Forums

Topic: Push Square Readers Best Games Played in 2020 (but not made in 2020]

Posts 61 to 80 of 89

iCaramba

You can talk a lot of ***** about 2020, but at least it was great year for our backlogs. I had the privilege to find some real gems, like:
5. Shadow of the Colossus - flawed but still amazing gaming experience. And the remake is stunning.
4. Guaccamelee 2 - couldn't finish the first one, but in that one everything just clicked. The Mexiverse is a great little world, and the dialogues are actually funny!
3. Civilization VI - for a time, deep at the first lockdown, Civ with friends, while plotting on each other on discord was my only social activity, and I LOVED it.
2. Tearaway Unfolded - I slept on that one for way too long time. That game is just awesome, adorable and fulfilling + The best use for the duelshock touchpad that I ever experienced.
1. Celeste - Wow! That game is a top notch. The clever use of the mechanics to create smart and challenging puzzles, alongside the emotional story that full of interesting characters, can only create a must play masterpiece. Can't wait for the next EXOK game..

Edited on by iCaramba

iCaramba

Thrillho

@iCaramba I love the Guacamelee games! It’s funny the first game didn’t click with you though as I wouldn’t say the second did all that much different.

Thrillho

iCaramba

@Thrillho I played it few years ago and really liked it, but couldn't get pass the later stages. Matter of timing I guess... And maybe the fact that I actually bought this one (I got the first via PS+) helped a little..

iCaramba

RogerRoger

Figured out my list. Took some doing because blimey, I've played a lot of games this year! None of them were new out, although a handful were fresh remasters or ports. I also realise that we're in the PS4 section of the forum, but I'm gonna include other consoles or systems.

I'm about to start Star Wars: Squadrons and, from what I gather, its campaign is criminally short, so I'll likely finish it before 2021 arrives. I doubt it'll break the top ten, though.

ADR1FT and Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition deserve honourable mention.

10) Final Fantasy VII (Original, on PS4)
Okay, so I didn't necessarily "get" this so-called timeless classic, but I at least came away with an appreciation for its place in gaming history and, for that, I reckon it deserves a nod. It wasn't fun, nor was it even compelling, but it was interesting.

9) Shenmue (PS4)
There's no denying that, even back when it launched, Ryo Hazuki's debut was a haphazard mess of artificial obligation, calling into question what we value from our interactive entertainment. Despite this, I've thought about it a lot this year (having completed it in January) and its impact on modern gaming trends cannot be overstated. I definitely didn't fall in love with it during, but I think I might've since, and so I've bumped its sequel up my "things to play next" list.

8) Resident Evil 2 (PSone Classic, on PS3)
Back in 2019, if you'd have told me that I'd complete a Resi game this year, I'd have laughed; if you'd added that I'd actually enjoy it from start to finish, I'd have fallen off my chair... and yet, here we are. I was forced to bail on its predecessor, but the original Resi 2 proved a great experience, helped in no small part by the PushSquare Game Club. Never say never!

7) DOOM 64 (PS4)
Having grown up with the original shareware game on PC, nostalgia was a key factor in bringing me here, but DOOM 64 is very much its own demonic hell-beast. Go beyond the similarities and you'll find a slick, challenging shooter worthy of your attention.

6) Syphon Filter (PSone Classic, on PS3)
If any franchise is long-overdue for a remaster or reboot, it's Syphon Filter. I had dabbled with its first instalment a couple times before, but this year I started over and finally saw its credits roll. Come for the cheesy fast-talking 90s espionage thriller, but stay for the arcadey fast-paced running and gunning. It tested my patience a couple times, with a trial-and-error approach to some levels, but its varied objectives and earnest presentation kept me respawning instead of rage-quitting.

5) Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)
Because it wouldn't be one of my lists without representation from a galaxy far, far away. Finally getting to play this much-vaunted tactical shooter was a joy, even if it ultimately buckled under the weight of such hype. Nevertheless, it's a bold, brave interpretation of the franchise, with more humour and darkness than your standard sanitised cash-in.

4) Sonic Lost World (PC)
Another long-awaited experience for me, this awkward outing for the Blue Blur still managed to do more good than harm. A killer soundtrack, interesting concept and constant level variety kept me on my toes (or rather my fingertips, given the fiddly keyboard controls I had to endure) and ultimately reminded me of all the reasons why I love Sonic, for better or worse. Even on his most average of days, he's the reason I'm here, so thank him / blame him / curse him [delete as applicable].

3) The Last Guardian (PS4)
The word "magical" is often overused, but I'd never begrudge its use when describing Trico. Many gamers wonder whether the animal's moody stubbornness is a bug or a feature; for me, the intent doesn't matter as much as the outcome. Did I roll my eyes at my majestic companion's antics more than once? Of course. Did I lose my temper? Never. It was Trico's adventure as much as my own. I'm just happy to have helped. Emotional, powerful... and yes, absolutely magical.

2) Life is Strange 2 (PS4)
Speaking of emotional, I still miss the Diaz brothers, twelve months later. Whatever comment the experience around them might've been trying to make (successfully or otherwise), the realism of Sean and Daniel, and my impact on their lives, has haunted me all year. The game's format might be stale, but its central characters are anything but.

1) Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
Finally overcoming my blinkered fanboyism, this exquisite experience sparked a deep dive into Spidey's interactive history (several of its highlights nearly appeared on this list, including Insomniac's PSone game and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions on PS3). It's glossy wish-fulfilment escapism which admittedly leans on a few modern tropes and shortcuts, but it does so whilst absolutely nailing the fundamentals in a way most Triple-A licenced games can only dream of. This kind of safe, guaranteed enjoyment is absolutely my jam, and I can't wait to experience it all over again on PS5.

Also, just for fun and balance...

99) Spider-Man: Web of Shadows - Amazing Allies Edition (PSP)
An absolute travesty of a thing, built around a rotten core of shallow and repetitive gameplay. Its binary morality system provides surface-level depth, and your choices go absolutely nowhere, instead leading to the single most hilariously insulting ending in all of gaming history. A plague upon the poor PSP, and a new low for the already-beleaguered cynicism of licenced games.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Welcome back to Push Square @RogerRoger! I hope everything went smoothly

I'm surprised Kentucky Route Zero didn't make your list as I seem to remember you enjoyed it quite a bit? I wasn't too surprised to see Sonic so high up there though 😄

A really varied list with a fair bit of retro love too! I would've put DOOM 64 on my list... If it hadn't escaped my mind. This year has dragged on beyond belief 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Really interesting and varied list. Looking at people’s lists does remind just how long this year has seemed. I totally forgot you played Shenmue! 😄
And your list reminds me that I have to find time to play LiS2.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Syphon Filter would be an interesting one to reboot but I'm not quite sure how they'd do it and make it stand out these days.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! More or less; hope you had a good Christmas week?

Kentucky Route Zero only got an honourable mention because, sure, whilst its highs were incredibly high, it also featured some lows which were a real struggle to get through. I'd still recommend it to everybody, but I'd do so knowing only about 20% of people would actually like it; as such, its genius was far too inconsistent for the whole experience to make the grade. If I broke it down into its individual episodes, then one of them might've ranked.

It has been a long year, hasn't it? I had to use my PS4's trophy list and check my backlog documents to remind myself of what I'd played. I loved your top five, by the way. They're all very "you" (which is absolutely a complement) and I kinda expected Divinity would be up there!

@Th3solution Thanks; with any luck, Life is Strange 2 will feature in a sale at some point. Given your caution over the wider story and themes, it'd be less of a risk to find it cheap. Similarly, I keep checking various sources for Death Stranding discounts. It's gotten itself into a much better price bracket lately. Should I find the right week, I can see myself giving it a chance this year (because, if the above list proves anything, it's that I've become more determined to seek variety from my games).

@Thrillho I think it'd be okay, because there's been a shortage of stealth action games in recent years. In the same way platformers and linear story-driven games are both making comebacks, it's only a matter of time before Konami does something with Solid Snake, and Ubisoft starts listening to public demand for another Splinter Cell. The beauty of Syphon Filter is that it was never an exclusive sneak-a-thon; you spend as much time running and gunning to pulse-pounding techno music as you do awkwardly crouching behind shady government officials. A remake could appeal to underserved stealth fans, but also provide those trademark Sony set-pieces in between.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @RogerRoger I included DOOM 64 on my other list, since it's a recent port that adds new content. It was a great experience.

I really need to play The Last Guardian one of these days.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

carlos82

A lot of late 2020 has been retro based for me and catching up with games I simply didn't have access to first time round as they released in other regions or I had other consoles at the time.

1. Astal for Sega Saturn, an absolutely gorgeous sprite based 2d platformer and a great showcase for the Saturn's 2d capabilities of throwing plenty large sprites around the screen and is great fun to boot.
2. Metal Gear Solid for PS1, yeah I know but somehow I never played this despite playing every subsequent (main) entry, I'm a few hours in but loving every second and its fast becoming one of my favourite entries
3. Tempest 2000 on Atari Jaguar, a fantastic old arcade shooter with great pick up and play mechanics and an amazing soundtrack
4. Sonic Racing Transformed on PS3, I fancied a kart racer other than Mario Kart and gave this a go and was not disappointed. Some truly great track design and tight controls and all with some great use of Sega licences

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I feel pretty confident that you’ll enjoy Death Stranding. I’ve only led you astray, what... 3 or 4 times? 😅 No, I think it’s less than that, but your affection for the MGS franchise has me pretty confident in DS for you. Not that the game is anything like MGS, it’s just that it’s born from the same mad scientist’s head. And similarly, my shine to the story driven choice games LiS1 and Before the Storm has me pretty confident I’ll end up liking the sequel. The report of solid and endearing characters has me excited about it.
And if the PS5 availability doesn’t open up soon, I have all this earmarked money burning a hole in my billfold, so I gotta spend it on something.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution I'm still waiting for the right moment to start Death Stranding although it will be a tossup between that and Yakuza 5 after I finish Crash 4.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Due to the unique nature of the game, I do think there is a mood you should be in to get the most out of it. It’s a slower paced game, as you probably realize. There is combat, but not to the extent of a Yakuza.

Col_McCafferty

Good topic!

The best game I've played this year is definitely Red Dead Redemption 2 but this was a second playthrough so doesn't count. Played plenty of other games though and this would be my top 5.

1 - Persona 5
2 - Death Stranding
3 - Days Gone
4 - Resident Evil 2
5 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Honourable mentions to Shadow of the Tomb Raider, BioShock trilogy and Hollow Knight (not finished this one and not sure I ever will!).

2020 has been an absolutely awful year but a great one in terms of the games I've played and am currently playing.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty It’s strange, 2020 has been brilliant for games and music but kinda rubbish for movies.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Onigumo

1- Final fantasy XV
2- Assasins creed origins
3- Hollow Knight
4- Horizon Chase Turbo
5- Portal Knights

Onigumo

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett
To put what a good year gaming (as an industry) had this year, I read recently that now it is equal to movies AND sports combined.

I would imagine that once the world goes back to normal that’ll change but it’s still a crazy statistic.

**** DLC!

Col_McCafferty

@nessisonett Well to be fair lots of films were delayed until next year or beyond.

This past Christmas should have seen the release of Dune and I think Kong v Godzilla as well just to mention a few.

Col_McCafferty

FullMetalWesker

I finished a fair few games this year, but as far as Playstation titles go, my favourites would probably be:

1. Resident Evil 2 Remake
2. Death Stranding
3. Okami
4. Marvel's Spider-Man
5. Detroit: Become Human

With honourable mentions going to Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey, Jedi: Fallen Order and Yakuza Kiwami.

Edited on by FullMetalWesker

FullMetalWesker

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I'd be fascinated to read what you make of The Last Guardian. No pressure, but I think you'd find it really interesting, regardless of whether you end up loving it or hating it.

@Th3solution You've never led me astray! Your slate is clean (for now)!

But yeah, I think it's ultimately Mr. Kojima's involvement and legacy which has always kept Death Stranding on my "not if, but when" pile. Hearing positive impressions from people I trust (like your good self) just makes it a case of sooner, rather than later. So I'm grateful, thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.