high up on my list too. The negative coverage that it received really prevented a lot of people from even trying it... I’m still trying to convince my friends to give it a go but they don’t wanna know.

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

If I may chim in @colonelkilgore to cut a long story short the Danganronpa series are a trio of visual novel games with murdery mystery aspects as you solve "class trials" from an ever dwindiling pool of students. Think the Phoenix Wright games but a bit more murdery

Some really (un)cool gal just happened to write a review for the first Danganronpa game right 》here《 that goes into a bit more detail on what you'll expect from the games (If you can withstand a bit of a longwinded review of course 😅)

There's also side game called Ultra Despair Girls which plays rather differently then the main three games being a third person shooter with puzzle aspects? I haven't got round to playing it properly yet myself so I'm not too familar with it

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LieutenantFatman

@colonelkilgore

It's strange isn't it? Most of my friends absolutely love Metal Gear Solid but if I mention Death Stranding, there's no interest at all.

Or a dismissive comments such as "Delivery driver simulator." Perhaps that's a concern for some, that maybe it's just a load of fetch quests strung together. Certainly is a shame that so many will miss out on such a brilliant and unique game.

LieutenantFatman

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Cheers FGS, and yes of course chime in all you like... I’m rather long-winded myself so I will have a read of your review. I’ve never played (or even heard of) Phoenix Wright either so I’m not getting much context from that but ‘visual novel’ (or I’d imagine visual-manga maybe?) provides some idea.

It might not end up being my thing but I am open to all genres as I love to mix-up my gaming schedule to keep it fresh. I did try Persona 5 (maybe the closest thing to Danganronpa that I have actually played) and I was enjoying the story and the style but I just get no enjoyment from turn-based combat, so hopefully there is none of that in this trilogy.

It may take me a while to actually get to playing Danganronpa but when I do, I’ll be sure to let you guys know what I think. Hopefully I feel the same way, as there is a LOT of love for it here.

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Ahh well the review should hopefully clear most of those questions up then @colonelkilgore as I do explain the set-up and core gameplay loop fairly clearly I hope!

-Edit- Theres an index on the first page of that topic by the way that contains links to all the reviews done in that thread... There's quite a few there to say the least as we cover pretty much anything and everything! 😄

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.