Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,781 to 1,800 of 2,111

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @TheBrandedSwordsman @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the input! All very useful. Ya know, I didn’t even try many different weapons in BB. I think I just lucked out choosing the Sawblade (I think that’s what it’s called) at the beginning and that carried me through a huge portion of the game until I transitioned over to the Greatsword... starts with an “L”.. Loriant? Longimer?... whatever it was called 😂, I ended up doing late game stuff with that mostly. Anyways, the experimentation part of things might be the way to go. When I played DS1 back on PS3 I did a standard shield and sword / Knight class and I don’t recall being near as engaged with the combat as I was with BB. But times change and I’m a much more patient and mature gamer now, so perhaps it would work.

I’m seriously considering playing it due to the Dark Souls FOMO I’m feeling on the forums! 😅. My plan had been to have Demon’s Souls be my next Souls game but alas.... my faith in getting a PS5 this year just keeps dwindling so I don’t think I can count on that anytime soon.

Question mostly for Foxy — Code Vein is actually also in my backlog, so from knowing what you know about me and based on your experience, what is better to start with between Code Vein and Dark Souls 3? I think I remember you saying DS3 was your least favorite of the trilogy of I remember correctly, but do you think CV would be a good way to warm up to the combat again, given it’s a little easier with the NPC companion mechanics? Or would it even make much difference? With no option for Demon’s Souls, I could go either way.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution so the combat IS better and therefore more engaging in Bloodborne... but you can play DS3 ‘somewhat’ similarly. And Ludwig’s Holy Blade maybe... maybe my favourite game weapon of all time, so satisfying to use.

Also, I know you angled this next one at Foxy in particular but I’ll chip in for what it’s worth (& if you don’t mind of course)... Code Vein is ‘fine’. It’s becoming a common line from myself on here that ‘I’m yet to play a Souls-like I haven’t liked’ and as Code Vein (imo) is a Souls-like, that statement obviously applies to CV... but it would be pretty far down the quality list in Souls-likes tbh. It’s (again) ‘fine’ but the level design is considerably more simplistic and the combat is floaty at best. It feels like the huge, impressive (looking) weaponry is made out of polystyrene and that hits don’t have that satisfying ‘connect’. Personally, I would only suggest CV for people who have rinsed the Dark Souls games and are now looking for something similar but new.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution With regard to the Foxy question - Go for Dark Souls 3, it's a much better game imo.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yes! Ludwig... that’s the word I was looking for. Ludwig’s Holy Blade. Yea it was pretty much the all-around destroyer there on the second half. That is, until a certain section with these big brutes and wolves that were really susceptible to the lighting/electric effects of that mace-looking thing that has electrical powers... 😂 I forget the name 🤣, give me a break though — it’s been a couple years! Anyways, I used that weapon exclusively for that section and it worked brilliantly and was the best place to grind in the whole game. It was also useful against one or two bosses... I think the big spider one was the boss that comes to mind that I spammed the electrical attacks against.

Wow, the more I think about it, the more I realize I did experiment a little bit with a few weapons gradually through the game. But choosing the Sawblade was key to enjoying the early game and getting past that first werewolf dude.

@TheBrandedSwordsman I figured the DS quality was overall better and so perhaps it makes sense to start off with the better of the two. I was just wondering if it was a better training ground since it’s a touch easier in general, especially the early game, if I remember correctly from what I read.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution It probably is better training ground for sure, those early levels are absolutely fine and I was able to do some grinding after the second boss. If I remember correctly the optional boss in the third area's defeat allows you to create boss weapons from boss souls.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

HallowMoonshadow

No Dark Souls III is my favourite actually @Th3solution 😄 I'm not too keen on Bloodborne myself because of the lack of build/weapon variety and I enjoy the dark fantasy/medievally setting a smidge more the victorian setting. Not a bad game by any means though. Just not my cup of tea.

As for your question... When I was playing through Code Vein in December & January I did say I found it a lot easier to play through myself. It would probably be a good way to warm yourself up to the souls mechanics again sol after being away from them for so long.

As @colonelkilgore says though the combat is a little floaty and I think that's partialy down to some of the team comprising of people who worked on the God Eater games? (Which is bandai namco's anime Monster Hunter series if you weren't aware) from trying the demo of the third GE it did have some similarities in how it felt (along with a few other things).

It's ultimately up to you. I enjoyed my time with Code Vein and I believe @nessisonett did too. Code Vein won't light your world on fire but I found it a solid entry and I appreciated there was a bit more of an upfront focus on the story/narrative compared to souls and the backstories of the all the characters getting a little more fleshed out too (Even if the characters aren't anything particularly special).

I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it and came out pleasantly surprised. I'd say there's a solid base there to be built upon for future installments too (If Bandai Namco ever stops pumping out anime arena fighters 😧)

Plus it has that lovely photo mode Sol!

Untitled

Dark Souls III is obviously the better game of course (Better level/world design, setting and combat) but I'd say Code Vein has it's merits! I'm hopefully gonna start actually writing a review for it soon... But uhh... Don't quote me on that 😄

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Yep, I also go for two handed greatswords on bosses but one handed with a shield for mobs. It’s too easy to get murdered while out and about without a shield.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution You could just play the game and see if you like it? You might be over thinking things a little and making it more complicated than it actually is. It might be a tad overwhelming at first, but it will be no matter how much you deliberate and help you get before hand.

Start a game, if you like it continue to play it. If you don't like it, stop playing and move on to something else. It should be that simple.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder But that’s too logical! 😛

But yeah, at the end of the day, that’s what I’ll do. I do try to give a game like this plenty of breathing room to warm up to; I’m certain that the first hour isn’t going to be a particularly stellar experience, so will plan accordingly.
My next game was going to be something else but the peer pressure has gradually moved Dark Souls 3 up the list 😄, so I’m just going to follow my mood. I haven’t had game time this week anyways. Hopefully tomorrow.

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution good to know my peer pressure skills are still effective, haven't dusted those things off since the 90's 🤣

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

What would you say about Control Ultimate Edition on PS4, people? @Th3solution says it's performance is allegedly spotty on PS4, but I am hoping the Ultimate Edition addresses some of those technical issues. How does the difficulty compare to games like Uncharted 4?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman The performance on PS4 actively makes the game experience worse. I probably remember more about the issues I experienced than the actual game, which is a real shame. Might be better to wait for a PS5!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman I didn't think the PS4 version of Control Ultimate Edition offered any performance upgrades over the normal edition? You get all the dlc but only the PS5 version has the technical and performance upgrades.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MaulTsir

Days Gone completed. I'm now looking for what I should start next before Mass Effect is released.

I have a good few options I will give my pro and cons and would appreciate any feed back in to some of these games.

The next 3 on my list are

Resident Evil 2 Remake - Love Resident Evil but after my last 2 games being TLOU2 and Days Gone I'm on a bit of a Zombie burnout. But I've heard its about 10 - 12 hours to complete and about 20 for the plat so it isn't to much of a time sink.

Death Stranding - Its probably a 100 hour investment and after Days Gone I'm looking for something not as heavy although I'm really excited to try this out but don't want to get burnt out on another long haul and give it up.

Final Fantasy XV Remake - Can't wait to play this, about 40 hours I hear so not overly long loved the original and I'm a big final fantasy fan especially for 7, 8 and 9. It's getting a upgrade for ps5 so could wait till then.

Also I have available

Tomb Raider Trilogy - Own all 3 and would probably want to play all 3 close together similar how I did with the Nathan Drake Collection with little brakes of sports or multiplayer gaming in between to brake it up.

God of War - Completed but want the plat, would require another playthrough though as I didn't transfer any data from my ps4 to ps5, con is that I've got alot of games in my backlog so this would be taken a new games place.

Control Ultimate Edition - Not sure how long it takes and not a game I've ever been overly excited by but the gameplay looks cool and it was on ps plus so will definitely give it a try.

Greedfall - Same as above

Persona 5 - Definitely want to give it a go but it's another 100 hour game

Edited on by MaulTsir

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@MaulTsir Congrats on completing Days Gone. Your short list of choices for the next game has some really great ones and you probably can’t go wrong with any of them.
I’ve played all of them except Control, FF7R (I’m assuming the XV was a typo), and Greedfall and those 3 are also in my backlog too. Based on some impressions I’ve read, Greedfall is one I’ll probably skip unless I get really in a mood for it. And Persona 5 is one that I’m currently playing through gradually and have been for a couple years 😅.

If I were approaching this list and knowing you have 2 months (or more, depending if ME stays on schedule), I’d probably go with Death Stranding or Control. Death Stranding because it’s an absolute gem in my opinion and although it can take 100 hours, it’s probably more like 60-80 depending on how much you want the platinum. I never grew tired of it in my 80 or so hours with it, although I fell short of the platinum a little bit and mostly just heard the beckoning call of my backlog so I didn’t pursue the last few trophies. The only bad part is that it is technically a horror/thriller game and although it’s not zombies per se, you may want to save it since you’ve had your fill of that. It’s also open world, which you’ve just finished one of those. (RE2 is also a favorite of mine, but I can see the issue there with zombie overload)

Control would fill a void since it’s different from the genre you’ve been playing. It’s quite a bit shorter. And although you don’t have a particular interest in it, I think it’s worth a whirl since you have a PS5 to play it on. But like I say, I haven’t played it myself so hopefully it’s not garbage. 😄

TR would also be a great break from zombies, but it might be tough to squeeze them all into 2 months, but you could probably do it. And honestly it might be a little much to play them back to back and you might burn out on them — they are less narrative driven than Uncharted and a bit longer games.

MaulTsir

@Th3solution thanks for the input, yeah I did mean VII auto fill just finished it for me 🤣.

Looking on how long to beat I believe I could possibly get 2 mabye 3 completed, if I try control at about 15 hours, then final fantasy remake at rough 35 hours then Resident Evil 2 at about 12 hours I could get them 3 polished off, plus that gives me a break from zombies for 2 games and have a place for Death Stranding in between Mass Effect 2 and 3 to brake them up.

Edited on by MaulTsir

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@MaulTsir That sounds like a good plan. And there’s a little flexibility built in that way and if you take longer on one of them then you can just delay it.

I will say that people are reporting that God of War plays almost like a new game with the PS5 upgrade. It might be worth a go at some point to try to get that platinum! 😛 But I hear you about the backlog — I usually move along because there are so many new games to play and experience.

Also, I keep hearing murmurings about a Death Stranding PS5 upgrade, if that makes any difference to you. Honestly I kinda doubt it will happen so I wouldn’t plan on it. Since Kojima isn’t a first party studio, I can’t see the incentive to devote time and effort into an upgrade.

Edited on by Th3solution

Thrillho

Has anyone played Borderlands 3 and got some thoughts on the game? It’s on sale all the time and I was pretty hyped for it at the time but ultimately never got it.

Seeing as it’s one of a handful of games with a PS5 upgrade I’m tempted by it again now.

Thrillho

Voltan

@Thrillho ooh, that is not a bad price for the "next level edition"... I'll have to look up how it differes from the previous ones though, becasue while I liked some elements of them, they never really clicked and I stopped playing them pretty quick (only had them from PS Plus)

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic