Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,821 to 1,840 of 1,859

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Th3solution A smidge harder than UC2 sounds do-able then. Good, I'll stick with it. I am on Chapter 6 now 'Once a Thief' in the area with the wine barrels.

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@Sorteddan If trophies are what will swing it for you, HZD has a very achievable list; probably on par with Spider-Man and God of War in the difficulty stakes.

I have never got anywhere near a platinum for an Uncharted game..

Thrillho

Sorteddan

@Thrillho
Oh I got platinum on all 3 of the remastered versions. Crushing was not as difficult as you might think, suppose it depends how determined you can be. There were maybe 2-3 sections each game where I died A LOT!!! But if you can get past those without rage quitting or putting your joypad through the tv then definitely doable.
And personally I thought Spiderman much easier than GoW, purely due to that final valkyrie!

Edited on by Sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Kidfried

@colonelkilgore who's mr gameplay king?

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wholeheartedly agree that not all open world games need to have a living open world. I thought Horizon's world was a perfect arena, it didn't need to be anymore for me. But in a year in which Breath of the Wild released, many criticized HZD for lacking in that department.

And I definitely agree that Horizon had some pretty good story beats, and personally I was enamored with Aloy's character.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman To echo what others has said, I highly recommend you give HZD a go. It would be a shame for you to miss one the best on PS4 just because you may or may not like it for there being robots in the game.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Bentley-Ma-

@TheBrandedSwordsman The Order: 1886 comes to mind. It's fairly short, but you can get it cheap nowadays. The setting is obviously completely different from Uncharted 4, but it's a linear, story driven game. Not to mention that it's still one of the best looking games on PS4.

Edit: I see it has already been recommended!

Edited on by Bentley-Ma-

Life is like a box of chocolates... I don't have a box of chocolates either.

PSN: Mat-Ben-

Kidfried

@colonelkilgore The older I'm getting the more I got aware how important gameplay is to me.

I always used to say "gameplay over graphics" back in my younger years. But during this last generation I really learnt what that meant for me.

Basically you can give me the dumbest story, terrible voice acting or ugly graphics and what have you, because I will praise a game to death if the gameplay has me hooked.

The biggest horde in Days Gone, the time trials from AstroBot, my first Tetris 99 win, perfectly killing a Valkyrie in God of War; those were my favorite moments in gaming from last year. And they're all gameplay moments.

So, yes, I'm "one of those".

Kidfried

PSVR_lover

@Kidfried

You are so right. I myself loved the The Invisible Hours, it’s unique way of using the move controllers to play the game had me hooked. I’ve played it several times and will have this game in my collection always.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Kidfried

Squires, I need your help.

Of course I'm looking forward to Horizon Forbidden Dawn (why am I calling it that in my head?). But I have to admit something here: I have not played Frozen Wilds yet.

Now, I played the main game at launch, so it's been almost four years since I last touched the game. I bought the DLC ages ago, but never got around to it. Should I still play the DLC?

• Is it essential? Is it good?
  • I haven't touched this game in a long time, and will just resume the game the way I left it in 2017. Will it be difficult? Will I easily get back into the game?

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried

Kidfried wrote:

Is it essential?

It ties into the main story, but I doubt you'll have trouble understanding Forbidden West without it, so probably not.

Kidfried wrote:

Is it good?

Yeah. I mean, it's about what you'd expect from a really good DLC expansion: new robots, an interesting story, and a new region of the world to explore that feels like its own thing. It's Horizon's Blood and Wine, basically. Decently lengthy if you engage with side-content as well.

Kidfried wrote:

I haven't touched this game in a long time, and will just resume the game the way I left it in 2017. Will it be difficult? Will I easily get back into the game?

Impossible to say, but I did take a year-long break from the game after plat'ing it before returning to TFW, and it didn't take me long to get back into the swing of things. It helps that the region has its own story and feels fairly distinct from the main game. You seem like an intelligent and resourceful person, so I'm guessing it won't take long to re-invest.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine expansion; Gnosia (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I can only reinforce what Ral's already said. There were a few minor eyebrow-raising revelations I found in the plot of The Frozen Wilds, but nothing that can't (and probably won't) be covered in Forbidden West somehow. I'm sure it'll still work without it.

Otherwise yes, it's a miniature version of the core game, and a very pretty one at that. I actually thought it had a better balance of combat and platforming, but it doesn't change the gameplay in any seismic way, so your muscle memory should kick back in eventually. It does throw one of its new and challenging robots at you right away, so maybe do a quick lap of wherever you load back in and make sure you're well-stocked on healing items and high-powered weaponry, and hunt a few smaller robot packs to get your eye in.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Kidfried I started it over a year since finishing the main game and didn't get very far. I kept getting annihilated by pretty much the first robot I came across and haven't been back since.

Thrillho

Kidfried

@Thrillho Haha, between the lines I'm reading 'dont do it' there!

Thanks for all replies so far!

Kidfried

Thrillho

@Kidfried I picked it up one of eternal sales and just bounced off it for something else. I’d still like to go back to it at some point but there’s always something else to play first!

Thrillho

Ralizah

@RogerRoger @Kidfried @Thrillho Stock up on blaze canisters is all I'll say. Them Frostclaws wanted to tear me a new one!

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine expansion; Gnosia (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Thrillho @TheBrandedSwordsman @colonelkilgore (Moving the discussion here as it’s more fitting on this thread...) I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle it yet, but I’m warming up to the idea of Dark Souls 3. I did a little research and it’s quite overwhelming to look at the depth of builds and options. I know that’s one of the real strengths of these games is the near infinite replayability due to challenging enemies and so many ways to build your character. I remember when I was trying to get through Bloodborne that I found a good guide on getting stats to a “sweet spot” where it maximized your ability and defense before it caused upscaling of the enemy, ....or something like that. I don’t remember the details of how it worked but I had a target build that seemed a good goal to hit for persons like me trying to do a first run. I found a few builds on the Fextralife that seemed like they looked promising for a less-experienced player, but I didn’t see anything obvious about avoidance of hitting certain numbers on some categories which could backfire on you. It’s all pretty complex. Any advice on build?

Also, related question — coming off Bloodborne (which has been a couple years ago now) would you suggest going with a shield? I think my playstyle is more action/hack and slash-like as done I’m BB, rather than the defense/parry/strategize style. Yet, people say having a shield makes DS easier for beginners. To me it sounds more boring and I’ve never been one to utilize shields in games. (That said, in GoW recently I did start to enjoy the shield combat and parry abilities, but I just never have been good at that). If you say I really need to start with a shield set up and learn to use it I can, but that goes against my personal inclinations.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Th3solution I would say go for a Strength/Dex build - the classic build, but make sure you put points into Vigor as well, I think that is your HP bar, it's either that or Vitality, I always get them mixed up, but you can Google it, with regard to the shield, if you beat Bloodborne without one, why would you need one for DS3? It's the same s*** ,after all, practically speaking, the combat is very fast-paced but against certain bosses later in the game you may need one, there are always cheese strategies or summons though that negate the necessity of a shield, you can always run past enemies to get to the boss for the most part, unlike Dks1 or Demon's Souls, due to the enemy placement in those games, but enemy placement is a lot more forgiving in Dks3, just like in Bloodborne.

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution so it depends on your style but I would suggest finding a decent 100% defence shield pretty early on just to ease your way into the game. You don’t need a party shield (unless you want to of course) but just one to block attacks while your getting acclimated.

Personally, I’m a ‘dodge-roller’ as my defensive go to with a two-handed ultra great sword but it’s whatever you feel comfortable with. I think sword and board would be a great introduction for you and then expand from there. The possibilities are almost endless in Souls (as opposed to Bloodborne where while it is my favourite game ever, it is far more limited in terms of build variety).

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic