Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 2,111

Thrillho

@Voltan That version seems to just be the game with some extra skins so “next level edition” seems a bit of a generous name!

I played BL2 through to NG++ back on the PS3 and then got the Handsome Collection on PS4 and so played it again along with the pre-sequel. The Telltale game was good fun too.

I think BL3 came out not long after I’d played the Collection so I was a bit burned out with the games by then.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Voltan

@Thrillho good to know but it's the only one on sale on PSN anyway

I tihnk I played the first one and the pre-sequel but didn't get far in either of them. Too much focus on loot for my taste, probably.

Voltan

sorteddan

@Thrillho
If you like Borderlands gameplay and humour you will enjoy 3 - it's pretty much more of the same, though has introduced some new elements like climbing, which I wasn't overly fond of.
Personally I thought it was a bit too long for my liking - cant recall exact times but remember just wanting to see the end for the last quarter of it (though I was going for 100% and all trophies).

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@Thrillho I’ve looked at Borderlands 3 before, having really enjoyed the first two, especially BL2. But it seems people cooled off to BL3 pretty quickly for whatever reason. Actually I’ve seen disc copies going for $20 or less for many months now. I agree the free PS5 upgrade makes it more tempting. I haven’t even played The Pre-sequel yet, so I wasn’t going to jump into BL3 until I at least tried that one. I’ll be curious what you think of you do decide to try it.

————

I think I might have asked about the Metro series before but I forget what was said. Obviously I decided to hold off on jumping in, but it continued to have a curiosity —
Piqued again by the sale now. A PS4 port of the older games Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light come in a collection called Metro Redux, which is on sale for $6. That’s $3 a piece, which sounds like a steal, I can’t even get a preowned disc copy of Redux for less than $15. The newer game Metro Exodus is frequently on sale too, now $20. I’m considering just getting the Redux collection and seeing if I like them enough to get Exodus, but I do understand the gameplay has evolved a fair bit through the trilogy. But if I recall correctly the story builds with each installment so it would seem important to play them in order.

Anyways, I haven’t a clue when I would get around to them, but for the cost of a couple tacos, two well regarded games seems like a good investment. Anyone recommend the series?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution The Pre-Sequel is fine. It set up Handsome Jack’s character nicely as part of the story and is fine overall. The playable characters are all ones you come across in the other games (I played as Athena).

It’s mostly more of the same as BL2 with a couple of new features. Much more of it is in “space” so you have low G but also have to worry about O2 levels which is less fun. The humour is similar but with an Australian slant given the team made it are based there.

And reading players’ reviews for BL3 doesn’t sell it to me! Most of the time on that site, low scores are for non-gaming reasons but I had to go through quite a lot of well written negative reviews to find some with good things to say!

Thanks for your thoughts though @Sorteddan which are in keeping with the sort of thing I just mentioned.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho I almost bought BL3 from Simply Games for a tenner a couple of weeks ago, but I'm trying to refrain from buying games unless I'm gonna playing them pretty much straight away. And I wasn't feeling it at the moment, so I did not end up going for it. At this point I'll probably just wait until it comes on Plus or Now.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

I played Metro: Last Light @Th3solution on PS3 (The original metro never came to it I believe) and really quite enjoyed it from what I remember.

I don't give most FPS's the time of day unless it has some interesting hook to it (Bioshock & DOOM for example) but it was really quite well done. I thought the survival mechanics involving the gasmask were well implimented as you traverse the surface and the game's currency being special high powered bullets gave it a very interesting risk/reward factor.

The story was interesting story too and the setting was rather unique.

I did play Metro: Exodus and that was rather good too though I did get side tracked by other games and didn't end up going back to it. The load times in that are LONG. The PS5 upgrade (Whenever that comes out) should smooth it over as that was the only real complaint I had about it as the story was still rather facinating and the characters were rather good too!

Pretty sure @nessisonett is a fan of the Metro titles too!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Sounds encouraging, since you’ve pretty much described my relationship with FPS too. I’ve gradually become more open to the FOV and gameplay loops through recent playthroughs of DOOM and Titanfall 2, and am currently playing through The Outet Worlds — but it’s still not my preferred genre. So you didn’t feel lost having not played the first game 2033? Would you describe the game as very difficult? How intense are the horror elements? I’m not very skilled so wouldn’t want to get into something too hard, and as far as horror/thriller themed games we all know I can be a wuss but recent Resident Evil playthroughs have started to make a man outta me. 😜 And thanks for reminding me about the load times of Exodus, I had forgotten about that issue. Not a game-breaker, but it does factor into things.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Apologies @Th3solution but I played it sometime round it's release (so we're talking 2013/14) and I went through it only the once (Though really I should've went back to replay it before Exodus) so my memories regarding the specifics are a little rather foggy!

As far as I recall the game did a pretty decent summary of the first title? The events of the first game do carry over but I don't particularly recall being lost at any point.

I... don't think the horror elements were that intense at all? At least to me they weren't? (This point I'm really quite unsure about)

As for the difficulty I played it on normal and from what I remember there was a good sense of challenge. I don't think I used any of the high quality bullets as ammunition, only as currency.

Sorry that's not as useful as you might've been hoping Sol! 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Th3solution @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Honestly, I’d recommend 2033 first. The second game doesn’t really summarise the first one and the first game is also really really good. The horror elements aren’t that full on but it’s more of a creepy vibe. There’s a couple of levels in 2033 that I’d rate up there with the best FPS levels of all time. Exodus is also a straight up classic, minus the load times of course!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Nice! So it sounds like a good deal for the tiny price. Not sure if you played on PS4 but do the Redux versions of 2033 and Last Light function (fps & technical stuff) well and graphically do they look good? I watched a couple videos and there seems to be a jump in visual quality with the 3rd game.

nessisonett

@Th3solution The first two are almost 10 years old so they do look like a PS3 game on the PS4 but they’re functional! The third game is pretty new though and is probably the most graphically impressive game I’ve played on PS4. The PS5 version should be even better because the PC version has a graphics setting called Extreme which isn’t designed for modern systems, as they’ve made the game scalable for the future.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I played exodus after only playing the first game very briefly, and I didn't feel at a disadvantage from a story perspective. Exodus is ace though and plays a bit differently to your average FPS game. Such an immersive experience.

My outlook on buying games at the moment is that unless I'm going to play them pretty soon after buying them, I won't buy them. I usually have a game which scratches a similar itch in my backlog and it doesn't really matter how cheap the game is, that is money still wasted if I never get round to playing it.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Don't do it. I absolutely hated it when I bought it and not played the previous two games. I compare it to walking on white hot broken glass whilst bare foot. I imagine, as I've not done that. But I backed it on kickstarter, so maybe I'm bitter over it. If you can get it really cheap maybe go for it, but otherwise stay well away.

MaulTsir

Any one got any opinions on Far Cry 5? I enjoyed 3 but couldn't get away with 4.

MaulTsir

Thrillho

@MaulTsir It’s fine. Not much has changed mechanically between the games but there are a few changes like the game being split into different regions controlled by bosses.

The story is a bit mixed but is interesting enough.

For me 3 >>> 5 > 4

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Arugula It would be like playing God of War 3 without playing the first two, except since the narrative is so important to Shenmue, almost the entire point of the game is lost. You’d be better playing the first two.

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Untitled

My problems with the game weren't much to do with the story really, I can give or take a bad story in a video game. Just didn't find the game enjoyable to play.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Who knows if I'd enjoyed it if I had not paid full price (or the Kickstarter price), I doubt it though as I found it a very dull experience.

jdv95

@Jecht_Ultima for that price you can't go wrong either way.

the gameplay seems boring but it's actually kinda addicting.
the story is weird ofcourse but has a great soundtrack.

and it does have a couple of suprises along the way...

jdv95

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic